Eating Net BRM or just BRM

bltrexler
bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
Ok, So I thought Iwas eating properly but now I think I may over thought these numbers. So should I be eating at least my NET BRM? So I use TDEE-20% method
BRM= 1533
TDEE=2377
TDEE-20%=1900

But there are days when I work out twice a day or go skiing for 5 hrs and then I will eat 1900 and my NET BRM will be like 500. So should I be eating more on those days or continue with 1900?

Well I am here I currently have my MFP set to sedentary and generaly log my exercise. But my current calorie intake is based off 3-5hrs of exercise, but there are many weeks that I definately workout 5-10hrs and in which case my TDEE-20% would be 2116. Should split the difference and eat the average?

And one more item, how many weeks of cut and heavy lifting will you go before you take a break?

Thanks for the input.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Ok, So I thought Iwas eating properly but now I think I may over thought these numbers. So should I be eating at least my NET BRM? So I use TDEE-20% method
    BRM= 1533
    TDEE=2377
    TDEE-20%=1900

But there are days when I work out twice a day or go skiing for 5 hrs and then I will eat 1900 and my NET BRM will be like 500. So should I be eating more on those days or continue with 1900?

Well I am here I currently have my MFP set to sedentary and generaly log my exercise. But my current calorie intake is based off 3-5hrs of exercise, but there are many weeks that I definately workout 5-10hrs and in which case my TDEE-20% would be 2116. Should split the difference and eat the average?

And one more item, how many weeks of cut and heavy lifting will you go before you take a break?

Thanks for the input.

If you are doing more exercise for whatever reason than you included in your TDEE, then you should eat it back. You can remove the deficit from it too of course, because if it had been included in the first place that would have happened.

So that means longer activity or extra activity.

You planned on 4 hrs of cardio in your TDEE and eat right at middle of Mod Active at 1900.
    You make a 1hr bike ride on Sat go 2 hrs. You eat back that extra hr of calories.
    You add on an extra 1 hr run that week. You eat back that extra hr of calories.

Conversely, you miss a planned hr workout, you skip 100-200 calories that day, as long as that doesn't send you under your BMR.

So I think there is some confusion.
    "I currently have my MFP set to sedentary and generaly log my exercise. But my current calorie intake is based off 3-5hrs of exercise, but there are many weeks that I definately workout 5-10hrs and in which case my TDEE-20% would be 2116. Should split the difference and eat the average?"

If you have manually entered an eating goal - forget the activity level you set MFP to, doesn't matter and not used in any math that effects your manual goal.
    If you manually set a goal, don't let the automatically increase in calories from logging your workouts change what you eat, except for above exceptions.

And if you generally do more than 5 hrs of exercise, than round up the TDEE before taking deficit.

And another point on that exercise, using as example your skiing for 5 hrs and burning 1500 calories, unplanned and extra.

You already accounted for your day, 2377 TDEE calories. Or 99 calories per hr was already expected to be burned.
    99 * 5 = 495 calories for that skiing time.

So how much did you actually burn above and beyond what you already accounted for?
    1500 - 495 = 1005 extra calories beyond what your TDEE was expecting.
    1005 - 20% = 804 calories to eat back.

That's actually what needs to be done with any calories burned beyond what you have accounted for already.

Now what if you had planned an hr of exercise that day already? Then only 4 hrs is extra and used in the math, with 1500 / 5 * 4 = 1200 calories burned for 4 hrs. 1200 - 396 - 20% = 643 to eat back.

You have nice round 100 to use for TDEE calories per hr, makes that easier.

I'd suggest 6 wk break for both, on separate weeks.
    1 week exercise break eating at Lightly Active with deficit and only nice walking during workout time.
    Then the next week all strong and ready to go from rest, take diet break and eat at TDEE. Since working out stronger your body will really be able to make use of that extra food and make some great improvements.
  • bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    Thanks heybales, that makes sense.