Should I take my Lantus if #'s have been down

I have been taken 20 units of Lantus and 1000mg of metformin at bedtime. I have been on this since Nov 1..My bedtime reading now is 121..Really low for me..(I am inexperienced in insulin) I was 91 this morning..The lowest I have been in years. Yawl reackon I should stick as usual. Be glad when I finally get in to see a CDE and endo..My family practitioner has cautioned me on several occasions..Thoughts? BTW..I have really been low on carbs for the day and excercised..an hr.

Replies

• poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    My endo's advice has been to make adjustments no more than 2 units at a time, and no more than once every 3 days. So reduce to 18 units, see where you are for a few days, and adjust again if needed. No major changes like not taking it at all.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 507 Member
    Those numbers may be low for you but they are not all that low. I would talk to someone first before I adjusted the Lantus. Do not stop altogether without consulting a doctor. If you are going to adjust your dose, I would be on the cautious side and only adjust it 1 unit at a time. Make sure you are consistently eating the low carb diet and exercising as well. If you change your eating and exercise habits it will change how your BGL react. It's one thing to get support from people on this or any other site but I would be very cautious of altering meds without consulting an expert.
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Those numbers may be low for you but they are not all that low. I would talk to someone first before I adjusted the Lantus. Do not stop altogether without consulting a doctor. If you are going to adjust your dose, I would be on the cautious side and only adjust it 1 unit at a time. Make sure you are consistently eating the low carb diet and exercising as well. If you change your eating and exercise habits it will change how your BGL react. It's one thing to get support from people on this or any other site but I would be very cautious of altering meds without consulting an expert.

I absolutely agree!