hernia

ragslittle
ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
Anybody ever had hernia repair?I think I have a hernia - see the MD on wed to confirm. How long will I be out of comission? I don't want to take a step backwards - I HAVE WORKED TO HARD!!! #veryfrustrated!!!! :explode: :sad:

Replies

• JfMarrs
    JfMarrs Posts: 110 Member
    I had a umbilical hernia repaired last fall and was out of work for 2 weeks but I have a job that does require some lifting, I wore an abdominal binder for about a month and that helps. The pain was a lot higher right after after the hernia surgery than my RNY surgery I was surprised since they sent me home the next day. I have heard that other types of hernias are more painful and take longer to recover from. Your doctor should be able to tell you how long you will be out of commission. Good luck!
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    I have no experience with hernias, but I hope everything turns out ok. Let us know what happens wednesday.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    I had an umbilical hernia but they repaired it with my bypass. Hope it all works out for you!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    They found a hital hernia when having my sleeve surgery and repaired it then on 6/11/12. They also found another hernia that they said would need repaired in the future. I asked at my 6 months post op appt with my surgeon if I had to have it repaired right away. I don't have any pain or syptoms of it. She said that if not having any pain or issues to just wait but if I start having pain or issues to call them and I would need to have it repaired.It would be done out paitent surgery and I would need to off a couple weeks and would have lifting restrctions and exercise restrictions too. I told her what if I wanted to have plastics surgery along with the hernia repair and she said that could be done. I might do it that way after I am post op for a year or longer since they won't due plastics till you are a year or 18 months post op usually at my WLS program.