the new IPA glassware standard

Options
trogalicious
trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
So, for a good long while, I've just been enjoying my IPA out of a tulip/snifter/big-*kitten*-wine-glass... but apparently Dogfish has created the perfect IPA glass.

http://www.theworldsbestever.com/2013/02/11/spiegelau-ipa-glass/

just wanted to share this with you fine folks. I may be in for a set. Somehow, a buddy of mine already picked up a pair.. sent me an instagram of his happy *kitten* having a racer X in his new set of glasses.. and had some really high recommendations.

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I do prefer the closed-off wine glass shape for IPAs (similar to the top of the glass in the article)... but a tulip does an okay job too.

I'm interested to read the article and really try one out... but I don't have the brain capacity for a whole article right now. LOL
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Oh for sure. Apparently, this is really supposed to capture/enhance the aroma of the beer. Plus the bottom of the glass is treated to encourage the carbonation.

It could be a winner. If I get to try any, I'll certainly report back. Same beer across a few glasses.
  • yummy_
    yummy_ Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i love you beer drinkers, and i love beer served in proper glassware.

but you know that glass looks like a butt plug.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    i love you beer drinkers, and i love beer served in proper glassware.

but you know that glass looks like a butt plug.

I THOUGHT IT LOOKED FAMILIAR!!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i like.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of Sam Adams' push for the perfect pint glass. No way am I paying $20 for a beer glass. I'd rather spend that money on beer :laugh:
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Reminds me of Sam Adams' push for the perfect pint glass. No way am I paying $20 for a beer glass. I'd rather spend that money on beer :laugh:
    Same here. That said, I have 4 of those Sam glasses in my collection.. but they were "come buy a beer at this bar and we'll give you free stuff."

I'd rather put $20 out there for a sixer of Sucks, or a bomber of something nice (and maybe a slim jim or something).

However... if I can get my mitts on one of these glasses and try it... I'll let you'se guys know if it makes any difference.
  • BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yea what auddii said...

Other than the bottom making bubbles I don't see much difference between this and a Weizen or Flute glass. (at least at the top)

While I can see the need for a couple different kinds of glassware. I'm just not that much of an expert or should I say my palate and nose are just not that developed to appreciate anything more. It's kind of like the difference between 128 kbps and 192 kbps in mp3's My ears just can't tell the difference so I just stick to 128... That way I can fit more music on my player / phone. :-)
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    My wife got me the Libby's combo pack for christmas 2 years ago, a glass for almost anything. I'm like big dog, not that refined, probalby nowhere near it. But they work for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Libbey-Craft-Sampler-Clear-6-Piece/dp/B006PKHD9U/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1360695303&sr=1-1
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I love using as proper glassware as I can swing but I think there's a point of diminishing returns (and storage space) on having a glass for each style. Also if I drink multiple styles that don't all use the same glass I'm doing more dishes that night. I have some pint glasses, some tulips, some snifters, some shakers, wine glasses/flutes and some random little ****. I really think that's gonna cover whatever I need to drink without taking up too much space in my cabinets. I would like to get some trappist glasses but the Rochefort ones are the prettiest and they're hella expensive.

On this glass it just looks to me like a snifter with a ribbed base. And it does look like a butt-plug.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Best thing about that glass? It's 19 oz (540 ml)! Perfect for a nice BIG IPA :glasses:
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    These are my favourites though (for my English Bitter)

313ku-QxMpL.jpg