I need motivation to continue!!

Options
berthabunny
berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
I upped my calories three weeks ago (and am continuing to up them to get to TDEE of about 2500), and I gained two full pounds this past weekend, while having gained three pounds in the first week. Five pounds up and am almost back at my starting weight from a few months ago :(
It is really hurting me mentally, I know I cannot have gained that much real weight in two days, but it doesn't help to see it on the scale. I changed to only logging my weight on Saturdays, but I still check it daily.
I was eating 1300-1400 for three/four months, and am up to 2300, which I have held for four days now. Should I continue upping and then stick around 2500 for a while and reset? Frankly, after gaining this much, I am worried sick that I am just going to gain everything back and not be able to lose it.

Replies

• Gapwedge01
    Options
    I upped my calories three weeks ago (and am continuing to up them to get to TDEE of about 2500), and I gained two full pounds this past weekend, while having gained three pounds in the first week. Five pounds up and am almost back at my starting weight from a few months ago :(
    It is really hurting me mentally, I know I cannot have gained that much real weight in two days, but it doesn't help to see it on the scale. I changed to only logging my weight on Saturdays, but I still check it daily.
    I was eating 1300-1400 for three/four months, and am up to 2300, which I have held for four days now. Should I continue upping and then stick around 2500 for a while and reset? Frankly, after gaining this much, I am worried sick that I am just going to gain everything back and not be able to lose it.

First, the scale is going to be unkind to you on your reset phase, so stop weighing. You are saying you have added 17,500 calories (5 pounds) over 3 weeks (that is 833 calories above your TDEE maintenance level daily)? Doubtful.

Are you still gaining at 2300 or have you leveled off? If you are not measuring your food accurately or careless in your logging you could easily be at 2500 already. A digital food scale and logging everything that goes in your mouth can be the answer to your question.
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm going to tell you something and it may be scary: With the deficit you had between your starting calories and TDEE (over 1000) it is very likely this process will cause weight gain. Or at least it did for me. I jumped about 1000 calories very quickly too, though not quite as quickly as you. It was not a good experience for me. My body did not know how to deal with all the extra calories, flooding the engine as it were. I quit my first reset at 7 weeks after gaining 15-20 lbs. I did the whole thing too fast. I was too impatient.

Now let me say that some of that weight went away when I dropped back my calories a bit. When I fit back into my original sized pants I started again, *slowly*. Increase the calories by a hundred and sit there for two weeks then repeat. Pause somewhere if you don't feel ready to increase. Wait until your weight becomes stable then increase again. Don't give the body too much too soon, it will just store everything above what it can currently use.

I think some people can get away with the jump calories up fast and hold method and some can't, especially as the amount increases. 1000 + calories a day is a lot! I'm now at TDEE using the slow method yet I haven't gained more than that starting 15-20 lbs AND my original pants are now a little looser although I'm eating 1000 calories more. It is worth the time and effort to go slow to me.

I don't know if this helps but it is something to keep in mind. I wouldn't want to repeat that first reset experince myself :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Another assurance, that fast weight loss the first week of starting the diet, which you know was water weight.

You were going to gain that back sometime anyway. You just did now.

When you finish reset and deficit, you'll lose some again, though likely not as much.
    That means when you go to maintenance mode, you won't gain as much back.
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the support! I am down 2.4 lb from yesterday, so it must have been water weight, especially since I stuck to 2300.
    Looking back over the weekend, that rapid gain was probably partly due to sodium levels. At home we don't use salt much, and I think eating out (I was away from home) caused me to eat more sodium. Something for me to store for the future.
    Sagj, you are right, that IS scary to hear! I will keep it in mind though. I don't think I am gaining at anywhere's near the rate right now, and hopefully won't. I'm impressed that you went back and stuck with it. I am definitely impatient, although I am trying to remind myself that I have at least four months to stick this out, and hopefully I'll be losing weight in the latter months. I would really like to be down around 135, I know I am not supposed to think in dates, but it helps me stick with it knowing that I have the time.
    Heybales, thanks for reminding me about that water weight.
    Gap, it is really good to see the numbers and know it is impossible from what/how much I was eating! I do not have a food scale, but I try to add extra rather than cut short calories to assure I am not overeating, I think it probably evens out. I often measure volume to keep portion sizes in my mind.
    I am going to stick 2300 out for another week or so, unless I become extremely hungry, in which case I'll go with my metabolism :)
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Thank you for the support! I am down 2.4 lb from yesterday, so it must have been water weight, especially since I stuck to 2300.
    Looking back over the weekend, that rapid gain was probably partly due to sodium levels. At home we don't use salt much, and I think eating out (I was away from home) caused me to eat more sodium. Something for me to store for the future.
    Sagj, you are right, that IS scary to hear! I will keep it in mind though. I don't think I am gaining at anywhere's near the rate right now, and hopefully won't. I'm impressed that you went back and stuck with it. I am definitely impatient, although I am trying to remind myself that I have at least four months to stick this out, and hopefully I'll be losing weight in the latter months. I would really like to be down around 135, I know I am not supposed to think in dates, but it helps me stick with it knowing that I have the time.
    Heybales, thanks for reminding me about that water weight.
    Gap, it is really good to see the numbers and know it is impossible from what/how much I was eating! I do not have a food scale, but I try to add extra rather than cut short calories to assure I am not overeating, I think it probably evens out. I often measure volume to keep portion sizes in my mind.
    I am going to stick 2300 out for another week or so, unless I become extremely hungry, in which case I'll go with my metabolism :)

Sounds like a plan. Good luck.