Two Weeks In

Options
berthabunny
berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
I have been EM2WL for two weeks now, and weigh two and a half pounds more than I did when I started. I had also dropped a few pounds right before starting EM2WL, so I am the same as I was three weeks ago. Is this about where I should be? And how long can I expect this to last before I lose some weight, and will I likely gain more before that?
I know there are lots of answers in the stickies, but I would love to hear some personal stories on how it worked for you.
Thanks!

Replies

• Gapwedge01
    Options
    I have been EM2WL for two weeks now, and weigh two and a half pounds more than I did when I started. I had also dropped a few pounds right before starting EM2WL, so I am the same as I was three weeks ago. Is this about where I should be? And how long can I expect this to last before I lose some weight, and will I likely gain more before that?
    I know there are lots of answers in the stickies, but I would love to hear some personal stories on how it worked for you.
    Thanks!

I personally just completed a 4 week reset and gained 6 pounds (obviously not all of that was fat, mostly water retention). However, once I began my new deficit I lost all of the 6 pounds I gained on reset and in week 2 of reset I have lost 2 additional pounds so a net loss of 2 from my stall. I had been stalled since 10/24/12.

Your reset may need to be as long or longer than mine. I did not eat a VLCD and the few months I did eat below my calculated BMR was only 4 months. So, personally speaking, I did not feel I needed to reset for 8-12 weeks as recommended.

Two things I will incorporate going forward from here as I begin my new deficit is that for every 4 weeks at deficit I will reset or increase my calorie intake for a week then go back to my deficit for another 4 weeks. I don't want to experience another 90 stall. The other thing is I purchased a digital food scale. I found while in my stall my "eyeballing" food portions was way off. I have had the scale now for 2 days and it has already made a difference in my correct calorie calculation. I know everything is estimates at best, but before the food scales my estimates were way off to the upside.
  • berthabunny
    Options
    Thanks!

I personally just completed a 4 week reset and gained 6 pounds (obviously not all of that was fat, mostly water retention). However, once I began my new deficit I lost all of the 6 pounds I gained on reset and in week 2 of reset I have lost 2 additional pounds so a net loss of 2 from my stall. I had been stalled since 10/24/12.

Your reset may need to be as long or longer than mine. I did not eat a VLCD and the few months I did eat below my calculated BMR was only 4 months. So, personally speaking, I did not feel I needed to reset for 8-12 weeks as recommended.

Two things I will incorporate going forward from here as I begin my new deficit is that for every 4 weeks at deficit I will reset or increase my calorie intake for a week then go back to my deficit for another 4 weeks. I don't want to experience another 90 stall. The other thing is I purchased a digital food scale. I found while in my stall my "eyeballing" food portions was way off. I have had the scale now for 2 days and it has already made a difference in my correct calorie calculation. I know everything is estimates at best, but before the food scales my estimates were way off to the upside.

Good to hear! I was eating below BMR, and exercising 7+ times a week for about 4 months too, I increased to BMR + about 3/4 exercise calories two weeks ago. SO I'll see where I am in another two weeks and decide where to go from there.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Good to hear! I was eating below BMR, and exercising 7+ times a week for about 4 months too, I increased to BMR + about 3/4 exercise calories two weeks ago. SO I'll see where I am in another two weeks and decide where to go from there.

Sounds like up in calories big time.

Expect to gain some weight as body is finally able to at the least replenish glucose stores, with required water. I doubt you are eating enough to actually make improvements because of the exercise.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options

Sounds like up in calories big time.

Expect to gain some weight as body is finally able to at the least replenish glucose stores, with required water. I doubt you are eating enough to actually make improvements because of the exercise.

I agree with Heybales. I don't have near the cardio built into my weekly routine as you. Most of mine now is lifting. Later in the year when my cycling season begins in earnest I will re-assess my calorie needs.
  • berthabunny
    Options
    So you're saying I need to continue upping my calories for the next two weeks (or longer)?
    I was eating 1300-1400 (BMR is 1533), while averaging 700-1100 calories burned, with Sunday as a rest day. Until two weeks ago, when I upped my calories. I have been eating 1800-2200 calories since then, depending on how much I exercises that day. TDEE is more like 2500 (I forget exactly), but I was worried about adding so many so quickly.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    So you're saying I need to continue upping my calories for the next two weeks (or longer)?
    I was eating 1300-1400 (BMR is 1533), while averaging 700-1100 calories burned, with Sunday as a rest day. Until two weeks ago, when I upped my calories. I have been eating 1800-2200 calories since then, depending on how much I exercises that day. TDEE is more like 2500 (I forget exactly), but I was worried about adding so many so quickly.

If your BMR is 1533 what does your weekly exercise schedule look like? How many minutes per week? What kind of exercise? If your weekly exercise routine is consistent and your activity factor matches then you would not eat your exercise calories back. You would take a % cut from your TDEE and eat that. What %? Depends how much weight do you still want to lose. Closer to goal the less the % cut.
  • berthabunny
    Options

If your BMR is 1533 what does your weekly exercise schedule look like? How many minutes per week? What kind of exercise? If your weekly exercise routine is consistent and your activity factor matches then you would not eat your exercise calories back. You would take a % cut from your TDEE and eat that. What %? Depends how much weight do you still want to lose. Closer to goal the less the % cut.

Tweener TDEE (5-6/7-21 hours strenuous exercise): 2776
    20% cut: 2220.8
    15% cut: 2359.6

I am 151 lb and want to get down to 130-135 lb, is a 20% cut OK? I am just getting up to eating about 2100-2200 on a regular basis. Do I still want to stick to that on days of less to no exercise? Since I am a swimmer, we get Sunday off to recover unless we have a swim meet.
    Also, since I am resetting, do I need to get all the way up to 2700 and rest there a while before cutting back?
  • Gapwedge01
    Options

Tweener TDEE (5-6/7-21 hours strenuous exercise): 2776
    20% cut: 2220.8
    15% cut: 2359.6

I am 151 lb and want to get down to 130-135 lb, is a 20% cut OK? I am just getting up to eating about 2100-2200 on a regular basis. Do I still want to stick to that on days of less to no exercise? Since I am a swimmer, we get Sunday off to recover unless we have a swim meet.
    Also, since I am resetting, do I need to get all the way up to 2700 and rest there a while before cutting back?

What calorie level are you eating now?
    How long have you been at that level?
    Gaining any weight at that level?

I am not a swimmer, but I do know swimming burns a ton of calories. If you are resetting then you should be trying to consume nearly all of your TDEE calories @ 2700 per your calculations. You might step up your calories on a weekly basis until you get there.

Others more experienced than me can help you that will read this and make comments also.
  • berthabunny
    Options
    Up to eating at 2200, I started 2 1/2 weeks ago and have built up from 1400. I gained 2-3 lb, all in the first week, stayed at 151/152 for the past week.
    It's a huge change, which is why I thought I needed to reset, should I be?

Thank you for your help
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Up to eating at 2200, I started 2 1/2 weeks ago and have built up from 1400. I gained 2-3 lb, all in the first week, stayed at 151/152 for the past week.
    It's a huge change, which is why I thought I needed to reset, should I be?

Thank you for your help

Going from 1400 to 2200 and gaining 2-3 lbs is not unusal especially in the first week. I am guessing that is water retention. If you have not gained anymore since then than I would up to 2400 for a week or so and see how that settles out. Personally, I don't think you have reached your TDEE maintenance level yet with your high level of activity. I would shoot for 2700, but you may find out on your way up that your TDEE is a little lower than 2700. Thus the recommended stepping up process. If you begin to gain on a weekly basis after the water retention has calmed down then you have reached your TDEE or just above. Drop back a 100 or so from that and see if the weight holds steady. If so, stay there for a few weeks, before cutting. With your level of activity I would not cut more than 10%-15%.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ditto 10-15% with only 20 lbs to go, and that much cardio.

Once you get to 10 lbs, than 10%.

Now and especially then the detail to food logging will be much more impactful. Mistakes can lead to sucking up a 250 cal deficit easily.

But the other problem is at deficit you may need more food after the big days compared to smaller days.

So whatever your avg TDEE ends up being as Gap said to find it slowly, when you finally get your deficit eating level, you might trade 100-200 cal from rest day to intense day.