beginner strength training

Options
heidi555
heidi555 Posts: 69 Member
Hi Fellow EM2LWers,

This week I wanna start a strength training program but I am at home and VERY BEGINNER (like can't do one pushup)
I was thinking crunches, squats, I have light weight dumbbells for arms, i have a resistance band I'm thinking back...
Just curious where you guys started ???
I'm planning on 3 days a week?
I watched a youtube vid of cathe STS and holy u know what she is tough I don't think i can handle that yet lol

I appreciate all ideas and yes I eventually plan to join a gym...
THANKS!!!!
Heidi

Replies

• AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    For me, hands down Cathe is the best! Great form, very motivating and goes slow enough that you don't feel rushed. If you go to her website check out the Gym Style Series (of 3 DVDs) . You will need some dumbells. She uses a barbell some, but you could easily use dumbells on these exercises if you wanted to. I do 100% of my workouts at home, and 99% of it is with Cathe (and Leslie Sansone on the non-weight days...)
  • heidi555
    Options
    thanks Anitra I will look into those :)
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I started off with Jillian Michael's Body Revolution which was tough but a GREAT program! It's circuit training and the entire program is 3 months long.

From there, I moved on to ChaLEAN Extreme and I have to say I prefer strength training to circuit training. I love being able to lift heavy and it just makes me feel stronger!

For both programs, you'll just need dumbbells and/or resistance bands.

If you don't want to bother with DVD's, here's a site that has lots of great workouts (and even has beginner ones too!):

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html
  • heidi555
    Options
    wow love the site thanks and will look into the videos :)
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    If you're not afraid of bar bells and you really want to gain strength, I highly recommend lifting heavy.

I'm doing a mix of Starting Strengh and Stronglifts, and I'm loving every minute of it. I'm 45 and pretty weaksauce, and it took me a good 2 weeks (5-6 sessions) to work my up to the empty olympic bar (45 lbs) with squats and presses, but man ... it's the most challenging, fun, frustrating, fabulous workout I've ever done in my life ever. I so look forward to lifting days!

I've started to add more cardio to my resting days just to boost fat loss, but nothing heavy. Don't want it interfering with my lifting fun.

P.S. If you do a whole-body compound lifting program you will never have to do another crunch, ever. Cause your abs will have to work on keeping your body stabilized while lifting, and they will become stronger without you having to isolate them. Which I'm super happy about because I hate anything to do with crunches. Planks is about all the ab work I can stand during yoga sessions.

Anyway that's my 2 cents for whatever that's worth to ya. :happy:
  • regmcc
    regmcc Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • heidi555
    Options
    thanks so much for the reply. Yes I think I wanna lift heavy and yes i would definitely have to work up to it... right now squats without weight are tough lol and yes I hate crunches.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Would like to know this too.
  • heidi555
    Options
    holy i just googled whole body compound lift program and i think i need a trainer at a gym :) looks great though thanks for the tips
  • cafel3
    cafel3 Posts: 89
    Options
    You could start with bodyweight exercises and then add dumbbells or barbells once you master the basic moves (squat, lunge, hip hinge, glute bridge, pushups, maybe I forgot something):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvCfGWlODKc&list=PLCFA0845638620E25
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/17/advanced-body-weight-workout-warning-this-will-kick-your-*kitten*/
  • caligulala
    caligulala Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've lifted lots of weights in my life. For some reason the only 2 electives I ever got in middle school were weight lifting and home ec! However, I just can't get to a gym right now and don't want to invest in any weights. So I've been doing the You Are Your Own Gym program and it is really great. There is an app available for $3 that has all the exercises demonstrated, the timers and the programs. Super cheap, don't need any equipment and good results. It's a great place to start.
  • heidi555
    Options
    thanks SO MUCH for the TIPS!!!! I need them :)
  • heidi555
    Options
    omg this guy is good i was definitely doing squats wrong and using my quads...!!!
  • Floraphx
    Floraphx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bump as I need this info also.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for the reply. Yes I think I wanna lift heavy and yes i would definitely have to work up to it... right now squats without weight are tough lol and yes I hate crunches.

This is a good approach. If you've never lifted a weight before, lifting "heavy" is a ways off. Even doing bodyweight, you can work on form. With the elastic band, you can add to bodyweight, like stand on the band and strap it around your shoulders and squat with that so you get more resistance once you are good with bodyweight by itself. There is a lot you can do to get started. Eventually you need to get to where you can use a barbell and work the compound movements that will help your overall body development.
  • heidi555
    Options
    wow downloading the app now it looks great and so many great reviews thanks !
    and thanks for the tip on using the resistance band :)
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    bump and thanks for posting.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I got my feet wet with body pump then hubby teased me when I would lift with him about the light barbie weights. So of course I just had to show him and started lifting heavier. THEN Kiki introduced me to Cathe's STS program. That is one body transforming program. It is a tough program that you should consider eventually. You literally test your one rep max (1RM) so really anyone can do the program because the weights are determined once you complete the 1RM testing. I am no longer a cardio bunny so the 1st portion of it kills me everytime...muscle endurance...but the hypertrophy and strength phases...I LOVE!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    There's lots of different ways to approach lifting/strength training. I think it boils down to you finding something that works for you and that you're going to stick with.

I personally find resistance bands and dumbbells boring, so I chose barbells. I hate doing pushups so body weight training didn't appeal to me at all. But, you may love dumbbells, who knows?

There's also kettlebells out there, which give you a mean combination of cardio and strength that is highly effective. I would have done kettlebells, had I not fallen in love with barbell training.

Just pick something that appeals to you, and go for it. Try it for a month or so, then reevaluate. If you're a complete beginner, you're going to see results regardless of which program you choose (Mark Rippetoe calls that "the novice effect"). Do squats without weights, get the right form down (below parallel) and then add dumbbells. Why not? Lots of people do it that way. Sometimes you have to dip your toes in and run around the flat end of the pool before you get the desire to pick up the heavier things and put them back down again. :happy:

I'm personally super excited that after 2 weeks of moving around barbells in ways I didn't think possible, my batwings look like they're beginning to shrink. Yay! :drinker: