treadmill speed/incline ?

Options

Replies

• hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3, and new to running. I set my "walk" speed at between 3.2 and 3.4, depending on how I'm feeling, and my "run" speed between 5.2 and 5.5. I usually run flat, but on the advice of my trainer I'll be using a .5 or 1 incline.
  • travelgirl77
    travelgirl77 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    For me, it really depends on how I feel. My baseline is walking at 3.5 and running at 5.0. But, there are times towards the end that I want to step it up, so I increase my running speed to 5.2, 5.4, 5.6. No incline, but I think as I get closer to my race, I will set one in. It is really neat to see what everyone is doing!
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and all torso. My poor little short legs won't carry me faster than 4.2-4.3 mph right now. I walk between 3.7 and 4, and just step it up to a slow jog for runs. I can make it about 23 minutes before I want to die...lol. I'm trying to get my endurance up and then worry about speed. Oh, and I use an incline of 1.
  • Otter1422
    Otter1422 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have done most of my weeks at 0 incline though I have toyed around a couple workouts at 2% incline. For the first 4 weeks I walked 3.8/4.0 MPH and jogged @6MPH then I hit week but somewhere around week 4 or certainly 5 as the runs got longer I slowed to 5.5/5MPH runs and 3.5 walk. Today I did week 6 workout 3 and I did 3.5 walk and 5.2 run until the last 1/4 mile and I upped it to 6 MPH.
  • chazbo35
    chazbo35 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    When I was going through c25k I was using no incline and walk/run was 3.5/5.0 . After completing the program, Ive been just trying to change little things here and there to see what I can do. I went up to 6 on the run and found I was getting too tired to finish 5k so I adjusted back down to 5.8 just last night and had the best run Ive ever had. You just have to keep making small adjustments to see what works for you. Who cares what the speed is. If you have a goal, which is to complete the run, do what works for you. Im still going to keep working to eventually get to 6 and beyond but until then, Im good with 5.8. And yes, Ive heard too that there should be a little incline in the treadmill and Im going to have to work on that one. Keep up the good work!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Now that I've finished C25K, I have the stamina to do a lot more, so I'm speeding everything up and working a lot harder.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I used to run at 5.1 on the treadmill, and then, after an outdoor run where I did 4.2, and was perfectly happy and could finish easily, I changed my treadmill speed.

My goal for now isn't to be the fastest runner. My goal is to finish, and be happy, and not look like an out-of-breath pig at the end. Speed will come, but I need to build up the stamina and distance first.
  • winterswish
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and very new to this version of pleasure/hell. I'm doing each week twice because I just don't have the confidence that my knees/feet are ready for much more than they're doing right now. So technically, I'm on W1D2, Round 2.

When I started I was walking at 2.8, running at 3.5. This "round" I'm walking at 3.2-3.5 and running at 4.0-4.2.

It hadn't really occurred to me to add an incline because I thought it would challenge my endurance prematurely, but getting closer to a "road" experience as others have mentioned would be nice. I'd like sign up for my first 5k in June. I'm not looking for a brag-worthy time, just want to get the first under my belt.

Thanks all for posting your experiences!
  • allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I walk either 3.0 - 3.5 (first two weeks I'd walk at 4.0).... and run at 5.0.. No inclines.. I am on week 3. I am 5'5" - 5'6"

This is my 2nd attempt at C25K.. the first time I made it all the way to Week 5 running between 5.5 - 6.0 with random inclines throughout... well I got stuck on Week 5 for THREE weeks... researched asked for advice here and found the most common response was SLOW DOWN.. slowed down to 5.0... breezed right through week 5... continued on, all the way to week 8 and had to have neck surgery and had to stop all that for 2 - 3 months...

Now I'm doing it again, but only running at 5.0 with no inclines... learned my lesson the first time :)

Feel free to send me a friend request and we'll run it together!! :)
  • sammiz1
    sammiz1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have read in several magazines that a incline of 1 mimicks the feel of running on the road-no incline "helps" a little bit. (I personally love the "help", but you know...). I currently jog at a .5 incline at 4.6 mph. My walking is 4mph. I'm trying to get my incline up to the 1 because I set this goal of running a 5k in July, and I want to make sure I'm ready for the difference between road vs treadmill.

