Breakfast

Options
Sweets1954
Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
I have not been a big breakfast fan other than making a big breakfast on the weekends or holidays. It always seemed too much work early in the morning and I really couldn't face food that early either. I have been looking for simple things that I can prepare ahead of time or make quickly on the mornings I work early. Have any of you found any good ideas? I have been making a muesli of oatmeal, milk, nuts, and honey that I can make ahead and add yogurt in the morning. One batch will last me about 5 days. I have been doing this for quite some time and am getting a little tired of it. Any suggestions?

Replies

• cherylclark2011
    cherylclark2011 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Im not a lover of breakfast either but i have since diagnosis forced myself but i have to eat it at work, so i have been getting Atkins bars/ready to drink shakes or those little snack packs of nuts and seeds you get from the supermarket.

Im trying to limit my carbs to reduce my blood sugars.

Im not sure if thats any help or not x
  • melissam226
    Options
    I actually make like half a dozen a hard boiled eggs some weeks and eat them throughout the week with like a whole wheat bagel or oatmeal. I'm pretty much a Type I now though and have had more lows than highs so you may want to skip the bagel if you're watching the carbs.

Also, I always take fruit with me to work, sometimes cut up and with cheese. I make little Ziploc bags of them so they're easy to grab.

You can also maybe make a bunch of steel cut oatmeal and portion them out for the week? Throw some frozen fruit on there and warm it up. Delicious.

I also buy the little 150 calorie or so portioned out nut packs, dried fruit, and hazelnut butter to throw on instant oatmeal or plain Greek yogurt.

Hope that helps a little! :-)
  • EinTX
    EinTX Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    During the week I rely on greek yogurt or cottage cheese for breakfast. I may or may not have fruit with them them. If I'm being efficient I will fix mini cheese cakes in a muffin tin or homemade bran muffins. I grab a couple of these and have with a cup of coffee in the morning when I'm organized. Weekends I usually fix myself an omlet with lots of veggies in it.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I've found that typical breakfast foods like oatmeal or other cereals aren't a good idea for my blood sugar levels. Fruit is another carb source I need to avoid in the morning (although I can do fruit later in the day)

While a lot of smoothie recipes are carb heavy due to the fruit, I generally rely on protein shakes - 1 scoop high quality (low sugar, high protein) whey protein and 1 c unsweetened almond milk.

Today I made grain-free protein "pancakes" that were absolutely delicious! Made extra so that tomorrow I can just pop 1 or 2 in the microwave.
  • cherylclark2011
    cherylclark2011 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've found that typical breakfast foods like oatmeal or other cereals aren't a good idea for my blood sugar levels. Fruit is another carb source I need to avoid in the morning (although I can do fruit later in the day)

While a lot of smoothie recipes are carb heavy due to the fruit, I generally rely on protein shakes - 1 scoop high quality (low sugar, high protein) whey protein and 1 c unsweetened almond milk.

Today I made grain-free protein "pancakes" that were absolutely delicious! Made extra so that tomorrow I can just pop 1 or 2 in the microwave.

Do you have any instructions for your protein pancakes, I'd be interested in trying these :happy:
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options

Do you have any instructions for your protein pancakes, I'd be interested in trying these :happy:

Sent you a message, but then thought I should post here in case anyone else is interested

The basic recipe is
    1 egg (or two egg whites)
    1 scoop protein powder
    Mix it up and pour small amounts onto a greased griddle.

These are more like crepes and are fairly eggy tasting. You'll need to experiment a little as many powders have a different size scoop.

There are a ton of really interesting protein powder flavors available. The other day, I used banana cream Muscle Pharm Combat powder. Their chocolate peanut butter would probably be excellent. I've always just stuck to plain ol-vanilla whey powders, but now I'm opening up a whole new world :-)

In addition to the basic ingredients, I added a sprinkle of slivered almonds and some flax meal for fiber. The batter was a bit thick by then, so I added a spoonful of plain Greek yogurt because I thought the tang would go well with the banana flavor. You could always just add a splash of water/milk/almond milk to thin the batter as well.

I didn't think they needed any sweetener, but YMMV. Flavored liquid stevia would probably be nice. OR, a squirt of DaVinci or Torrani sugar-free flavored coffee syrup

The end result tasted an awful lot like banana nut bread. It was a little bit dense, but the flavor was spot on!

I'm going to experiment some more this weekend. I want light and fluffy and I'm not quite there.

I have two ideas
    1. replacing some of the flax with chia gel (chia soaked in water). Almond or coconut flour would also probably lighten things up texture-wise, but those flours are pretty calorically dense, and they aren't quite the nutritional powerhouses that chia and flax are.

2. add 1 t of baking powder. Almost positive that this will turn out to be the magic "fluffifier" ;-P