Paleo Nachos

Options
2»

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Thank so much for sharing this! I am a nacho lover big time. I'm still having the toppings occasionally but put it on shredded lettuce instead. Better than nothing.

I like the idea of the sweet potatoes. I'm not ready to do that yet, but once I have all my health issues fully resolved, I am going to try it!

I really enjoyed your pictures/description/instructions. I intermittent fast too, so I'm just as likely to eat something like that for one meal too! That would be heaven!
  • MiRatlhed
    MiRatlhed Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am glad this got bumped. Great read and you do a excellent job on the write ups of your kitchen adventures!!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Thank so much for sharing this! I am a nacho lover big time. I'm still having the toppings occasionally but put it on shredded lettuce instead. Better than nothing.

I like the idea of the sweet potatoes. I'm not ready to do that yet, but once I have all my health issues fully resolved, I am going to try it!

I really enjoyed your pictures/description/instructions. I intermittent fast too, so I'm just as likely to eat something like that for one meal too! That would be heaven!

Nachos truly is the most heavenly food there is. :P Nachos + IF = heaven, have to say. BTW, while I'm not sure why exactly you can't have sweet potatoes, it is possible to create chips from zucchini - just bake them the way I showed in the recipe, except prior to putting them in the oven, dip them in egg-whites to give it some crisp.
    Also, as an added benefit I've found...
    I am glad this got bumped. Great read and you do a excellent job on the write ups of your kitchen adventures!!

Cheers, seriously everyone, I hope the recipe works out for you and you like it. But I'd also like to post a little update, albeit an obvious one.

So, I found myself cooking for some of my new Uni pals the other day - rough call, being coeliac, Primal and, well, weird, so my dish was... nachos. Of course. I had a problem though.
    I had no meat on hand.

To anyone who's gone through University, college or just on a low budget, you probably know what it's like when it comes to buying decent meat and protein sources - damn, freaking hard. Unless, of course, you want to buy offal. Which is, btw, RIDICULOUSLY cheap and quite nutritious:
    8533882158_9f92e3f8db.jpg

^That amount of offal - along with mixed in veggies - once diced up into small cubes and cooked via the recipe, came out at four servings, each this size:
    8542082685_df112f2778.jpg
    8542083007_e24c23cc0f.jpg

And when I say "four servings", I mean "four servings if you eat all your calories in one go and are a gluttonous pig" - so basically, for under ten bucks you get an ENORMOUS amount of food.

But budget wise aside, how does this relate to the story of serving my Uni friends? Well, it was cheap meat, and uh... well, I served them organs.
    They did not notice.
    Yep. Didn't notice a damn thing. Had no idea the beef they were eating was actually heart and lamb liver. Does that make me a bad person? I'd like to say: no, because really, everything about this can be extremely nutritious.

TL;DR: What I'm getting at here is that nachos - or just ground chill meat as "tacos", "burgers" or whatever is an AMAZING way to get started on eating organ meats, which are extremely nutritious, and to those who count calories, a leaner source of protein than chicken - I kid you not - and you can't even tell it's organ meat.
    It's also a great way to get in your vitamins and stuff from all the veggies you can effortlessly toss into the mix, and is pretty to store.

I dunno exactly why I'm posting this update thing. I guess it's just because - what, with my busy new schedule - it's been a lot harder to prep food and hit my macros and micros, and I'm finding just cooking up a massive batch of chill a couple times of week is cheap, convenient and nutritious.
    Anyway. That's my piece said here.
  • szulbam
    szulbam Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bump - not for the organ meat, but for the original nacho recipe :-)
  • MiRatlhed
    MiRatlhed Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think it is great that you served them organ meat and they never knew it. I have not studied these organs but find it quite intriguing that they are leaner than chicken. Going to have to check that out some more since I love stir fry meals mixed with veggies. They make a great way to get several meals for on the go nutrition. That way I am not hunting down a place to get some food.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    HA! That's awesome that you served offal! I really want to try offal, but I am a bad cook and I fear messing it up. Maybe I can make offal nachos...
  • AnR28
    AnR28 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!