low carb and diabetes

Options
sue2328
sue2328 Posts: 22 Member
i am a T2 diabetic and I have been following a low carb diet for 5 weeks and managed to lose 14lbs, but more importantly my blood sugar readings have fallen drastically. My dilema is that i am due to see my GP in a few weeks, and I know that he is mostly likely going to be pleased with my weight loss and blood sugar, but less impressed with the low carb diet as the 'informed' advice is to eat a balanced diet with food from all food groups. How do others deal with the medical experts who suggest low carb is not a good idea?

Replies

• EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    My doctor just shakes her head at my diet, but then says "it's working, so keep doing it" :-)
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Find a new doctor. I'm serious about that. Low carb is recognized as a viable and effective strategy for managing diabetes (and other metabolic diseases) -- things have changed so if your doctor or dietitian hasn't kept up to date you need to find a new one.
  • BlessedWith3
    Options
    Why not put it into terms he/she can embrace, you are paying attention to what you consume...you have eliminated sugar and processed foods, have started to include healthy fats, and eating quality protein and carbs. I think many people hear low carbs and all the wild images go through their heads. In reality, we are controlling our carbs.
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Why not put it into terms he/she can embrace, you are paying attention to what you consume...you have eliminated sugar and processed foods, have started to include healthy fats, and eating quality protein and carbs. I think many people hear low carbs and all the wild images go through their heads. In reality, we are controlling our carbs.

Exactly! It's all in how you say it...if you say I'm on Atkins, people assume you're eating a pound of bacon a day and tell you you're kidneys are going to explode!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    My doctor just shakes her head at my diet, but then says "it's working, so keep doing it" :-)

This! He can't argue with my weight loss, my A1c or my lipid panel.
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I see an endocrinologist for my diabetes and a low carb diet was recommended. When I was first diagnosed, I had to carb count per the dietician that doctor sent me too-- so it was reduced carb from the beginning. Right now, I eat lower carb meals with lots of protein. So, if it is working for you, don't worry about what the doctor will say- but mostly likely he will tell you to keep up the awesome job that you are doing!
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Weird, my wife's clinic loves it when their patients go lower carb. A1c's come way down and insulin use goes way down. If your doc gives you crap, you can just simply ask him if the 'beetus' is a sugar disease, why would eating less of it be a problem to you?
  • tarakay84
    Options
    I'm a T1 diabetic ( have been since I was a kid) I've just recently started low carbing.. BUT it's because my doctors have ALWAYS said it's bad for diabetics.. So i decided to do some research... I've been researching Low carb diets and diabetes. It seems that the general attitude about "low carb" is a negative one, but when you do the research it looks the best to me.

My problem is i'm trying to lose weight... But i been doing a Calorie restriction diet. and when I try to work out, I ALWAYS have a low blood sugar, so it's defeating the purpose of the work i've been doing, b/c then il have to eat something with sugar to get my blood sugar back up..

the research shows that if you follow a lower carb diet you seem to have LESS or NONE at all low blood sugars- even with working out- So i've decided to try it.

I'm an insulin pump. Since low carbing - for instance I ate 28 net carbs yesterday ( i literally just started this ) and my blood sugar ranged from 112-126 ALL day with NO insulin blolus's ALL DAY! that my friends is AMAZING! my daily totals of insulin use to avg around 100-120 yesterday it was 56 units for the whole day!

so in my opinion it has to be better for me... taking alot of insulin doesn't do anything but start the viscious cycle of weight gain all over again... So, hopefully i'll achieve BOTH goals 1. getting my DM normalized --> meaning not having drastic HIGHS or LOWS ( b/c my AIC is normal range) but it's the ups and downs that effect me the most and 2. WEIGHT LOSS!

GOOD LUCK!
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Let the results speak for themselves. If your doctor doesn't like the results of a low carb diet then it's time to get a new doctor.
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I agree, new doctor. My doctor embraces low carb.
  • Linda860
    Linda860 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of doctors out there who don't "get" low carb. They are simply uninformed, in my opinion. Either keep your doctor and inform him by your success (if you care to), or get thee to a new doctor.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Give your doctor the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps he is very pro low carb diet for controlling diabetes.