I read the same thing. I am currently walking at 3.5 and running at 4.5 with a 0.5 incline. I was running at 5.0, but I was like the huffing and puffing guys. I also read that C2 5K was designed to teach you breathing and endurance...the speed comes later...So, I slowed myself down and it made a huge difference!!
  • kae_blah
    kae_blah Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I walk at 6km/hr (3.5 miles/hr) and run at 7.5km/hr (4.7 miles/hr) or higher.

Now I am going to re-read this thread with the metric - imperial translation in mind.
  • jinkies_
    Options
    W7D1 I walk 4.2 and run 5.8 at 1.5 incline. Just getting into the serious runs though so I might take it down a notch to make sure I can complete them!
  • alegna1975
    alegna1975 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just did W2D1 last night and I have been using 3.0 for walking and 4.5 for jogging. I used to do 5.0 for jogging but found I could not get through it . So I dropped just a bit and that seemed to be enough for me to still work at finishing but not so much that I was hurting myself.

Also glad I am not the only one using treadmill. My hubs has been harping on me to run outside but I am a huge sissy when it comes to being cold. Once things warm up, I will go outside!
  • davidbronkalla
    davidbronkalla Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 6 last night and i walk at 3.5mph and run at 5.1mph with a 1% incline. In the beginning I was walking at 3.2mph and jogging at 4.7mph
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I finished W7 D2 (25 min runs) at slight incline, 4.5. I am 5'2" and it was the right speed for me to finish the run.
  • sunshineaims
    sunshineaims Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did w1 d2 last night after starting eariler in the week and tried an incline after reading this and found it far better, it didnt push me too much but it felt I was at least working at it
    I did walking at 5.5 (Km) and running at 8 (km) as this is what the machines at my gym have (3.4miles/5 miles)
  • BookwomanTerri
    Options
    I just finished W1D3. I've been walking at 3mph and running at 5 with a .5 incline I kept reading to take the pace down if you are struggling - well I THOUGHT that I was already going slow. After all 5mph was the slowest running pace i could find in MFP and everyone at my gym seemed to be going faster! So it took me quite a while to complete W1D1 because of that. I really had to build up to it. I'm glad I found this group and topic so now I know I can slow down if needed in coming weeks.
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    OK, thanks everyone. I'm about average then.

I started the first 3 weeks at walking 3.7 and jog at 4.5 (I have long legs)
    This past week I had to go down so that I could do the whole 5 mins of jogging, walk at 3.5 and jog (3mins) at 4.5 and (5mins) at 4.
    no incline

It just feels so slow to me...especially when I see others running at 8's and higher!
    Jennifer

Don't worry. I was very similar in the beginning - and am very tall/long legged. It felt slow, awkward to run/jog at 4.5, but anything faster and I couldn't sustain it for the allotted interval. The speed will come with time. Just go at whatever pace you need to - don't worry about it at all right now. When I got through it all at, I went back and re-did weeks 5-9 at a slightly better pace...I think I was around 5.2-5.4 depending on the day.

THEN - Once you finish the program and can comfortably keep going for 3 miles, start to do some interval/speed work. (jog a mile, then 5 intervals of a "hard" run 1-1.5 minutes w/ 1 min jog between, then a mile jog to cool down. Push yourself during the intervals, but not to the point that you can't complete your cooldown. You do want the hard intervals to be faster than your goal pace. For example - I really wanted to be able to run a 10 min mile....so I would do the jog portions at 5.2-5.4, and then the intervals 1mph faster - so a 6.2-6.4. within a few weeks, I found the 5.4 "felt" slow - so I let both numbers creep up - 5.5 and 6.5....or sometimes I'd do the intervals at 6.5, 6.6, 6.7, 6.6, 6.5. A few months of doing this a couple times a week and voila...ran 3 miles at 10:00.

Like I said - don't worry about it right now!!!
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm starting week 6 tomorrow, and I've had to slow down. The first weeks were easily done at 5.3 jogging, but last night I found myself going between 4.6 and 4.8 to do the 8 minute intervals.
  • amberntay20
    amberntay20 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11 and just finish week 1 day 2 this afternoon. I always set the treadmill on random program which has variety of inclines through out the time set. I normally walk between 4.3-4.5 mph and run 5.3-5.6 depending on my energy. I agree with what other people has post when I run on a incline it feels so much better then running on no incline. :D