Nutella sucks

Options
doneatfour
doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
Why, oh why, do I buy Nutella? I say it's for the kids, then can't keep out if it. Just needed to vent really. I'm annoyed at myself for having three slices of bread smeared in Nutella today. Knocked me out of ketosis. :angry: I've had such a difficult time staying on track the last couple of weeks. I can't stay in ketosis because right when I get back in, I screw up again. I don't know why. Well, this week it is PMS. Last year when I lost most of my weight, it seemed easier. I'd make a bad choice, sometimes deliberately, but I wouldn't let it ruin my day or week. Then in September I had so much going on I thought I'd try upping carbs and calories. Did well for a couple of months with maintaining but then December hit and I gained five pounds. Time to be strict again and lose those five plus the leftover from last year. i had a good first month, but it's been a struggle. Especially the last two and a half weeks.

Last year when I lost most of my weight I would do strength training (body weight) when I had bad days to help (hopefully) burn through the glycogen stores. Now I just did strength two days in a row and don't know if I should make it a third. Probably will because I feel like crap. What do you guys do when you've had a cheat day? I know, get right back on track. I say it often. But do you have any special tricks?

Replies

• Hummingbird82
    Hummingbird82 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Key word "PMS" Don;t beat yourself up about it! Trust me it is hard for most women 99.9% I'm sure to control appetitie during PMS but don't let it discourage you! Just get back on track when you can all women face TOM with the same issues of appetite control. You are not alone! But if you look into the scientific literature it does say that women's metabolism is slightly elevated at this time and you being hungry is not in your head it is hormonal. We actually need about 150- 300 more calories a day and there is a reason you crave carbs during this time, your progesterone levels are increasing. Progesterone is an appetite stimulant. Also your serotonin levels decrease and when you eat carbs you activate your brain to release serotonin which makes you feel better! So don't overindulge but don't beat yourself up about that "Extra piece of bread" or the "Nutella". Yes you are temporarily kicked out of ketosis but you may not actually be able to help it. Just get back on the wagon after "PMS" and keep on trackiong you can do it!!!!

Scientific literature if interested :
    Davidsen et. al. Impact of the menstrual cycle on determinants of energy balance: a putative role in weight loss attempts. International Journal of Obesity (2007) 31, 887-890
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I love nutella too!
    If you have a really good food processor, you can make homemade low carb Nutella using hazelnuts from the grocery store. Buy a bag of plain hazelnuts, place on a baking sheet and roast at 350 f until lightly golden. Then add to the food processor with about a quarter cup unsweetened almond milk, a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder and a tablespoon of stevia or Splenda. Then process until smooth. This keeps in a sealed container in the fridge for a month, if it doesn't get eaten first.

Good luck!
  • doneatfour
    Options
    Interesting. Thank you. I didn't know that progesterone was an appetite stimulant and the serotonin release. Makes me feel much better about my week. :smile:
  • doneatfour
    Options
    I love nutella too!
    If you have a really good food processor, you can make homemade low carb Nutella using hazelnuts from the grocery store. Buy a bag of plain hazelnuts, place on a baking sheet and roast at 350 f until lightly golden. Then add to the food processor with about a quarter cup unsweetened almond milk, a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder and a tablespoon of stevia or Splenda. Then process until smooth. This keeps in a sealed container in the fridge for a month, if it doesn't get eaten first.

Good luck!

That sounds great! I'll have to try it. What do you have it on?
  • BlessedWith3
    Options
    Nutella is my crack.
  • doneatfour
    Options
    LOL. I told my friend it was my gateway drug. I just start craving more and more carbs.
  • BlessedWith3
    Options
    I am 47 years old and I bought Nutella for the first time this past year at the request of my kids. I gave them a serving with some apples. The next day the boys asked for it again as a snack and I had to hang my head in shame...there was no more Nutella. Since then, I have tried to bring it into the house with the same results. I swear I feel a magnetic pull from the jar, through the cupboard, to me.
  • p0werchic
    p0werchic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow, and here I'm thinking I'm the only one who imposes a complete ban on Nutella in my house so I don't end up eating the whole jar. That recipe sounds really good, going to try it for sure.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    WOW!! I love Nutella. I haven't touched it in over 9 months. Can't have it in the house. THANK YOU FOR THE RECIPE. I will be making that soon, very soon.
  • Hummingbird82
    Hummingbird82 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    That recipe sounds awesome and delicious and dare I say it good for you! Gotta try for sure!
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I put it in my low carb crepes, the crepe is made with a tsp of Atkins baking mix, one egg, and a bit of cream. I fry it in a small pan with a teeny bit of butter, then a smear of the no-tella, and roll it up, it's very good. One crepe fills me up for breakfast, with black coffee on the side too. Something about sweets...
  • doneatfour
    Options
    I put it in my low carb crepes, the crepe is made with a tsp of Atkins baking mix, one egg, and a bit of cream. I fry it in a small pan with a teeny bit of butter, then a smear of the no-tella, and roll it up, it's very good. One crepe fills me up for breakfast, with black coffee on the side too. Something about sweets...

Oh my gosh! I love Crepes with Nutella. I tried making almond flour Crepes but that was a disaster. Thanks for the ideas.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I used to love Nutella, too. I know I can't have it around the house at all or it will disappear into my tummy. Now I keep bars of dark chocolate stashed for those chocolate cravings--I like Green & Black's 85% Dark. Sometimes i have a few squares of that and an almond or two at the same time. I find it very satisfying, and much easier to keep to a reasonable portion that way. There is just no way I could eat Nutella reasonably.
  • garyobesedeleted
    garyobesedeleted Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    do six weeks to omg
  • hayleykateldn
    Options
    When something we desire is in front of us it takes HUGE amounts of willpower not to justify to ourselves that having a little ‘taste’ won’t hurt.
    I find this hardest if I’m preparing my boyfriend’s dinner. The other night, I had a perfectly low-carb dinner but ended up picking about a dozen wedges from the baking tray. Knocked me completely off track.
    I keep a stock of Atkins bars (my fave being the Chocolate Coconut bar) & allow myself half the bar (I leave the other half in my work drawer) this way I feel like I'm getting a little treat.