The Question of Cost

Options
I just finished a 36 day paleo-ish cleanse/elimination diet. I kept all of my grocery receipts and for 5 weeks I came up with a total of $517.76.

I purchased ONLY organic meats and bought mostly organic fruits and veggies, but not always (only because of budgetary constraints). My shopping was at Sprouts and Whole Foods. Before making up my weekly menu (which absolutely helps and I plan on keeping this system going) I would view the sales flyers online to decide what I want to make for the week and where to buy my protein as I find that's the most costly. This fed only me but i am usually spending on average $100 each week on groceries/going out to eat/coffee anyways. I was conscience not to let things go to waste and froze many of the extras, which is so nice to have things in the freezer for those days you just can't make things happen.

I know that many comment on how a paleo lifestyle comes at too high of a pricetag so I just wanted to share my experience. Yes this lifestyle may cost a bit more money, take a bit more time, but the benefits are A M A Z I N G!!!! My mom, sister and her girlfriend did the challenge with me as well. No one complained about the food and everyone who's seen one of our meals raved and were very very jealous, my sister almost had a meal taken from her this weekend. My mom has been struggling with figuring out what has been making her sick for years, and it's definitely food allergies and caffeine. She used to wake up stiff with severe joint pain EVERY MORNING and it's GONE. My dad wasn't following the diet but at least eating some of what my mom cooked and he has lost weight as well. We all lost between 10-15 lbs... me, i lost 11.6 :) ... I did post before/after pics to my profile but can't figure out how to insert pics into these boxes lol.

Replies

• nayeliscastellanos
    Options
    I totally agree with you. My gf and I both started Paleo around 3-4 weeks ago. We noticed that we do have to go grocery shopping more often.We would go about once every 2 weeks and now it is once a week. I have not noticed a big difference in the money only because on the weekends we would go out to eat and spend about 60 dollars so that extra 120 we are saving every two weeks is going to this lifestyle. I have not been buying grass fed meat etc but we do plan on going to the local farmers market this week and shopping there. I am sure it will cost more but I am willing to pay extra because it is worth it. We both have had so much energy lately. She lost 10+ lbs already and I have lost about 5lbs. Its amazing how changing the way you eat can change your body so much. I am glad you and your family decided to do this together.