Beertastophy!!!

Options
BBinNC
BBinNC Posts: 73 Member
i had purchased a 6 pack of Southern Tier's 2X IPA to enjoy over the weekend. All good. A favorite and a splurge both calorie wise and monetarily.

Then it happened. I was carrying the 6 pack into the house when the bottom gave way, sending all 6 beers crashing to the asphalt. GAH! NO!

Only 3 survived. So sad. So disappointing.

I guess I shouldn't be too upset. It's not like my home brewing friends who have to dump an entire batch of beer.

I want to hear your Beertasophy!

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering about this. I bought a six pack of Shiner because I was just using it to cook with, and the packaging was splitting down the middle, and if I hadn't had it in a canvas bag, I'm sure I would have lost some on the trip to the car. I'm headed to the local brewery today for a "tour", and they encourage you to bring back six packs for recycling (not the bottles, but the cardboard carriers). If this is a trend, I would think the reusing may be leading to a break down of the packaging. Or people are cutting corners to reduce expenses. Either way, it's annoying as hell. Email the brewery and let them know!!!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    A couple of months ago I picked up a bottle of Black Butte XXIV at the grocery store on a weekly Saturday morning shopping trip. My kids were helping me bring the groceries in from the car. The bag containing the Black Butte and a bottle of Coney Island Lager were apparently on the edge of the kitchen island when my 9 year old son put some other bags up there that pushed the beers off onto the floor with a sickening crunch. "Please let it be the Coney Island. Please let it be the Coney Island." The thick dark ooze seeping from the bag quickly let me know that it was not the Coney Island that I had heard take the brunt of the fall. My son started crying, sure he was going to die. I reassured him that I understood it was an accident and that I wasn't mad at him. As I was cleaning up the wonderful smelling carnage from the floor my 7 year old daughter said "Daddy, I'm really good at funeral speeches so if you want to bury that in the back yard I'll give the speech." (No ****, she's hilarious). So I get everything cleaned up and tell the kids "Let's go". We got back in the car (they complained the whole time) and we went back to the store where there was only one bottle left on the shelf - and none in the back. I told my son he was really lucky there was one left. He asked why and I said that if they had all been gone he would have to put up with me crying the rest of the day.
  • So a year ago my local homebrew club purchased a 55 gal bourbon barrel. We decided to put a barleywine into it. We had about 15 people contribute batches of barleywine they brewed (we all used the same recipe) then we let it age for several months. Well it went too far and ended up getting infected :(. Unfortunately whatever infection it had is very resistant because I made this killer Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout some months afterwards and it ended up getting infected when I bottled it even though we thought thoroughly sanitized everything. Now we are bleaching what we can and ordering things we don't think will be salvageable. That entire 3 gal batch of Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout is gone though. :'(
  • leejusd
    Options
    I was on my way to a party several years ago and was the mood for a couple Irish car bombs. I pick up some Guiness, a bottle of Baileys, and a bottle of Jameson whiskey. I put all of the bottles into the front seat of my truck. I get to the party, open the passenger door to get my booze, and the new, full, bottle of Jameson tips over, rolls, throws itself out of my truck and lands on the curb and shatters. I just stand there holding back the tears. Not cheap. Not beer but close enough.
  • leejusd
    Options
    My brother works for Fort George Brewery in Astoria, OR. (www.fortgeorgebrewery.com - If you are in the area, check them out.) Like all small breweries, they like to expirement. They aquired a used oak cask(wine I believe) to finish off small one time batch. I don't remember what type of beer it was, but it was aging in the cask for better part of a year. When time came to transfer the beer to a keg, the bottom of the cask burst open and all was lost.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I invited a big group of friends over for a get together and most of them brought Bud Light. With Lime. They drank all my good beer.

I didn't get to have a beer at my own party. :cry:
  • BBinNC
    BBinNC Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Booooo!
    I invited a big group of friends over for a get together and most of them brought Bud Light. With Lime. They drank all my good beer.

• BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options

LOL... That is too true. I have had people over that are always really vocal about how "There's nothing wrong with their Natty Light., this light, that light, blah, blah, blah... You're just a beer snob." But who's drinking up all the home brew and craft brews in my fridge? Yup, the Natty Light losers. That's ok though. It just means eventually they will start bringing better beer to the party.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

LOL... That is too true. I have had people over that are always really vocal about how "There's nothing wrong with their Natty Light., this light, that light, blah, blah, blah... You're just a beer snob." But who's drinking up all the home brew and craft brews in my fridge? Yup, the Natty Light losers. That's ok though. It just means eventually they will start bringing better beer to the party.

Just so long as they take their left overs with them...
  • juditanne
    juditanne Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Just so long as they take their left overs with them...

lol. i had a party once and someone brought over a 30 pack of PBR. ofc no one drank it so i gave it away on craig's list.
  • mswize
    mswize Posts: 113 Member
    Options

That is definitely a Beertastophy!!
  • esjaygee
    esjaygee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    While beer-cationing in Minneapolis I met someone to do an in person beer trade. I had put the beers into a box that unkown to me apparently had a flimsy bottom. The bottom gave way and all you could hear was a loud crash and glass was everywhere. About half of the beers I was trading him broke - thankfully none of the rare ones that might have been tough to replace. He was cool about it and I managed to recollect the broken ones and get them to him several months later when he visited Milwaukee.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

This makes me so sad!!!

---

My friend's in a band and gets a lot of local gigs. His band got an evening at the House of Blues. I hadn't had beer in a couple of weeks and was DYING for a good brew - HOB promised some local options on their menu, and I was excited.

Beertastrophe #1: There were no local brews, just run-of-the-mill bar options.
    Beertastrophe #2: They were charging $7 for a Guinness.
    Beertastrophe #3: The keg floated after one Guinness and they didn't have more.

That was a sad night. At least the band was good.
  • Rottnme
    Rottnme Posts: 167 Member
    Options

This would be the point where I pull out the batt and we do some batting practice. By lawn if by can, by driveway if by glass.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I lost a growler of The Event Horizon this past fall. The cap wasn't quite sealed when I had it filled, so I got home.. put it into the beer fridge.. an it was completely flat on the first pour.

....I died.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I brought home a six pack of Mad Anthony Amber Ale from Fort Wayne, IN when we went on a "trip" there... didn't realize some of the bottles had hooked onto a suitcase strap, and the whole case flung out, smashing two bottles onto the driveway. :( They don't distribute outside of Indiana, and we live in Michigan three hours away. *Sigh*