Favourite Recipes!

Options
Heather4nne
Heather4nne Posts: 566 Member
I love food. The thing I love about MFP is that you get to keep eating while losing weight.

One of my favourite recipes is (amazingly) still on the table, and doesn't make me fast the rest of the day to save up calories! Here she is:

Tomato Tortellini Soup
6 servings (ish)

Medium onion (chopped), 1
Oscar Meyer real bacon bits, 1 tbsp
Garlic powder, 1/4 tsp

No Name chicken or vegetable broth, 1 box, 900 ml
Alymer diced tomatoes (with juice), 1 can, 796 ml

Olivieri beef tortellini, 1 pkg, 350 g (~3.5 cups cooked)

Basil pesto (homemade or store-bought), 1 tbsp
Compliments balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp
Golden yellow sugar, packed, 1 tsp
Salt, 1/4 tsp
Pepper, 1/8 tsp

Per serving
Calories 280
Carbs 46
Fat 7 g
Protein 10 g

What foods are you lovelies having?

Replies

• Spindigo1
    Spindigo1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Chickpea cookies!

Can of chickpeas, rinsed
    1/4 cup of honey
    1/2 cup of peanut butter
    Chocolate chips of you want to make it really fancy

Blend it all in a food processor
    Form in to cookie-drops
    Bake them!

Delicious proteiny breakfast or post workout cookies!
  • Heather4nne
    Options
    Wow, whaaaat? Chickpeas in cookies; that's something I never would have thought of. Can you taste them? Do they even have a taste? I've never cared for the texture of chickpeas (please don't lynch me), but may have to try these...
  • Spindigo1
    Options
    In my opinion the honey/peanut butter/chocolate chips really mask most of the chickpeas-ness. The texture is pretty close to cookie dough. My food processor is crap and there are often still whole chickpeas hidden away inside the cookies, but I don't mind it. My gf isn't a health food person but even she likes them! Some times I put my leftover dough in the freezer and pretend that it's ice cream.

This is where I originally got the recipe:
    http://www.texanerin.com/2012/04/grain-free-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip.html
  • Heather4nne
    Options
    Awesome; thanks! Haha, frozen cookie dough is the best. Not gonna lie, I've been known go buy the Pillsbury cookie tubes and just eat them straight up. It's been a while, though (thank Jesus, otherwise I'd probably not be able to lift myself off the couch).
  • vixxxen88
    vixxxen88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Butternut Squash soup

Low calorie cooking spray
    1 onion, peeled and diced
    1 medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into wedges.
    1 small potato, peeled and quartered
    2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    900ml vegetable stock
    A few thyme sprigs to serve

1.Spray a large pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a low heat, add the onion and cook for 1-2 minutes.
    2.Add the butternut squash and potato and cook for 2 minutes over a medium heat. Add the garlic and season to taste. Pour in the stock and simmer for 25 minutes.
    3.Using a hand-blender or food processr, blend until smooth and serve sprinkled with thyme sprigs.

Or 5 spice gammon

Ingredients
    2 tsp Chinese 5-Spice powder
    4 x 175g gammon steak cut into bite-sized pieces (remove all the fat first)
    Frylite or other syn-free cooking spray
    2 red chillies, deseeded and finely sliced
    Finely grated zest and juice of an orange
    1 level tbsp of runny honey
    100 ml of chicken stock
    2 tbsp dark soy sauce
    Pak choi to serve
    Egg noodles to serve

1 – Cook the noodles according to packet instructions

2 – Sprinkle the 5-spice powder over the gammon pieces.

3 – Put a few sprays of frylite into a wok or large frying pan.

4 – Cook the gammon over a high heat for around 2-3 minutes until the edges are slighty browned.

5 – Add the soy sauce, honey, red chillies, orange zest and juice and stock and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until the sauce becomes sticky and the gammon is glazed and golden (with slightly burned edges if you like that sort of thing).

6 – Serve straight away with pak choi and cooked egg noodles, and any pan juices poured over.

Yummy!
  • Heather4nne
    Options
    Holy, those sound delicious. And some people say eating healthy has to mean missing out. How long do those recipes usually take to make?
  • vixxxen88
    vixxxen88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    the soup literally takes 20 mins ! and the 5 spice gammon and noodles takes about 25 mins max ! all good !
  • Heather4nne
    Options
    That's fantastic; love getting to try new recipes!
  • Spindigo1
    Options
    Tonight I am making flax crackers: another stupidly easy task.

All you do is put some flax seeds in a bowl, cover them with water, and let them soak until they get goopy. Next you can season them with whatever you want and then thinly spread the mixture on a baking tray (you might want to put down a sheet of oiled tin foil first) and then bake it at low heat for a couple hours or until they're dried out! A lot of people use a dehydrator, but I've found the oven works just fine. Tonight I put the mixture in the food processor first and I'm interested to see how that does or does not change them.

In a couple hours I will have gluten/dairy free super high fiber crackers!
  • Heather4nne
    Options
    Yum! What seasonings do you use?