Is 170 a great weight for me?

I'm a 23 year old young woman and I stand 5'8/9" inches tall and I currently weigh 198lbs. I was 195, but I gained three pounds. My goal weight is about 175 to 165lbs. I don't wanna get too skinny. I just wanna be healthy. So is about 170lbs a good weight for me? I don't wanna be in the 200lbs again. My starting weight was 220lbs.

Replies

• RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    First, congratulations on losing over 20 pounds!

On your question, it really depends how muscular you are. Determining your body fat percentage is probably the best way to judge how healty you are. For women, a body fat percentage between 25 and 31% is deemed to be "acceptable." If you are super muscular you could weigh more than 170 and still be healthy, or if you are not very muscular you could be less than 170 and still not be very healty.

If you don't have access to a way to calculate your body fat percentage, BMI is an okay way to see where you stand. For women, a BMI of 18.6 to 24.9 is recommended. To get to a BMI of under 25, that translates to being under 164 if you're 5'8" or 169 5'9".

Long story short, I think 165-170 is a good goal to shoot for, but at the end of the day all really matters is what weight you think looks best on you and what your doctor says.
  • I measured myself at the gym and I'm 5'8". Thank you so much. :happy: