Post Workout Shake

Options
kittyhorn
kittyhorn Posts: 112 Member
I'm starting the program today or tomorrow and in regards to the post workout shake: I'm not to keen on buying protein powder. Does anyone have any recipes or ideas for shakes that don't include the powder?

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'd do anything with 4-6 oz of chicken (I'm not a seafood fan, maybe Tuna too but I don't know the average serving size) with some whole wheat carb, cottage cheese, milk, something with whey protein because it's the fastest digestion protein to help your muscles recover and grow.

But give a few types of protein powder a try, different brands taste differently. I'm loving Optimum Nutrition's vanilla & chocolate. GNC (beware, very very over priced) and Vitacost may have some individual sample packets for sale. Personally I have found that protein shakes taste better when mixed with ice cold water or fat free milk with some mix ins like 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, a cup of frozen fruit, instant coffee (or 1/2c coffee with 1/2c milk). My go to is chocolate or vanilla protein powder with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and 1/2 frozen banana.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I love vanilla protein powder, so I'm of no help there, but I drink a protein shake every morning made with 1 cup of almond milk, 1 scoop of powder, several strawberries, and lots of spinach. Nutricious and delicious!!!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You don't have to have a shake. Eat some protein -- chicken, fish, meat, etc.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the program today or tomorrow and in regards to the post workout shake: I'm not to keen on buying protein powder. Does anyone have any recipes or ideas for shakes that don't include the powder?

Can I ask you why you don't like protein powder?
  • kittyhorn
    kittyhorn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It's not that I don't like it. It's a budget constraint issue. I'm a full time student with a toddler and I'd much rather be spending my grocery budget on foods we can both enjoy.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    It's not that I don't like it. It's a budget constraint issue. I'm a full time student with a toddler and I'd much rather be spending my grocery budget on foods we can both enjoy.
    I make my post workout shake a meal with peanut butter, cottage cheese (I want the slow digesting protein because I workout at night just before bed) and half a frozen banana. If my kiddos let me workout during the day (meaning they nap at the same time) I work out just before snack time so it's still a meal.

I picked up a 2 lbs tub of BodyTech Whey Pro 24 for roughly $27, it's 32 servings per tub so that was $0.86 a serving. Plus I use it in baking (pancakes, muffins, etc.) so my family uses it also if you think about it that way.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    The kind I get is at Walmart for $16.00 and it lasts a whole month using 1 scoop per day, less if you use more, obviously.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    You don't have to have a shake. Eat some protein -- chicken, fish, meat, etc.

^this...i never have protein shakes.