"carbing up"

Options
Hi, just thinking out loud and wondering what others think. This morning (I lift at 7am) I was on fire on SOHP, I hit 50kg for 8 reps. My previous best at the weight is 5 reps and my PR is 57.5kg, both at heavier BW.

The only thing I can think of that I did differently is having a big bowl of porridge late last night. Could "carbing up" in this way have effected my strength so positively? or did I just have a really good day?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I know people who swear by carb refeeds when it comes to lift performance. From a body fuel perspective, it makes sense. However, I have no firsthand experience with it to offer.
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Im trying it again tonight. Deadlift tomorrow will report back
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It went OK. 4 reps at 152.5kg which was my tagerts, and then singles at 160x2 and 167.5 which is ok considering I have lost weight since I hit anything higher. 175kg failed at mid shin.

Maybe yesterday was just an awesome day, maybe the carb load did help a little?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    It went OK. 4 reps at 152.5kg which was my tagerts, and then singles at 160x2 and 167.5 which is ok considering I have lost weight since I hit anything higher. 175kg failed at mid shin.

Tough call. I hear a lot from the more experienced lifters that there are just some things that can't be easily explained, and most of which would be outside of the realm of your control anyway. It goes a long way to explain some of the superstitions that many pro athletes have.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

I read an article by Arnold Schwarzengger (spelling?) about when he use to train. Apparently him and a buddy would go to the "House of Pies" in CA and each would eat a cherry pie the night after training. I don't remember how often they did this but they did and this was long before the concept of carb back-loading and what not.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Seems legit (no, i'm not being sarcastic). Your glycogen reserves were nicely topped off.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Makes sense to me.

A good portion of my PRs came on days that I ate a lot of food that day or the night before.
    Mcdonalds has given me more PRs than anything.
  • katherinepolumbo
    Options
    Hah! I love it. Some of my best PRs came right after Christmas, during which time I loaded up on Christmas cookies galore. So yeah, it kinda does make sense! :)