Introduductions, and goal

Options
daniat
daniat Posts: 123 Member
Hi and Welcome! Let's get to know each other so we can work together to release out inner hot momma!

My name is Tania. I am a 45 year old mom and wife. I would love to eat the things that my husband and daughter do, but I have come to admit that it does not work for me. After eating sushi and having my butt kicked by Jillian Michaels and having the scale not budge, I am ready to start over.

My body releases fat at the best rate when I consume very limited amounts of carbs.
I've got several books for guidance but would love to speak to other women in the same situation. I am aiming for under 30 grams of carbs per day with 90 grams of protein and the rest in fats. Had my first bulletproof coffee!

My big problem is that I am a taster. My daughter is a typical kid who likes pasta, mashed potatoes, etc. Now she has developed a love for baking! A fun activity to do with your child, but a mine field for a low carbing mom.:ohwell:

Replies

• dc729
    dc729 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    On my way to work....so I'll come back later for my introduction. Just wanted to share this cookie recipe with you quickly. These cookies are awesome!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/magical-peanut-butter-cookies-recipe/index.html?rsrc=search
  • GamGam911
    Options
    Hello!

My name is Judy. I'm a 48 year old wife, mother of three, and grandma of one. I was 340 at my top weight and 148 at my low weight. I'm 174 right now. I too have found that low carb works best for me, but I find it can be difficult to stay on target while trying to live in the real world. My main focus right now is finding a way to help my 11 year old son get some weight off. He shares my love of sugar and bread.

So thankful that you've started this group!

Judy
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm Rhonda, a 53-year-old mother of triplet sons, the grandmother of a boy and girl - soon to add a second daughter-in-law to the family. I'm a stress eater and a taster - great combo, right? I have 2 college graduations this year, one starting his masters still living at home, another moving out in April and getting married in May, and an 80-year-old mother with health issues....

Okay, enough about my stress. I weighed 226 pounds at my heaviest, which was a few years ago. I've been on every diet on the planet, diet pills, supplements, Weight Watchers about 1000 times, Nutrisystem - you name it. It's been hard living in a house of testosterone because the guys can sure put away the food (and not show for it). Low carb is the only thing that has EVER worked for me. Right now, I'm focusing on good quality protein, healthy fats (including coconut oil in my coffee every morning), and non-processed foods. I don't always succeed at making the right choices, but I'm trying.

It was much easier losing weight in my 30's than my 50's! I lose at a snail's pace now, but I can live with that. I would love to lose a few pounds for my son's wedding and my goal is to be under 200 by then. That's only 8 pounds in 2 months - surely I can do that! This forum has been really helpful to me. I appreciate you all!
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Kathryn. I have been married for 20 years and have 3 children ages 20, 16 and 14.

I never thought I would have to try and lose weight because I spent so much time trying to gain it! Even after 3 children I would sometimes have to hit the kids section to find shorts for me, I could actually wear a girls 14/16! But in my mid 30's something shifted in my hormones and I put on 70 pounds in about 3 years. At first I was thrilled to no longer be so underweight and was really comfortable at around 140, unfortunately the weight didn't stop and I went up to 175. I was so devastated...that is 20 pounds heavier than I was at 9 months pregnant with a 10 pound baby! LOL How things had changed!

At any rate, we did find out I have a serious gluten allergy and once you weed all that garbage out of your diet, you might as well give low carb a try, right? Well, it works for me, I just have a problem sticking with it. I get tired of being in the kitchen so much especially on the weekends. But hopefully this group will give me the incentive and accountability I need. My family is supportive and if they want to eat something other than what I cook, they don't mind making it themselves.

So here we go! I currently weigh 168 pounds and would like to see how I look at around 150. I don't have a specific weight I need to be it just depends on how I look to ME :)

Looking forward to meeting you all and offering encouragement!
  • daniat
    Options
    Hi and Welcome! Let's get to know each other so we can work together to release out inner hot momma!

I am a 45 year old mom and wife. I would love to eat the things that my husband and daughter do, but I have come to admit that it does not work for me. After eating sushi and having my butt kicked by Jillian Michaels and having the scale not budge, I am ready to start over.

