What's your favorite way to get your protein in?

Options
Hopefully this isn't already a topic somewhere, I looked thru and didn't see one.

Tell me your favorite way to get your protein in.

I set a target as a gram per pound of weight, which would be 157 for me. But I struggle to get to 100, even on days when I work out and have a protein shake.

I'm not a huge fan of greek yogurt or cottage cheese. Greek yogurt is ok mixed with things (such as mixed with some Better N Peanut butter and a little cinnamon and hony, to dip apples in!). Most will find this disgusting - the only way I eat cottage cheese is with maple syrup, it's a family thing, but don't need all of that sugar. Haven't tried that with pure maple syrup yet.

I made the protein bars from the recipe in the book last night. Gummy, yucky looking mess. I didn't have flaxseed but I doubt that would change the consistency much. Brought one for my snack today but must say, I'm not really looking forward to it!

So what do you all do to get your protein in? Recipes welcome!

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I drink a Premier Protein shake (chocolate or vanilla) mixed into my coffee every morning. (... and sometimes one with coffee in the afternoon, too!)

30 grams of protein in each one, and it saves me empty calories for creamer.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I eat my breakfast on the way to work...premier protein bar with a tea...I feel like I get to eat a chocolate bar in the morning. Chocolate peanut butter is the best! 30 g of protein. Have you tried just a little bit of brown sugar splenda to your cottage cheese...give it the sweetness without all the maple syrup. Or those small containers of diced peaches in cottage cheese....yummo!

Also I make a chocolate "mousse" with 1 cup protein powder, Greek yogurt and cocoa powder! Yummmmmmmy!!! Slice some banana on top or add fresh raspberries!!! Dessert!
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I need to get better about my protein. I was good for awhile and I've sort of slacked off.

I drink a protein shake after my lifting days and that helps a lot (around 25-30g of protein/shake). On the morning of lifting days I usually make some old fashioned oats and mix in about half a scoop of protein powder. At lunch I try and mix in some protein (tuna, chicken, etc.) with my salads. I will try and snack on some nut mix as well.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Salad with canned salmon is a great lunch. Quinoa is a good high-protein grain. I make sure to ALWAYS eat whole grain bread to get some protein there. Beans have some protein, too! I am going to have sprouted lentils for lunch today...not sure how they taste, but they have extra protein.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Protein powder mixed with oatmeal or a Green Monster/100% Fruit Juice Smoothies, chicken in my salad, peanut butter, whole grain breads, beans, nuts, milk.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Breakfast = eggs
    Lunch = chicken or steak
    Dinner = chicken or steak
    PWO = Myprotein choc smooth with creatine and vit c
    Snacks = Greek yoghurt or almonds
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options
    Greek yoghurt with pecans, raspberries, banana and stevia or a little honey to sweeten. LOVE that as a snack.

After exercise I eat protein powder pudding with skim milk and banana/berries.
    Eggs are a staple for breakfast and they are so filling and delicious too.
    I sometimes make salad with tuna on top and hard boiled eggs as well.
    I also eat leftovers from yesterday's dinner almost every day. Usually meat or fish.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I like to have ground chicken with shredded cheese for dinner, or chicken and bean mexican soup with cheese or something like that.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well. I've been eating the Pure Protein high protein bars after my runs lately. They have about 30g of protein for 280 calories or so. And I drink Syntrax Nectar protein drink which is 23g of protein for about 100 calories (I know that is a better tradeoff than the bar, but I like to have actual food post-run). I get some protein from veggies during the day, and then try to eat either lean beef, fat free refried beans, or chicken for dinner to get more protein in. I hear yogurt and certain kinds of cheese are great sources of protein, unfortunately I'm lactose intolerant so meat and protein supplements seems to be the easiest way for me. Sometimes I won't have time to make the drink, or sometimes will have a low-protein dinner and then I'll be well below the 90 or so grams I try to get every day, so it's still a work in progress for me.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake in the morning. I make my own with almond mik, frozen strawberries, vanilla protein powder, and spinach.

Some kind of meat wrap for lunch...usually with leftover chicken breast from dinner the night before or tuna.

Meat and veggies for dinner.

Greek yogurt, nuts, cheese, etc. for snacks.

Have you tried the Yoplait Greek 100 yogurts? YUMMY!! I take the vanilla and mix in organic trail mix for a boost of healty fats and protein. TO DIE FOR!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add that Beef Jerky is a great source of protein too.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I do loves me some beef jerky, too!
  • feelgoodnic
    feelgoodnic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Chocolate protein pancakes, when I have time to make them for breakfast. So friggin' good.

Greek Yogurt and berries, maybe a sprinkle of cinnamon or cocoa.

Porridge and egg whites with a blob of chocolate peanut butter. I was surprised at how good this turned out.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,957 Member
    Options
    I rely on protein shakes and protein bars. Not glamorous, but it gets it done, for me!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Breakfast(which I rarely eat anymore): Eggs and turkey sausage. You can make a burrito ahead of time if you're always in a hurry
    Lunch: chicken, steak, ground turkey, fish
    Dinner: Same as lunch
    Snacks: Chocolate milk, protein bars,
  • heyjay31
    heyjay31 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Eggs, chicken, fish, peanut butter and apples (as you mentioned...YUM) whole grains, protein shake, I do like cottage cheese with pineapples or peaches. Protein bars for snacks
  • angela1700
    angela1700 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake every morning for breakfast. (vanilla protein powder, milk, banana, and some berries)

I have some sort of protein at lunch and dinner. Chicken, steak, tuna, etc.

I too am still not meeting my macro for protein, but, adding the protein shake in the morning certainly helps.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to add that one of my favorite things to do is to make banana bread or pumpkin bread with protein powder added.
    To make two loaves, I use:
    3 scoops vanilla protein powder
    1.5 cups mashed banana
    1/2 cup applesauce
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup truvia baking blend (or equivalent of your preference)
    1box sugar free vanilla pudding mix
    1/3 cup milk
    2 1/2 cups oat or whole wheat flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    Add: chocolate chips or nuts.

It's really yummy, has 8-9 grams protein per slice and healthy fats and fiber. It freezes great.
  • tigertrax3
    tigertrax3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie so i'm still practicing with the protein, but my favorite way so far is a "chocolate milkshake". A cup of milk(i use lowfat silk) a cup of ice and a scoop of chocolate protein powder. Blend. Helps with the sweet and chocolate cravings i get too. Oh and i LOVE pitaschios!
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to add that one of my favorite things to do is to make banana bread or pumpkin bread with protein powder added.
    To make two loaves, I use:
    3 scoops vanilla protein powder
    1.5 cups mashed banana
    1/2 cup applesauce
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup truvia baking blend (or equivalent of your preference)
    1box sugar free vanilla pudding mix
    1/3 cup milk
    2 1/2 cups oat or whole wheat flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    Add: chocolate chips or nuts.

It's really yummy, has 8-9 grams protein per slice and healthy fats and fiber. It freezes great.

yummy! How many cals per slice??? That would be delish!