Nails breaking off and tearing!!

Options
dwn2erth
dwn2erth Posts: 144 Member
Hey everyone! I've noticed for about the last month that my finger nails are so thin; I can't use them for anything.. They've torn back to the fleshy part?? I'm on Armour and I am upping my fiber in my diet. I'm trying not to take the Armour and fiber close together but I'm wondering if it's an issue here. I'm not really sleeping well; I thnk my face is a little puffy. Weight staying the same ; but I'm excercising and eating a decent amount (around 1800 / day)

I split up the Armour and try to take it sublingually; in the evening my legs are so heavy, sometimes it's hard to walk.

I'm going to make an appointment with a Doc.. (no good endocrinologists in this area; the best I've found is a woman who does Women's Bio Identical hormones; she at least thinks about all the possiblities. I'm on other hormones too.)

Sound like Hypo Thyroid? Sometimes I think I'm bouncing between both Hyper and Hypo.

Replies

• islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I've noticed for about the last month that my finger nails are so thin; I can't use them for anything.. They've torn back to the fleshy part?? I'm on Armour and I am upping my fiber in my diet. I'm trying not to take the Armour and fiber close together but I'm wondering if it's an issue here. I'm not really sleeping well; I thnk my face is a little puffy. Weight staying the same ; but I'm excercising and eating a decent amount (around 1800 / day)

I split up the Armour and try to take it sublingually; in the evening my legs are so heavy, sometimes it's hard to walk.

I'm going to make an appointment with a Doc.. (no good endocrinologists in this area; the best I've found is a woman who does Women's Bio Identical hormones; she at least thinks about all the possiblities. I'm on other hormones too.)

Sound like Hypo Thyroid? Sometimes I think I'm bouncing between both Hyper and Hypo.

That all sounds like hypo symptoms to me, even the not sleeping well.

I would make sure to take the fibre at LEAST 4 hours away from the thyroid meds - fibre binds to the meds and basically flushes them out of your system before they can be fully absorbed. Have you been feeling that way since adding the fibre? If so I'd skip the fibre for a day or two and see if that makes a different (on Armour you should be able to tell pretty quickly).

Could be other things too, so I'd get your free T3 and free T4 tested just to see. Remember to get your labs in the morning, and don't take your Armour until after the labs. (Because it contains T3 it can give an artifically high free T3 result if you take it before your labs)
  • dwn2erth
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions I'll try a day without fibre and see what happens!!! I'll let you know...
  • wisconsinboogie
    wisconsinboogie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Been hypo for 12 yrs, but never in my life have I been able to grow nails till I learned about Biotin, its a b complex, started taking it in dec, and my nails are hard and healthy and long!! Also my hair is growing faster, something that doesnt happen with hypothyroid, I take 1000mcg fast dissolvable so it is sure to get in your system.
  • dwn2erth
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion Wisconsin... I do have a low B12 level.. that might 'just' be the ticket!!!
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion Wisconsin... I do have a low B12 level.. that might 'just' be the ticket!!!

I believe you need B6 to make the B12 work, so the B complex sounds good.