My body releases fat at the best rate when I consume very limited amounts of carbs.
    I've got several books for guidance but would love to speak to other women in the same situation. I am aiming for under 30 grams of carbs per day with 90 grams of protein and the rest in fats. Had my first bulletproof coffee!

My big problem is that I am a taster. My daughter is a typical kid who likes pasta, mashed potatoes, etc. Now she has developed a love for baking! A fun activity to do with your child, but a mine field for a low carbing mom.:ohwell:

Thanks dc! These sound yummy!
  • daniat
    Options
    Hello!

My name is Judy. I'm a 48 year old wife, mother of three, and grandma of one. I was 340 at my top weight and 148 at my low weight. I'm 174 right now. I too have found that low carb works best for me, but I find it can be difficult to stay on target while trying to live in the real world. My main focus right now is finding a way to help my 11 year old son get some weight off. He shares my love of sugar and bread.

So thankful that you've started this group!
    Judy

Hi Judy.
    Welcome. Congratulations on your weight loss. Fantastic job. You're right it can be very difficult-lets hope we can keep each other on track. Good for you for realizing that you need to adjust your son's diet. It is so much easier to get back on track when they are young. I recently cut out sweets for my daughter-except on the weekends. I am trying to teach her to make healthy choices from now so she hopefully does not end up where I am.
  • daniat
    Options
    Hi all! I'm Rhonda, a 53-year-old mother of triplet sons, the grandmother of a boy and girl - soon to add a second daughter-in-law to the family. I'm a stress eater and a taster - great combo, right? I have 2 college graduations this year, one starting his masters still living at home, another moving out in April and getting married in May, and an 80-year-old mother with health issues....

Okay, enough about my stress. I weighed 226 pounds at my heaviest, which was a few years ago. I've been on every diet on the planet, diet pills, supplements, Weight Watchers about 1000 times, Nutrisystem - you name it. It's been hard living in a house of testosterone because the guys can sure put away the food (and not show for it). Low carb is the only thing that has EVER worked for me. Right now, I'm focusing on good quality protein, healthy fats (including coconut oil in my coffee every morning), and non-processed foods. I don't always succeed at making the right choices, but I'm trying.

It was much easier losing weight in my 30's than my 50's! I lose at a snail's pace now, but I can live with that. I would love to lose a few pounds for my son's wedding and my goal is to be under 200 by then. That's only 8 pounds in 2 months - surely I can do that! This forum has been really helpful to me. I appreciate you all!

Welcome Rhonda. You have a lot going on! I am also a stress eater. My gosh, do I relate with the slowed weight loss! I'm sure you'll be able to make your goal in time for your son's wedding. Are you having bulletproof coffee or just coffee with coconut milk?
  • daniat
    Options
    Hello, my name is Kathryn. I have been married for 20 years and have 3 children ages 20, 16 and 14.

I never thought I would have to try and lose weight because I spent so much time trying to gain it! Even after 3 children I would sometimes have to hit the kids section to find shorts for me, I could actually wear a girls 14/16! But in my mid 30's something shifted in my hormones and I put on 70 pounds in about 3 years. At first I was thrilled to no longer be so underweight and was really comfortable at around 140, unfortunately the weight didn't stop and I went up to 175. I was so devastated...that is 20 pounds heavier than I was at 9 months pregnant with a 10 pound baby! LOL How things had changed!

At any rate, we did find out I have a serious gluten allergy and once you weed all that garbage out of your diet, you might as well give low carb a try, right? Well, it works for me, I just have a problem sticking with it. I get tired of being in the kitchen so much especially on the weekends. But hopefully this group will give me the incentive and accountability I need. My family is supportive and if they want to eat something other than what I cook, they don't mind making it themselves.

So here we go! I currently weigh 168 pounds and would like to see how I look at around 150. I don't have a specific weight I need to be it just depends on how I look to ME :)

Looking forward to meeting you all and offering encouragement!

Welcome Kathryn,

I'm sure you will be able to make it. Maybe we should have a thread with easy recipes.
  • dc729
    Options
    Hi. My name is Debbie. I'm a mother of 6 children. Three are adults, 11 year old twins and a 4 year old. I'm also a grandma (Mimi) of 3. I have been on MFP since September 27th. I started low carb the Friday after thanksgiving this past year. I'm finding low carb is what works best for me. I'm almost half way to my weight loss goal.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I am Bonnie. I joined MFP in June of 2011, but closed my account, missed it and joined again in 2012. I felt I could handle things better my second time around.

I can count calories all I want, but if I am going to eat sugars and starches, I wont have much success. I keep telling myself, I know this, don't try to change things, its not going to work. But I keep trying to count calories so I can have my sugar, pasta, bread - you know the list.

This is Tuesday night, I'm giving this another go tomorrow. I think with support, I can make it all the way again. I know low carbing works, I've done it hundreds of times:laugh:
  • bonniecarbs
    Options
    Half of my first day of cutting my crappy carbs has passed.
  • dc729
    Options
    You are so funny, Bonnie! Just remember how energetic you are going to feel after the first 3 days! :) You can do this, my friend!
  • bonniecarbs
    Options
    Hellow, is anyone on board?
  • bonniecarbs
    Options
    Thanks Debbie, I'm like the choo choo - i think i can
  • dc729
    Options
    I'm here, Bonnie! I just got home. I volunteer at my girls' school every other Thursday. They have a bingo fund raiser. I start early in the day and set it up. Usually I'm home by 5 PM but today......no volunteers showed up! So.....I stayed all day and all night! I'm pooped now, so it's off to bed. Hope you all had a good day!
  • Thyme4change
    Thyme4change Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I have been looking through different low carb groups and you guys seem to be the fun and friendly..

I am 48, married for 27 years, three kids+a daughter in law and they all live in our house/basement :) I had never really excersised and now it has become something I miss if I don't. I am far from perfect in my plan to exercise and food. But neither is life and I want to live it and enjoy it :) I love to experiment with recipes, menues and try new things.

I started low carbs last March after I realized counting calories wasn't going to do it anymore. After I got through the carb crazies I was hooked and knew this was a life style change forever and always :) In sep last year I got sick of tracking after tracking my food for 4 years. Well after a few mths I got off LC life plan by January this year I gains 15 lb of the 20 or so that I lost. I am back to low carb'ing and love it just as much as the first time.

Kim
  • daniat
    Options
    Hi Bonnie,

Hope the day went well and that you made it like the little engine! Feel free to add me if you'd like encouragement throughout the day.
  • daniat
    Options
    What a busy woman you are Debbie! All that and still finding time to meet your goals. Very impressive! :-)
  • daniat
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I have been looking through different low carb groups and you guys seem to be the fun and friendly..

I am 48, married for 27 years, three kids+a daughter in law and they all live in our house/basement :) I had never really excersised and now it has become something I miss if I don't. I am far from perfect in my plan to exercise and food. But neither is life and I want to live it and enjoy it :) I love to experiment with recipes, menues and try new things.

I started low carbs last March after I realized counting calories wasn't going to do it anymore. After I got through the carb crazies I was hooked and knew this was a life style change forever and always :) In sep last year I got sick of tracking after tracking my food for 4 years. Well after a few mths I got off LC life plan by January this year I gains 15 lb of the 20 or so that I lost. I am back to low carb'ing and love it just as much as the first time.

Kim

Hi Kim,
    Welcome! Hope we'll all be able to get to our goals together. I totally agree with you many of us at a certain age need to do more than count calories. I had the same thing. After the mid-30's our metabolism just does it's own thing and the cookie cutter just does not work for many us anymore.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, my name is Michelle. I am a 32 year old mother of three (my kids live with their dad). I also have 4 pseudo-kids (my dogs), one being a 4-week old puppy. This pretty much keeps me on my toes.

I've come to realize, especially in the last year, that I cannot eat whatever I want, calorie count, and lose weight. In fact, I gained more counting calories than I did before. Wow. So, about 10 years ago, I had awesome success with Atkins. I lost something like 40 pounds in 3 months, and just didn't stick with it. I figured I'd give it a go again. Started out on Atkins induction, but I am now modifying it. I do my very bestest to stay under 100g of carbs, and I only try to get the majority of those from fruit and veggies. I do love my coffee in the morning, so I have a few junk carbs there, but it works for me :)

I've lost 31 pounds so far, and I still have about 47ish to go (I think I did the math right). I started this journey in October of 2012 at my highest weight of 218, and I am aiming for a healthy 140.