A1C Self Test Kit

Options
bdubya55
bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
Hi There:smile:

As a T2 diabetic since 1986 and living in the US, I find the cost associated with managing and controlling my blood sugars (with supplies, medications, doctors visits, lab work, just to name a few...) to say the least, very troubling, problematic and financially exhausting.

To that end, I purchased BayerContours' A1CNow Self Test Kit yesterday, designed for home use. At under $40, this test kit includes everything you'll need to preform your own A1C test quickly (results in 5mins.) and easily with clinical lab results.

After watching the short (7:24) video here along with reading the easy instructions that came with my kit, I was reading my results in no time at all.

To learn more copy and paste the link below onto your address bar.

http://www.bayercontour.com/Blood-Glucose-Monitoring/A1CNow#tab2

Disclaimer: This is not medical advise and I am not associated with Bayer Healthcare LLC. or it's affiliates.

Replies

• wcucats77
    Options
    bdubya55... Hi. Question; Do you think based on previous lab test in your doctor's office the Bayer Contours A1CNow is reliable? I thought it might be a great way to test between visits. I woudl certainly appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

WCUCATS77
  • bdubya55
    Options
    bdubya55... Hi. Question; Do you think based on previous lab test in your doctor's office the Bayer Contours A1CNow is reliable? I thought it might be a great way to test between visits. I woudl certainly appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

WCUCATS77

Hi Good question, WCUCATS77.

Interesting you should ask, :laugh: haha. I went to a free blood screening yesterday morning, during a health fair clinic I attended at my local Y. They were doing A1C tests along with HDL/LDL tests.

I knew ahead of time they were offering these tests, so I intentionally fasted for it. The result was 6.3

Armed with that info, I was curious to know how accurate the Bayer A1C home kit was, my fasting result was 6.0

My last (9/2012) A1C ordered by my doctor resulted in 6.2

Additionally, I'm currently self insured (and thats another story). These test kits come with the ability to preform 2 tests and I plan to bring that 2nd result from the kit with me, to my next appt in march, saving me significant expense.

I should also note, as they probably do on their website, you cannot store your results.

So yep, I thinks it's a great tool to have.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I saw these in the store the other day and wondered how accurate they were too. My medical ins. changed this year (in January) and it no longer covers anything diabetic realated.. really sad.. Not the strips, lab work, etc. untill I pay out of pocket $1020.00 and that isn't including my $695.00 deductible. (really sad considering where I work.. a Hospital). I have a lab order right now for just a A1C, but am hessitant on getting the test. Not sure what it will end up costing and I support my self. I am not rich. I live pay check to pay check... so yes. this new insurance has me second guessing on my blood strips and tests. I purchased the Relion prime at Walmart and their strips. It is not as accurate as my One touch ultra, but for testing before and after meals, it is consistant on the rise and falls. I am pretty much using my Utra right now, but when my strips run out??? Not sure what I will do, Use the relion mostly and maybe do my FBS with the ultra only. This A1C self test may be the ticket too compared to what the Lab costs will be for me. Thanks for the info
  • bdubya55
    Options
    I saw these in the store the other day and wondered how accurate they were too. My medical ins. changed this year (in January) and it no longer covers anything diabetic realated.. really sad.. Not the strips, lab work, etc. untill I pay out of pocket $1020.00 and that isn't including my $695.00 deductible. (really sad considering where I work.. a Hospital). I have a lab order right now for just a A1C, but am hessitant on getting the test. Not sure what it will end up costing and I support my self. I am not rich. I live pay check to pay check... so yes. this new insurance has me second guessing on my blood strips and tests. I purchased the Relion prime at Walmart and their strips. It is not as accurate as my One touch ultra, but for testing before and after meals, it is consistant on the rise and falls. I am pretty much using my Utra right now, but when my strips run out??? Not sure what I will do, Use the relion mostly and maybe do my FBS with the ultra only. This A1C self test may be the ticket too compared to what the Lab costs will be for me. Thanks for the info

Hi Rainey,

It saddens me to learn what you're going through, especially as someone working professionally in the healthcare industry.
    As you said it (truly) is sad, and oftentimes leaves us extremely upset and puzzled.

Labcorp (here) https://www.labcorp.com/wps/portal/ and
    Quest Diagnostics (here) http://www.questdiagnostics.com/home.html

My PCP's office, recommended the above outside independant labs in helping me to control costs related to lab work.
    Not sure if these two labs offer screenings in your area, I'm told one can learn the costs by contacting them ahead of time.

I'm using the relion prime, strips too and find it (also( acceptable when comparing my test results to the ultra.

I have an upcoming diabetic check up scheduled with my PCP for 3/1 and plan to bring my (morning fasting) self test result
    with me from the A!CNow meter, confident in knowing I've compared results and find it accurate to a recent free blood screen.
    I'm told, A1C's can and do vary between lab results.

Currently self insured, and knowing my current blood glucose averages, I'm holding off on having any outside labwork done
    until recommended by my PCP or it becomes medically necessary. Until then it's the A1CNow for me and my Prime!

Good luck!
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options

We do quest and lab core where I work. But wether I can get on either???? I know one Doctor in town that does use Quest for his patients. but I prefer not going to him. (not my kind of doctor.. bed side manner so to speak). I will have to check into it further to see if I can use either one of those.

Hi Rainey,

It saddens me to learn what you're going through, especially as someone working professionally in the healthcare industry.
    As you said it (truly) is sad, and oftentimes leaves us extremely upset and puzzled.

Labcorp (here) https://www.labcorp.com/wps/portal/ and
    Quest Diagnostics (here) http://www.questdiagnostics.com/home.html

My PCP's office, recommended the above outside independant labs in helping me to control costs related to lab work.
    Not sure if these two labs offer screenings in your area, I'm told one can learn the costs by contacting them ahead of time.

I'm using the relion prime, strips too and find it (also( acceptable when comparing my test results to the ultra.

I have an upcoming diabetic check up scheduled with my PCP for 3/1 and plan to bring my (morning fasting) self test result
    with me from the A!CNow meter, confident in knowing I've compared results and find it accurate to a recent free blood screen.
    I'm told, A1C's can and do vary between lab results.

Currently self insured, and knowing my current blood glucose averages, I'm holding off on having any outside labwork done
    until recommended by my PCP or it becomes medically necessary. Until then it's the A1CNow for me and my Prime!

Good luck!