Does this count as heavy lifting?

Options
danipals
danipals Posts: 143 Member
I have just upped my calories and will be eating between 1600-1800/day. (From Dan IPOARM)
I turn 40 next week, 5'6' and 166 lbs with 36% body fat. BMR=1448 TDEE=2041 TDEE-20%1634
I teach preschool 3 mornings a week, and will do this strength MWF and will soon start running. I will re evaluate when I do that and up calories if needed.

I have started this strength training workout from muscleandstrength.com as I am working out at home without machines. I am pushing myself on the weights and day 1 did all with 15lbs. Day 2 I jumped up to 20lbs for each exercise and that was tough. Does this count as heavy lifting? It sounds like lots of people are doing NROLFW and I may get to that but for right now working at home works better for me. I will also start training for a 10k in two weeks.

Monday
Full Body
Exercise Sets Reps
Dumbbell Squat 3 6-12
Dumbbell Bench Press 3 6-12
One Arm Dumbbell Row 3 6-12
Standing Dumbbell Curl 3 6-12
Two Arm Seated Dumbbell Extension 3 6-12
Sit Up 3 10-25

Wednesday
Full Body
Exercise Sets Reps
Dumbbell Step Up 3 6-12
Dumbbell Stiff Leg Deadlift 3 6-12
Seated Dumbbell Press 3 6-12
Standing One Leg Dumbbell Calf Raise 3 10-20
Dumbbell Shrug 3 10-15
Dumbbell Side Bends 3 10-15

Friday
Full Body
Exercise Sets Reps
Dumbbell Lunge 3 6-12
Dumbbell Floor Press 3 6-12
Wide Grip Pull Up 3 6-12
Standing Hammer Curl 3 6-12
Lying Dumbbell Extension 3 6-12
Lying Floor Leg Raise 3 10-25

Replies

• Gapwedge01
    Options
    Happy birthday!

A quick answer is no.

Heavy lifting is mostly done at a fitness center with free weights and machines doing compound lifting where you take your muscles to failure ( not able to finish the last rep or two of the last set). Your lifting would be considered light. I am not familiar with the new rules of lifting for women, sorry.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Some of those probably are, because as Gap said you probably are going to failure.

But I'm sure there is no way that is enough weight for many of them, especially for the big muscles. And it's the big muscles that really need that overload.

3 sets with 6-12 can indeed be right on, and dumbbells can be taken to failure.
    After your first few weeks of confirming form, get the weight on the bigger muscles up there so you reach failure as Gap said.

Leave that 1 min rest between sets, maybe longer if bigger muscle.

That will then be weight lifting.

Any resistance training will help retain muscle though in a deficit, but you are taking a more reasonable deficit anyway, so less concern to begin with - good job.

As you add cardio, just realize cardio too hard or long day after proper lifting will kill on slow down the repair process.
    Done day before and it may tire you out too much, meaning you don't lift really well.

I'd really simply that routine though. Once you've done a month and got tendons and joints and muscles ready, time for easier but harder lifts, repeating the same thing all 3 days.
  • danipals
    Options
    Thanks so much for the input! I am already finding myself able to figure out which exercises I can still go heavier on such as the squats, row etc. I think I may actually ask for a barbell for my birthday (crazy!) so that I have the option to keep going heavier. (Sometimes the problem is gripping the heavy dumbbells after a while.)

So Heybales, can you give an example of a routine that would qualify for this...that you mentioned earlier...

"I'd really simply that routine though. Once you've done a month and got tendons and joints and muscles ready, time for easier but harder lifts, repeating the same thing all 3 days."

Thanks so much for the input!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the input! I am already finding myself able to figure out which exercises I can still go heavier on such as the squats, row etc. I think I may actually ask for a barbell for my birthday (crazy!) so that I have the option to keep going heavier. (Sometimes the problem is gripping the heavy dumbbells after a while.)

So Heybales, can you give an example of a routine that would qualify for this...that you mentioned earlier...

"I'd really simply that routine though. Once you've done a month and got tendons and joints and muscles ready, time for easier but harder lifts, repeating the same thing all 3 days."

Thanks so much for the input!

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Instructions.html

Read the instructions at the bottom, then select the Full Body Workout link. (what you to see the options available if you get bored).
    In that section select Legs, Pull, Push routines.
    In that section for Legs, Pull, Push, go through each link and find a major dumbbell lift for that body part.
    Skip biceps and triceps, because with dumbbells those will be worked automatically doing all the others.

Watch the form to confirm.

You can do that all 3 days. As instructions mention, if you get bored or want variety, you got 4 different Legs, pull, push routines to do with slightly different order.
    May want to emphasis upper body on one workout a week for instance.
  • danipals
    Options
    Thanks! The support in this group is amazing! I am very appreciative of your time!
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting Supercharged is a great book. Very similar to what Heybales is explaining.