What were your changes since becoming Paleo/Primal.

Options
2»

Replies

• epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've been about 80% primal since October, but have been gravitating toward more strict paleo in the past month or so. For me, it just seems like a natural progression, because I no longer want the things I thought I wouldn't be able to let go of (ketchup, cheese, tortilla chips, soy sauce, etc.). I actually made my own salad dressing for the first time yesterday and it was delicious! Next up is paleo mayo!

I haven't lost any weight to speak of....probably because I haven't consistently dedicated myself to keeping my carbs low. But I've noticed an enormous change in how I feel in the morning. I'm not groggy or cranky like I used to be. My husband used to joke that I'm a gremlin in the mornings, but not anymore. I'm chipper and productive and excited to get my day going. And no hunger pains first thing in the morning either. I actually feel the best before I eat breakfast, so I try to push it back as long as possible. I can usually make it to 10 with no problem at all (I wake up at 6). That was unheard of when I relied on oatmeal or an english muffin for my morning meal.
  • strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I transitioned over the course of a month or so into primal eating. This was around May/June 2010. Since then, I've lost ~135lbs, I never get appreciably sick (colds never progress past that initial tingling in the throat and only last three or four days... I'm not actually even certain that I'm sick at all when it happens) and I am more ambitious with regards to physical activity (I don't mind, and even on some level enjoy, shoveling snow, for instance... crazy).

And the best result out of them all: I eat an absurd amount of bacon.

Those are the ones I can think of, off the top of my head.
  • hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    In addition to what most people above have said I don't feel like I am on a diet or depriving myself of anything.

People bring in donuts to work and I don't have any and it's not a problem. They smell good and can be tempting but then I think about the good, tasty food I would rather be eating and it's no problem to pass on them. Plus I'm not usually hungry because of the good breakfast I ate before coming into work.

My wife said she was impressed I have been able to 'stick with eating this way' for over a month now. I told her it's not a challenge at all and I almost feel like I'm cheating because I love the food I'm eating now and never feel deprived or the need to eat every couple hours.

Very liberating to be in control of my eating and not a slave to the blood sugar roller coaster.
  • RenfieldX
    RenfieldX Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Primal for about 6 months. The biggest changes that I've noticed:

1. Increased energy - I used to be wiped out in the evening when I got home from work, and now I this is no longer an issue. (although I'm sure that the weight loss and increased physical activity is a big factor with this as well).
    2. Clearer skin - my skin used to be very dry, and that's definitely changed. Also, a skin condition that I'd developed due to a wheat/gluten sensitivity has cleared up.
    3. Clear sinuses - if you'd asked me whether I had sinus issues before I started eating Primal, I'd have said no, but after switching over to Primal my sinuses drained for about a week. Pressure that I'd never really noticed because it was 'normal' was suddenly gone.
    4. Fantastic annual physical - I just had my annual physical in January, and my cholesteral, BP, etc. were all excellent.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I've been paleo for almost 4 months, lost a few pounds and body fat, no more bloating, I was always bloated before, skin much clearer from acne, and my hair is so much nicer lol..I like the fact that I crave good food now for the most part, and when I see sweets at work going around they do not tempt me or interest me at all..!!
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I've been paleo for almost 4 months, lost a few pounds and body fat, no more bloating, I was always bloated before, skin much clearer from acne, and my hair is so much nicer lol..I like the fact that I crave good food now for the most part, and when I see sweets at work going around they do not tempt me or interest me at all..!!

I noticed my skin has been nicer too. And I'm not sure if it's just me but I noticed that really sweet foods can actually be kind of off putting now.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I've been 100% paleo for about a month and 80/20 paleo since November.

Benefits:

- increased energy
    - decreased brain fog
    - decreased bloating
    - no migraines (used to get them a few times a month)
    - keratosis pilaris is about 80% gone
    - depression/anxiety WAY better managed
    - no more blood sugar spikes
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I could rave about this all day long

*Decreased anxiety, I had daily terrible high anxiety. You don't know what a relief this is to even have it go down
    *Cleared skin, no more acne
    * No more lower belly puffing out throughout the day
    *Decreased body fat, look more toned
    *More upbeat mood, naturally friendly
    *Ability to be "in the room" and concentrate
    *Damaged straw-like hair is repaired to its natural state and higher pigment

Can't wait to see what else is in store...I have only been eating primal for 2 weeks

Edited to add, I'm hypoglycemic and I no longer have that terrible, anxious panic feeling when I haven't eaten in a few hours. I am much more satiated now
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I found this thread! I've been a part of the group for a while b/c I was curious, but today is Day #1 of a 5-week Paleo Challenge at my CrossFit gym, and I'm in. I'm excited to hear about everyone's experiences -- they echo what our coaches are telling us, but it's always good to hear the real story from regular folks, too. I've also been out of CrossFit for a few weeks b/c of an injury, and I'm going through withdrawl, so this is a way I can participate a little bit. We have such a great community, and I really miss the comradery.

I'm not really looking to lose too much weight (although a few stubborn lbs. is always nice), but I'm excited to see more energy, maybe less congestion (I've been getting allergy shots AGAIN, for the first time since I was a kid), and less bloat. Decreased anxiety and increased concentration would be nice, too. :flowerforyou:

Thanks again for posting your experiences!!
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i've been 90% primal for about 6 weeks and was starting to make the changes for 6 weeks before that. not much in the way of weight loss unfortunately, but the biggest change i've noticed is with pms. i'm no longer ready to kill anyone who looks in my direction the wrong way!
    i'm also more inclined to brave the cold evenings with the dog and i enjoy starting to feel tired as it gets dark, my circadian rhythms are normalising :)
  • rmkramer003
    rmkramer003 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have been eating Paleo 80% for a month. I think I have been allergic to milk and didn't know it. Also what I thought was a salicylate intollerance turned out to be only nightshades. I have had digestive issues since I was 11. Since starting Paleo I have not had any stomach aches from food unless I "cheat". Also my face has cleared up for the first time since I was 7 years old. Family members have also told me that my hair is healthier. I have so much energy now, sometimes I feel giddy and just start bouncing in place. My kids think I have gone nuts. I haven't been able to convince them to change their eating habits, but they don't eat junk food (chips, candy, etc.). They just don't want to give up cheese and rice.