Step up questions.

Options
Iron_Feline
Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
Evening all

I'm having trouble finding something suitable to use for my step ups - at the moment I use my exercise step with books underneath it to get it up to 13" - any ideas where I can buy a suitable step that doesn't cost the earth in the UK? Am I better making one?

Secondly what size step should I have, I'm short, 5'1 with short legs and I think 15" would have my working leg at a right angle when I first stand on the step - is this what I'm aiming for?

Third - do you take your leg off the step in between each rep or do you leave it on the step- weird but I was thinking about it when I did them yesterday?

Thanks all :drinker:

Replies

• mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I leave my foot on the step, and try to have my non-working leg a bit further back than I would naturally stand to make sure I work the leg on the step more.

Can't help you about heights though - my gym has these great steps, and I am just concentrating on carrying more weight (until my hands give up - I have poor grip strength) then decrease the weight and move up in height to the next step.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I leave my foot on my chair (that's what I'm using). I have a chair that's at my knees when I'm standing, that's what I use.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Evening all

I'm having trouble finding something suitable to use for my step ups - at the moment I use my exercise step with books underneath it to get it up to 13" - any ideas where I can buy a suitable step that doesn't cost the earth in the UK? Am I better making one?

Secondly what size step should I have, I'm short, 5'1 with short legs and I think 15" would have my working leg at a right angle when I first stand on the step - is this what I'm aiming for?

Third - do you take your leg off the step in between each rep or do you leave it on the step- weird but I was thinking about it when I did them yesterday?

Thanks all :drinker:

1. can you just buy risers for you exercise step? I did that last time I did step ups and it worked great.
    2. yes, a right angle is what you are aiming for
    3. I always take my leg off, but i just went and looked at the book and it does not tell you to lower your working leg. It also says not to rest your non-working leg on the top of the step. The things you learn!!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :flowerforyou:

Sadly I have a cheap step - so I can't buy risers for it - I'll just have to pick up a few more Argos catalogues :wink:

WOW - I couldn't step up on to a chair if I tried, mind you all my chairs are the folding kind so I suspected that would be a tad lethal.

I'll aim for a right angle - that is doable with my step and books, I think any higher and it would become wobbly.

I think I'll leave my foot on the step - it doesn't seem to make much difference and it means I can concentrate on not using my non-working leg.