How to have DV calcium?

Options
Hi,
Since I shifted to Veggy diet, finds difficult to have DV calcium and iron without adding much to calorie intake.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Replies

• libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I don't know what DV calcium is....
  • dzuli823
    dzuli823 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You mean daily value? I take supplements for both, but there's lots and lots of plant foods contain both these. Do a search, but, for example, broccoli has about half that of milk. Then there's soy. If I recall correctly, almond milk has twice that of milk.
  • dzuli823
    Options
    Also, beans are the iron powerhouse of plant food. Eat them with some citrus to increase your absorption, though.

Calcium fortified oj too. There's tons really.
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Ah...getting used to the abbreviations still. Thanks for the clarification.
  • tomatini
    tomatini Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Tahini can be a good source of calcium. It's not low-fat so it should be used sparingly, but a little bit as a base in hummus or salad dressings is good. Tofu and almond milk are other staples in my diet that contain a good amount of calcium. Oh, and chia seeds! If you can sneak a spoonful of chia seeds into a smoothie or your cereal or something it gives you a nice little boost. :)

For iron, beans, greens and some grains (like barley) are awesome. And yes, vitamin C aids iron absorption.

With that being said, I still take supplements. I eat a vegan diet so there are some days where I am well over my DV of iron and calcium without the supplements, but there are others where am well short of the DV, so better safe than sorry.
  • dzuli823
    Options
    I had no idea tahini was so high in calcium! Thanks for posting it! Plant food continues to amaze me.

I like chia seeds too. I often forget to use them, though. I should keep them out on my counter.