My name is Dave, and I'm a diabetic

Options
CincyDave
CincyDave Posts: 17 Member
I just got my diagnosis 2 weeks ago, so I'm new to this.

A few years back, I was successful at losing some weight with this site, so I thought I'd try it again.

I'd love to hear from people who were successful at controlling their blood sugar. I'm going to need all the help I can get.

-Dave

Replies

• robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi Dave and welcome to this group. The good news is that the MFP programme is a great tool for those people trying to control their blood sugars. Just remember that the carb targets set by MFP are a little high for diabetics and need to be adjusted downwards. You know from experience some of the benefits of MFP. Read over the various boards associated with this group and when you're ready to ask questions you will find lots of people here who are willing to share their experience. Feel free to send me a friend request if you think I might be able to help.
  • made2wonder
    made2wonder Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi, Dave. I've been diligent with my meds and making changes in my diet for the past year and a half. My A1c has come down from 7.2 to 5.7 without much weight loss at all. I think I'm down 10 pounds from the beginning of 2012. I picked fiber bars instead of candy bars, whole grains instead of bread and chips, and added more veggies and fruit. So just making better choices can help.

But I know I can do even better with some weight loss, so I joined MFP 6 weeks ago. Now, in addition to the diet, I'm trying to squeeze in some exercise to further boost my health and decrease the need for all my meds.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Welcome Dave. I have lowered my BS down from high 200's almost 300's (a few times hit into the 300's). I now have it down to the 80-95 range and no longer taking my BS medicine (unless I see a major spike that is... I take/was taking glyburide) This medicine drops your sugar asap, unlike Metformin, but from what I have read / learned lately this is not a good medicine to be on, Metformin is better. So I am trying to get my sugar down to 70 without the meds. :) Today my FBS (fasting blood sugar) was 94 without meds, where a month ago, with the meds twice a day (morning and night), it was 297... so I have come a long ways in a short time. Please feel free to add me as a friend also :) and this is a great group to help answer your questions. Also this is a good website to get lots of info too http://www.bloodsugar101.com/
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I just got my diagnosis 2 weeks ago, so I'm new to this.

A few years back, I was successful at losing some weight with this site, so I thought I'd try it again.

I'd love to hear from people who were successful at controlling their blood sugar. I'm going to need all the help I can get.

-Dave

Hi Dave, congrats on your decision to come back and welcome to this group. You'll find many here eager to offer you their help
    with any questions you might have controlling your blood sugars. I was dx'd T2 in 1986 and successfully control my blood sugars with Metformin and insulin therapies.

It appears by your av your in the cincy area? Me too!

Please add me if you'd like.

Bob

Good Luck!
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hi Dave, Welcome to the group.

I was diagnosed back in August last year. It was the best thing that happened to me!!! It was a huge wake up call that I needed to do something about the way I was living.

With the help of MFP, gym membership I use and a new found love of exercise I've got my BG back under control without medication. I say all this not to brag but as an indication that you can get your blood sugars back in control too.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Welcome Dave,

I was diagnosed about 18 months ago. Shortly after the initial shock of being diagnosed I set about changing my lifestyle. I've had a great deal of success with controlling my blood sugar with a proper diet and regular exercise. I was on medication for about 14 months. I no longer need meds to control the blood sugar.

If you've had success in the past you can do it again. Set a goal and make it a priority to achieve that goal.
  • psv1012
    psv1012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi Dave and welcome to the group. I am pretty new with the desease myself (Aug.2012). Wit the help of this site and the life changes I have made plus medformin medication,I have lost 44 pounds and have lowered all my numbers to a healthy level ! Initially it is very scarey,but it is a way of life and it gets easier. Exercise has been a big help for me. Best of luck . :)