Vegetarian or vegan indian ideas

Options
gaiaearth
gaiaearth Posts: 49 Member
Hi! Does anyone have suggestions on a tasty indian(ish) dish for dinner? I usually eat vegan but have some paneeer and pre-soaked chickpeas I need to use up.

Thanks, peace.

Replies

• MsCarlalalala
    Options
    Coming late to this post, but for another time in the future

1 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil, butter, ghee, or other oil (use oil for vegan)
    1 large onion, diced
    2 carrots, thinly sliced or or small diced
    2-3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 Tbsp garam masala
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 to 1 tsp paprika
    1 cup of paneer cheese (could sub cubed firm tofu for vegan and different flavor)
    3 1/2 cups cooked chi)kpeas (or 2 cans, rinsed and drained)
    1 15-oz can diced tomatoes (undrained)
    2 cups of vegetable broth (you can add more if you like more liquid, I prefer mine really thick)
    5 cups of fresh baby spinach or other leafy green
    1/4 cup fresh parsley or cilantro
    Salt and pepper to taste

In a medium pot, heat oil/butter over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots, saute for 7-8 minutes until cooked through and onions are slightly golden brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic cloves and spices and cook for another minute stirring constantly. Add your paneer cheese and saute for 1 more minute then add the chickpeas, tomatoes and broth. Let it all simmer for 5 minutes or so. Add in the remaining ingredients and cook until spinach is wilted. Season with salt and pepper.

Dinner is served.
  • gaiaearth
    gaiaearth Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm doing Indian again this week...I'll try this :)
  • NyxPhrixus
    NyxPhrixus Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm big on having curry 2-3 times a month. It's a good way to use up left over veggies that are laying around in the fridge. I use :

Patak's Curry Paste 2-3 Tbs.

1c. Water

Kidney / Black / or Chickpeas (1 can drained)

1 Onion chopped

1 can Stewed or Diced Tomatoes ( you can use fresh if you have them and add about another 1/2c. Water)

Veggies that are laying around.... Hardy green leaf (kale, spinach, chard, etc.), shredded Carrots, Garlic, Squash, etc.

Mix all everything except the veggies, unless frozen. Simmer for about 20mins and then add veggies till hot, another 10 mins or so.

It's a very flexable meal and you can use fresh and frozen veggies and meat if catering to different people for dinner! You can also serve on top of Rice or Quinoa. Hope this helps :)
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    You can search the Red Lentil Curry on here. Its Fantastic. I usually add some raisins and apple chunks. I'm sure your leftovers would be good thrown in too.Love the other ideas also .
    Enjoy, :flowerforyou: