Dumbbells workout recommendation

Options
sun_fish
sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
Hi ~ on a thread today you (Sara) mentioned a dumbbells workout as an alternative to lifting with a barbell. I would be interested in knowing what you or SS suggest. I have looked online but sometimes that can be confusing with all the different options and opinions out there.

I am a 51 year old woman, lightly active, currently doing yoga and walking several times a week. I have lost about 20 pounds and my goal is to lose 40 more. I am interested in something like SL5x5, but don't think I am ready for that physically. I am currently undergoing physical therapy for knee pain, so any type of squats, lunges, etc are out for now. My therapist has me doing isolation exercises with ankle weights to strengthen quads and glutes. Not sure what is causing the pain, doc has ruled out arthritis and meniscus injury, and suggested I go the physical therapy route before doing an MRI. The pain is subsiding, and therapist feels I will eventually be able to do any exercise. In the meantime, I would like to use dumbbells for upper body strengthening, and as a way to prepare for something like SL.

Any suggestions are most appreciated, thank you!

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a gym?
  • sun_fish
    Options
    I don't currently belong to a gym, but am going to go check out the 3 in my area this week.
  • sun_fish
    Options
    Any thoughts for a dumbbell workout?

Going to gym #1 today to take advantage of their 7 day trial - need to do the exercise bike per physical therapists recommendation, so will be checking out their free weights while I'm there.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What dumbbell weights do you have at home?
  • sun_fish
    Options
    5 and 8 pounds.