Go Veggie Slices Vs. Real Cheese

Options
Hello, so I eat cheese... a lot. I'm vegetarian, but I doubt I could go full vegan. I do although want a healthier alternative to cheese and its hard to give up real cheese. So is Go Veggie Slices healthier or not? I've been debating it for awhile, also is it even any good? I don't want it to be a waste of money.

Replies

• farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I do not know about the slices or taste, but most mass produced cheeses these days are not made using real rennet but a non animal derived substitute

So if your concern is the rennet & not the milk then I would check it out and see what type of rennet is used first

If the slices are made using non animal derived milk, and milk is your concern FWIW any non animal milk derived cheese I have tried just was not the same
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Here' the site listing the ingredients: http://www.goveggiefoods.com/our-products/lactose-free/slices/american-cheese-alternative/

I see milk, cream, and soy on that list. The soy claims to be organic, but I only trust fermented soy, because 99.9% of american, non-fermented soy is a GMO- genetically modified organism, and covered in pesticides, herbicides, and synthetic fertilizers- leeetle bit counter-productive to the whole clean-eating idea! Also, if I see a soy product claiming to be organic, the first thing I look for is a seal stating the product is certified by the non-GMO project, which I don't see on this package.

I am a fellow cheese-lover. I say go organic dairy or don't do it at all, because of the hormones, antibiotics, and horrible food given to factory-farmed cows.

It's hard for me not to eat cheese, but I try to eat creamy things like avocado and olive oil to my pastas and such. Good luck and feel free to message me with any questions. :-)
  • dzuli823
    dzuli823 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Here' the site listing the ingredients: http://www.goveggiefoods.com/our-products/lactose-free/slices/american-cheese-alternative/

I see milk, cream, and soy on that list. The soy claims to be organic, but I only trust fermented soy, because 99.9% of american, non-fermented soy is a GMO- genetically modified organism, and covered in pesticides, herbicides, and synthetic fertilizers- leeetle bit counter-productive to the whole clean-eating idea! Also, if I see a soy product claiming to be organic, the first thing I look for is a seal stating the product is certified by the non-GMO project, which I don't see on this package.

I am a fellow cheese-lover. I say go organic dairy or don't do it at all, because of the hormones, antibiotics, and horrible food given to factory-farmed cows.

It's hard for me not to eat cheese, but I try to eat creamy things like avocado and olive oil to my pastas and such. Good luck and feel free to message me with any questions. :-)

Great answer, and I agree
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I just eat real (organic) cheese, in moderation. I don't try to "replace" anything in my diet...I just find healthy foods that I like and (try) to eat them in moderation. I don't have any reasons (lactose intolerance, etc.) to not eat dairy, however.
  • shalomabeth
    shalomabeth Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I could never be vegan i get sick without protein. i am locatose intolerant so i only only do lactose free stuff
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    THExNEKOxCHAN Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    "Veggie" alternatives tend to be highly processed, and often involve soy, most of which is GMO these days. Bad news. Steer clear of it, and have regular cheese. it's better for you anyway.