Fiber

Options
Can I take a fiber supplement to decrease my net carbs? And If I do will it work and keep me in ketosis?

Replies

• ilookold
    ilookold Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I dont know if it will decrease net carbs but i know it will help keep you regular.
  • kimmay172
    Options
    I sort of have the same question. Can I eat a fist full of fiber pills to cancel out a snickers bar? :) I assume not.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I sort of have the same question. Can I eat a fist full of fiber pills to cancel out a snickers bar? :) I assume not.

Just like a diet coke negates a bag of potato chips. :laugh:

5 grams of fiber should count as 5 grams of carb AND 5 grams of fiber (fiber being a subset of carbs, in the US at least )

This script will add the net carb calculation to your diary
    Net Carbs and % Pie chart Scrip
    http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/124645

It will also alert you to Bad data in the database were people have entered an item with more fiber grams than carb grams.

In addition to the regularity issues that fiber helps with it will also help fill your belly so you may be inclined to consume a little bit less.
  • GloMash710
    GloMash710 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it will decrease net carbs, I'd love to know if anyone actually knows the answer to this, but Konsyl fiber supplement has super low carbs. Metamucil is high in carbs, as are other fiber supplements.

Another option for fiber that worked for me is chia seeds.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Fiber subtracts it's own carbs. If you eat 3g of fiber, then you add 3g carbs and then subtract 3g because of it.

If you want to "negate" carbs, then wait an hour and then go lift heavy things and run around.
  • hermie007
    hermie007 Posts: 12
    Options
    Is there any other fibre pills other than psyllium husks?
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Fiber only reduces your carb count when it is in the same food as the carbs are. Fiber isn't a magic pill that eliminates carbohydrates in your body. Rather, fiber is a subset (as someone else said) of carbohydrates. Fiber is a carb that is difficult to digest. So, it lowers the actual carb count of the very specific food you are eating.

Fiber does not wipe out other carbs you ate, like a snickers bar. Sorry.