Anybody there?

:sad: I checked out the # of members here and see there's somewhere over 300... Guess I'm over anxious for reply to my post but also noted there are large gaps between posts probably due to low numbers etc... All the old posts I've read tho are REALLY helpful and encouraging. Congrats to every one of you who have given away the smoking while also working your bodies and changing your eating habits. AWESOME! I'll check in again tomorrow for some replies..or maybe in 5 minutes! LOL :laugh:

Replies

• Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Sorry! I should read the posts more often.It has been 14 months since I quit and I feel 10 years younger.I have saved almost $3000.00.
  • I joined MFP in Jan but just joined this group. I was a pack a day smoker & quit cold turkey on 12/10/12. Instead of smoking, I ate pretty much everything that wasnt nailed down ;) I did this for about 3wks before I got serious with eating healthy again & working out. I remember saying "I will pay a trainer with money I save from quitting if I have to." I kept reminding myself that the health benefits of quitting smoking far outweighed me putting weight on, which I knew I could get off later on. I figured the first few weeks would be the worst, so I was not too hard on myself for the crazy eating, etc. I did lots of deep breathing exercises to get through cravings & kept reminding myself that the actual craving only last a few minutes. The real ***** was times when i had beck to back cravings... I noticed the cravings significantly decreased after first week but took about three weeks to go full day without a craving. I have a few here & there now, which is typically during a very stressful time &/or if I am having drinks with friends (something about alcohol & a cigerette). Anyway, I also downloaded a few apps on my phone that help support you through quitting. One app allows you to keep track of cravings really easily. that helped me to see that they were decreasing when they sure did not feel like it. I also liked seeing the progress % counting & telling me the health benefit milestones I was & am still reaching.

I have lost all the weight I gained in those first few weeks of quitting (over 10 lbs!!) + a few more already.I started TurboFire in Jan & felt like I was going to collapse but I am keeping up now. I also just started jogging/running about two weeks ago for first time in 2yrs.I started at 1min increments & can now run for 4-7 min increments with fast pace walking in between. Small steps but quitting & being able to lose the weight & jogging/running is possible. Good Luck!!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I check this board regularly but don't always post. I quit June 30, 2012 cold turkey. It took me a couple of weeks to get through the nicotine withdrawal and I was posting here a lot as I struggled. Once I had a good handle on it and needed less support, my posting here waned. However, I always check in here to support others!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    I'm a non-smoker for over a year now, so not on as often...but welcome!
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    I am 42 days smoke free! I was a pack per day smoker and quit cold turkey as well. It wasn't easy, and it sure wasn't pretty!!

It took me a few weeks to start feeling like a normal human being again, plus I made the mistake of substituting my nicotine cravings with sugar (to get that 'high/rush' I think). That perpetuated a 'screw it' attitude when it came to diet and exercise. I was still sporadically doing bootcamp, etc. but wasn't doing anywhere close to what I normally did.

I also learned a lot about my patterns and habits. I found that I really missed that quiet time and break when I went out for a cigarette. At first I would walk around the block as fast as I could when I was having a massive craving and felt like lashing out at my family. haha. I'm much nicer to be around now. :)

These forums helped, plus there are several websites that have forums that offer support as well. My friend uses smokershelpline I think. :)