Sweet Potatoes

Options
prissygal
prissygal Posts: 39 Member
I love sweet potatoes. I can eat them everyday. Please advise me if they are to high in carbs. I don't want to overdo it. Thanks for your responses.

Replies

• clmalone2138
    Options
    I wonder this too. I've recently been told that sweet potatoes are no better for you than regular potatoes, which was upsetting because I was under the impression that they were the way to go.
  • 276NoMore
    276NoMore Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Re: 1 cup sweet potato (cooked or baked) with skin and no salt)

"NutritionData" website states: "This food is low in Sodium, and very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin B6 and Potassium, and a very good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Manganese."

The website then provides nutrient data as follows:

cals: 180
    sodium: 72 mg
    cholesterol: 0
    fibre: 6.6 g
    potassium: 950 mg
    carbs: 41 g

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2667/2
  • DanielleHinkle24
    DanielleHinkle24 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Even though sweet potatoes may be a little higher in carbs that you would like, I think the health benefits are worth it. In addition, a sweet potato is a delicious and healthy way to kill a craving. My favorite way to eat them - steamed - blend with a little water or chicken broth for a chowder/soup - try with a slice of crumbled bacon! Or, baked with cinnamon - tastes like a dessert. Yum