Lunges

Options
So I'm on the last 2 weeks of Stage 1 now and I can lunge with a 10kg dumbbell in each hand. My problem is that the next size up is 15kg and I can't quite lift those. How can I work my way up to the 15kg's? Is there anything else I can do to make them harder untill I'm strong enough to hold the 15kg weights?

Replies

• chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Start using a bar. A normal Oly bar is 45 lbs. Some are 35, though. No grip needed ;)
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Wow...that is a huge jump! I was lamenting the 25 to 30 pound jump on my step up dumbbells this am! I think chicbuc's suggestion is good.

You can start doing farmer's walks (just walk around with the dumb bells in your hands) to strengthen your grip.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Is it a question of grip strength? I'm at 15 lbs in each hand for lunges and 30 lbs in each hand for squats and deadlift with gloves on.
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Is it a question of grip strength? I'm at 15 lbs in each hand for lunges and 30 lbs in each hand for squats and deadlift with gloves on.

I can't lift the 15kg dumbbells with one hand, so I can't get them out the rack :p I guess I could ask someone to put them on the floor for me so I can pick them up.

Think I will try the Barbell idea as we have those in incriments of 2.5kg from 20kg to 30kg.
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options
    OMG really?? I thought it was bad enough to have 10 kg and 12 kg in my gym and no 11 kgs :) I struggle with the 12s but I am concentrating on form. I won't be able to use the 14s any time soon I think. But you never know, right? I just don't get it why there wouldn't be any weights between 10 and 15 kg!

Hopefully you will sort this out somehow :)
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Start using a bar. A normal Oly bar is 45 lbs. Some are 35, though. No grip needed ;)

This. It will work your core better too since you'll balance it on your shoulders :smile:
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    I agree, the barbell is the way to go :) It not only helps you w/balance it helps w/your arms and holding the barbell up.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,940 Member
    Options
    Well, to be contrarian, I don't think you want to go the BB route....

The DB's actually account for some of the symmetry issues your body might be trying to sort out.

You can increase the weights slowly if you use wrist weights, in addition to the 15 kg DBs. You can find wrist weights in 1 lb, 2 lb, 2.5 lb, etc increments. Put those on, continue to use the 15 kb DBs and keep lungeing!

Make sure your form is PERFECT. Nice and deep into the lunge with legs far enough apart that you are getting perfect right angles in each leg at the bottom of the lunge.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    agreed. If you are having grip issues, take a look at versa gripps. They have been a life saver for me! I use them for all my lifts and pulls. There are the official version, but check some of your local supplement/vitamin stores and you might find a less expensive generic kind that are equally as good!

Seriously!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I agree with working on your form. Really focus on doing each rep with perfect form.

I find that after I increase my weights, my form suffers, then as the weight gets easier for me, my form improves. Only when I can do each rep with perfect form do I consider upping my weights. If I can't up my weights because the jump between dumbbells is too large, then I up my reps. Eventually, I bump up my weights and might do a few less reps if necessary.

Even though I don't stray too far from the program, you don't have to do the exact number of reps each time -- you can adjust for heavier or lighter weights.
  • KatLifter
    Options

The DB's actually account for some of the symmetry issues your body might be trying to sort out.

Beeps, what do you mean by this?
  • MyOwnSunshine
    Options
    I think what she is saying is that when we use a barbell for an exercise, it allows our stronger side to compensate for our weaker side, therefore, the weaker side doesn't get the full benefit of the exercise.

For example, think about doing a barbell bench press on an incline bench as opposed to a dumbbell chest press on the same bench. I'll bet you can bench press more combined weight with the barbell than you can with two separate dumbbells. I can barbell bench press at least 80 pounds, but couldn't dumbbell chest press 40 pounds x 2.

It's easier to lift more with a barbell because your strong muscles compensate for your weak muscles. When you are resting the barbell on your back for your lunges, it shifts the weight to different muscle groups, which isn't altogether a bad thing, but it does become a different exercise.
  • KatLifter
    Options
    I think what she is saying is that when we use a barbell for an exercise, it allows our stronger side to compensate for our weaker side, therefore, the weaker side doesn't get the full benefit of the exercise.

For example, think about doing a barbell bench press on an incline bench as opposed to a dumbbell chest press on the same bench. I'll bet you can bench press more combined weight with the barbell than you can with two separate dumbbells. I can barbell bench press at least 80 pounds, but couldn't dumbbell chest press 40 pounds x 2.

It's easier to lift more with a barbell because your strong muscles compensate for your weak muscles. When you are resting the barbell on your back for your lunges, it shifts the weight to different muscle groups, which isn't altogether a bad thing, but it does become a different exercise.

Good points, thanks for clarifying.
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Well I managed to find some 12kg Kettlebells so I am using those now before I move up to the 15kg badboys.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    Options
    I have started doing Farmers Carries at the end of every workout. I pick up two 45 pound dumbbells and carry them around for as long as I can, then I set them on the floor and rest. Repeat two more times. I find that grip strength limits me with my dumbbell exercises, so I'd like to be able to hold more weight.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Well I managed to find some 12kg Kettlebells so I am using those now before I move up to the 15kg badboys.

great!

sunshine - that is a great idea!
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have started doing Farmers Carries at the end of every workout. I pick up two 45 pound dumbbells and carry them around for as long as I can, then I set them on the floor and rest. Repeat two more times. I find that grip strength limits me with my dumbbell exercises, so I'd like to be able to hold more weight.

I might have to try this - grip strength is one of my weaknesses!
  • KatLifter
    Options

I might have to try this - grip strength is one of my weaknesses!

Me too! It's stalled my deadlift progress. So frustrating.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,940 Member
    Options
    kat, if you are having trouble with your grip, on deadlift BB's, try doing a reverse grip and that should set you up quite well to go up-and-up-and-up in deadlift weight, even if your grip strength is still developing.
  • KatLifter
    Options
    kat, if you are having trouble with your grip, on deadlift BB's, try doing a reverse grip and that should set you up quite well to go up-and-up-and-up in deadlift weight, even if your grip strength is still developing.

thanks Beeps, that got me a little further, but still struggling. I need to be more patient. I'm up to 135x10.