Let's get Started

I see no posts up yet, I also see this is a new group. I will start, my name is Kate, I have lost and gained hundreds of pounds in my 50 years of life. I can remember being on a diet at age 7. in August of 2000 I had a gastric bypass. I lost 150 lbs, had several complications from the surgery and fast forward have gained most of the weight back. i was told I would be "cured" of sugar, NOT. blah blah my sad story. Now I want to make life long habit changes. I am starting small. Building a support network here on MFP and in my community. Exercising with friends and the like. The biggest change I have made is I do not weigh myself. I do however take my measurements. I give way too much power to the number on the scale. I have let it dictate my life in so many ways. Not today. at 350 pounds (give or take as I do not weigh) it is hard to move around. Another change I am working on, getting my body moving at least 5 days a week. I am starting to make healthier choices but I am not going to deprive myself. That is not to say I will eat chocolate cake every day either. Moderation. Plan ahead. I have been inputting my food in the morning the night before, that seems to help a lot. I am asking for help and support today. I do not want to lose the weight and just gain it back again. Been there done that. Don;t wanna go back.

Replies

• cpratt76
    cpratt76 Posts: 10 Member
    Hi Kate, Im Chuck very nice to meet you sounds like you back on track for success. Just remeber its a lifestyle not a diet, not a procedure, not just exercise, not just nutrition, but all of the pieces to the puzzle. Most people forget to factor in social support, family life, work life etc.. In the words of Dory from finding nemo, " just keep swimming'. I myself come from a family who's parents were raised in the South and really didnt prepare the healthiest foods when I was growing up. Both of my parents are diabetic, high blood pressure, family history of heart disease, etc. Therefore changing my lifestyle is a must for myself and my kids so I can stop the health risk at my parents. In 2007 I weighed in at 245lbs and was diagnosed with pre diabeties when i had a seizure due to me passing out and face planting the wall. Being in the hospital for 5 days running test trying to find out what was wrong; would I have more seizues etc, was the wake up call that I needed. Long story short once I was able to physically workout again I decieded to put my worries in the lords hands and I ask God to lead me. In 3.5 months I lost 60lbs, I cut out sodas, Mcdonalds which I went to almost every day, added more veggies in my diet, increased my water consumption, removed as much stress from my life as possible, watched my portions and played with variations of macronutrients to find out what percentage of what helped with lose weight. My exercise for the 1st month consisted of just cardio( walking 60 minutes on a tredmill 3.0spd 5.0 incline) no lifting I need to find out how my nutrition was affecting my weight loss. That 1st month I lost 20lbs then I incorporated resistance training and pilates and lost another 20 the 2nd month. The 3rd month the weight continued to fall until I weight 175. Over the coarse of the next few years until now I put some weight back on but never letting myself get over 200. So as now im just trying to maintain a healthy weight, healthy heart, avoid any medical issues and inspire other.