What? No children??

Options

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Love the article, shame about the comments. I've actually had loads of women question my choice to remain child free, normally with the fab "you'll change your mind when you get older." :explode: I do find it hard to understand why people feel the need to make me explain why I don't want kids. Normally my comment " for the same reason I don't want a dog - they are too much work" shuts them up. :laugh:

Dame Mirrian is a legend. :drinker:
  • RhinestoneRocky
    RhinestoneRocky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks Hellbent_Heid for sharing this article! Helen Mirren is fabulous! I wish they'd refer to it as Childfree rather than Child-less. For me 'childless' sounds like something is missing that makes a person less than 'whole'. (if that makes any sense)

The comments are so snarky! Like they can't seem to fathom why someone wouldn't want a little rugrat.

"OH SO FULFILLING TO HAVE A FAMILY!" "I Bet people without kids waste their money/time/energy on their pets!"

Great, yeah, good for you if you want to make people with your genitals and found that fulfilling. If people want to use their time/money/energy on something other than procreation, big friggin' deal? Is it hurting anyone? Nope! Pfft.

Sorry. I just can't stand the parents that think they deserve a gold star for doing something that has been going on since time immemorial.

:wink:
  • Janyaa
    Janyaa Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Great article, thanks for the link! "I Bet people without kids waste their money/time/energy on their pets!" - I saw this comment and my mouth dropped.

Clients at work ask me all the time whether I have kids. What's worse is when they assume I have them, or that I want them, or that I can't have them. Pretty much all the assumptions suck.

Another thing that drives me crazy is when people assume you have to have kids in order to qualify as a family. My husband and I are a family of two...and perfectly happy!
  • Shannonpurple
    Shannonpurple Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have been telling people "just because you bleed doesnt mean you should Breed" LOL nice article
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Both articles were great, thanks for sharing. I hope to see more support like this in the media. It gets lonely out here being the only one without kiddos in my circle, so every bit of support helps.
  • Janyaa
    Janyaa Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Quoted from "NO kids, no kidding,"
    There's another myth she'd like to bust. "People assume if you don't want kids, you must hate kids. Not true. I love kids. But I'm scared to show an interest in children, particularly babies, because then I get the knowing looks, then the comments about being clucky, then the insulted looks when I tell people I don't want babies, then the sanctimonious it's-different-when-they're-your-own spiel, then the comments about when I'll change my mind." Humour helps - her go-to joke is that babies are terrible conversationalists - but years of pressure have got to her. "I'm so sick of it that I now tell people I'm infertile, though then I have to suffer the pitying, poor-you looks."

THIS! I actually have a blast playing with other people's kids. But when they get tired, cranky, whiny, poopy, etc...or I'm played out, I LOVE the fact that I can hand them back. People assume that because I can play with kids I want them, or that I'll change my mind about NOT wanting them. I think as I get older it will sink in for people.
  • kelfran1
    kelfran1 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    "I'm so sick of it that I now tell people I'm infertile, though then I have to suffer the pitying, poor-you looks."

I typically try to skirt the issue and just leave it that we won't have children, but every now and again I get a very persistent person who just has to know why not. Only then do I pull the "I can't bear children" line. This is typically followed by one of two responses:

1. "Oh, I'm sorry" ...to which I respond "Don't be - insurance covered the procedure!"

2. "You can adopt" …to which I respond that I probably couldn't bear those children either. That usually clarifies my intended use of the word bear, but not always.