I'm New Here

Options
odirish
odirish Posts: 82 Member
I struggle to lose weight. I am going on a cruise in 2 weeks and thought for sure I'd lose something, but I didn't. I have a question about MFP site..when I set up my stats and goal, do I just need to follow the guidelines, such as recommended carbs/proteins/fats? I see all the success stories, and I am amazed that someone can lose 100 lbs, and I can't lose 5 :). Oh..do you mind if I join in your group? My name is Mary Ann and I will be 61 next month. I am from Pa, near Hershey.

Mary Ann
P.S. I have no willpower :)

Replies

• lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Mary Ann. I'm Linda. Please join our group. I'm fairly new to the site. You can use the guide lines built into the site but you can also customize things to fit your needs. The best thing about the site is that by logging everything you eat and do you are more accountable. If you want to friend me please do. I can then see your food diary and you can see mine. Sometimes it helps when you want to put that cookie in your mouth to know that someone else will know too!! Good Luck!! Where are you cruising?
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    I struggle to lose weight. I am going on a cruise in 2 weeks and thought for sure I'd lose something, but I didn't. I have a question about MFP site..when I set up my stats and goal, do I just need to follow the guidelines, such as recommended carbs/proteins/fats? I see all the success stories, and I am amazed that someone can lose 100 lbs, and I can't lose 5 :). Oh..do you mind if I join in your group? My name is Mary Ann and I will be 61 next month. I am from Pa, near Hershey.

Mary Ann
    P.S. I have no willpower :)

Hi Mary Ann and welcome to our group. It is hard to lose weight and what we have to know is we can not compare ourselves to anyone else here. Some lose fast, some slow. Slow is the best way to keep it off. As Linda said, you can customize your goals to fit you. Just stick with it is the clue. Willpower will come in time. You just have to keep training for it!
    Where are you going on your cruise? I just got back from the 4 day to Mexico. Was the 4th time I have taken this one and it was not the best. Hope you have a great time and oh my have to be careful on those cruises, so easy to gain 10 pounds on them. lol
  • odirish
    Options
    Thanks for having me. I am logging everything (good and bad). I have been going to WW for 5 weeks now and have lost only 4.2 lbs. Today I went to the gym with my daughter. I am in such bad shape. I'm the one who used to be in the gym 6 days a week, lifting weights and running the treadmill and taking spin classes. I told my daughter that was 45 lbs ago. Now it's all about my back hurting, my knees creaking etc. I do like to lift. I ran into a personal trainer I used to work out with. She assured me that if I want to get back into it we would do the turtle pace :)
    My cruise is the 24th to the carribean. I was hoping to look a little better in shorts and a bathing suit by now, but that didn't happen. Oh well, I'll plug away and see if I can make any progress till summer.

Mary Ann
  • Alamo0809
    Alamo0809 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    4.2 lbs in 5 weeks for the over 60 crowd seems pretty good to me!

A cruise!! What will you do and see? I will be interested to know more.

Wishing you a week of healthy eating!!!
  • Alamo0809
    Options
    Hi MaryAnn.

OH MY GOSH!! I really hear you. It is hard to lose weight. Maybe it is related to our age.. I turned 61 on my last birthday. I feel I eat healthy food... lots of salad and veggies etc., hike and go to the gym... Then doc called it to my attention about a month ago that I had gained 10 lbs in the past 6 months!! I think I have lost about 1/2 of that or less and really! It is such a struggle. I think drinking the water is really important. My weight loss seemed to slow down about the same time my water consumption slowed down.

I hope you stay positive... I just finished listening Dyer tapes re: intention. He says... when you talk to yourself be sure to keep your message positive... instead of saying "I have no will power", say "Today I will do my best to keep my body healthy".

Good Luck!!
  • odirish
    Options
    I haven't been here for a few days. I was so sick! Today was the very first day that I went outside. My doctor said it was an upper respiratory infection. I laid awake Thursday night just watching the clock until the Drs. office opened. (now that's when your sick) I barely ate anything for 3 days. My throat felt like it was on fire. I knew that we are leaving Sunday for our cruise and I was afraid I'd still be sick for it. I'm finally starting to feel better. I still have the couch and congestion, but everything else is finally gone.

Mary Ann
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I haven't been here for a few days. I was so sick! Today was the very first day that I went outside. My doctor said it was an upper respiratory infection. I laid awake Thursday night just watching the clock until the Drs. office opened. (now that's when your sick) I barely ate anything for 3 days. My throat felt like it was on fire. I knew that we are leaving Sunday for our cruise and I was afraid I'd still be sick for it. I'm finally starting to feel better. I still have the couch and congestion, but everything else is finally gone.

Mary Ann

Glad to hear you are feeling better!
  • Alamo0809
    Options
    Sorry you have been sick. Get better FAST and enjoy your vacation!! Wishing you well!!
  • californiagirl1950
    Options

Mary Ann

So glad you are feeling better. The crud has been going around everywhere. Take care. Where are you going on your cruise? I went 2 weeks ago. 4 day Mexico cruise. I love cruising. Enjoy! Hope you continue on the road to health.
  • phylsyl
    phylsyl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Ouch! I had that recently and it's no fun. Glad the worst of it is over now and you can get back on track. The comments you made on your first post to this topic are so true. It gets harder after 60 to drop the pounds, and the little aches and pains just seem to come out of nowhere! but you have a lot of great support here on MFP, and we'll all encourage one another to go on. I agree that getting those 8 glasses of water in daily helps. And the exercise can be started slowly. Just do what you can and build up gradually. Don't be discouraged--we're all here for you.
  • ppaolini4340
    Options
    Welcome Mary Ann. The over 60 community will always accept new members. By the way, is that Bad Girl on a sportser tank? Do you ride? Once you start logging in everyday, it will become habit and you will look forward to reading all the comments posted by your friends. Wooten3 told me that once you do something consistent for 20 times, it will become a habit. So strive for that 21st consistent day of logging in. I think i am up to about 35 or so. Anyway, Welcome and you can friend me also if you like.

Pam
  • odirish
    Options
    Yes..it is on a sportster tank. I have an '09 883L. I got my license 2 years ago but barely ride. (very nervous).
    I've been feeling better day by day. I still have all this congestion and coughing and not much of an appetite.
    I am leaving on my cruise Sunday morning, I hope I'm better till then. I'd hate to pass it on to anyone else.. I am going to San Juan, haiti, Dominican republic and St. Thomas. I can't wait. It's so cold here in Pa.

Mary Ann
  • rbeckner711
    rbeckner711 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I also am new here. In fact, this is my first post in any forum. I'm Rose, 63 years old and a practicing RN ( work nights part-time-12 hr shifts). I joined this site 2 1/2 weeks ago and have lost 8 lbs. I'm delighted but have to lose at least 60 more to avoid back surgery. I'm easing into yoga (work offers weekly beginners classes for free). I hope to find a home here.
  • californiagirl1950
    Options
    I also am new here. In fact, this is my first post in any forum. I'm Rose, 63 years old and a practicing RN ( work nights part-time-12 hr shifts). I joined this site 2 1/2 weeks ago and have lost 8 lbs. I'm delighted but have to lose at least 60 more to avoid back surgery. I'm easing into yoga (work offers weekly beginners classes for free). I hope to find a home here.

Hi rbeckner, welcome to our wonderful group. We have chat here and also weekly challenges. I hope to post them later this evening. Good luck in your journey and if you would like to, we can be pals here.
  • rbeckner711
    rbeckner711 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    thank you for the welcome. I'm sure this will be a great place for me. I'm off to bed as I have to work tonight. It's nice to meet you!