treadmill to road

Options
bootcey
bootcey Posts: 45 Member
I moving on to Week 4 and decided to make the transition from treadmill to road. I found it more difficult to run on the road than on the treadmill. Does anyone feel that way? So I think I'm going to make sure to rotate treadmill and road.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Yes..the road is harder because you have wind resistance, etc... I plan on doing a slow incline increase once this thing with my leg clears up....
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Heard that road is harder. I run at a slight incline on my treadmill so that I can take the road when I am ready.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I've heard the road is harder, too. Like sixpacklady, I'm adding some incline to the treadmill in hopes that that will help me make the transition in the spring. The side benefit, I'm finding, is that it is improving my speed, which is great because I run super slow.
  • bootcey
    bootcey Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I going to try an incline on my next treadmill run. I hope it does impact my speed because I run really slow right now also.

We can do this!
  • PaytraB
    Options
    We can do this!

We sure can, Bootsy1970!
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've actually done the opposite.. Road to Treadmill, because of the weather. And ugghh I'm finding the treadmill pretty challenging,even though it's supposed to be easier. I think there's just less to see on the treadmill (like nothing!). I think any transition is tough.
  • CalvinLosingIt
    CalvinLosingIt Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have read that an incline of 1% simulates the road pretty accurately. Agh can't find the link now but will keep looking,
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    The road has always seemed harder to me physically, but the treadmill is harder mentally. I think it's physically harder because you're doing all the propulsion of your body vs the treadmill which helps move you. Mentally, I just get so bored on the treadmill even with my music or the TV. I also like looking at the scenery and houses when I run outside, since I'm a Realtor. It helps keep me familiar with what's going on in my neighborhood.

That being said, if you want to run outside all year 'round, move here to Florida...I can help you find a house. Just kidding! :glasses:

Keep on truckin' folks!
  • PaytraB
    Options
    The road has always seemed harder to me physically, but the treadmill is harder mentally. I think it's physically harder because you're doing all the propulsion of your body vs the treadmill which helps move you. Mentally, I just get so bored on the treadmill even with my music or the TV. I also like looking at the scenery and houses when I run outside, since I'm a Realtor. It helps keep me familiar with what's going on in my neighborhood.

That being said, if you want to run outside all year 'round, move here to Florida...I can help you find a house. Just kidding! :glasses:

Keep on truckin' folks!

I'm hoping that the "trouble" I'm having on the treadmill is a mental one. I actually think it is because I know I can run 5K now but very often I don't manage it. I haven't been on the road yet; just the treadmill. Boredom plays a big part. But, I'm using the time to increase my speed and use different inclines to increase endurance. I hope that translates into an easier time when I do hit the road.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I am currently starting week 7 and have done it all on the treadmill. I am getting nervous about transferring to the road as well. I have done my 7 weeks at a 2% incline so hoping it helps a bit.