tsh and t4 numbers

Options
Ok ive been hypothyroid forc19 years and my levothyroxine was increased in aug to 175 as i was feeling v poorly.

Results of recent tes

Serum tsh 0.08 waz 4 in aug
serum free t4 23.0 never been tested before

does this mean overmedicating?

I am v reluctant to decrease as i felt so ill.

Any help?

Replies

• Huppmanj
    Huppmanj Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This is something you should discuss with your Dr. My endocrinologist sets level goals for me, however, if I tell him I am not feeling well he has always upped my medication. I am currently on 200 and feel great! My TSH level is still in the 3-4 range though. If you have recently gained/loss a large amount of weight it is likely that your medication will need adjused. Also pregnancy will affect this level. Aside from that, if you feel good, I really wouldn't worry about it unless you Dr. gives you reason for concern.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    That free T4 is just above the normal range, so depending on how you're feeling you may or may not be (slightly) overmedicated.

Has your doctor ever tested your free T3? When I was on T4-only meds I needed my free T4 REALLY high to get my free T3 high enough, because my body wasn't able to convert the synthetic T4 into T3.

Sometimes supplementing with vitamins and minerals used in the conversion process is enough - selenium, zinc, Vit B12, etc.

However, I would urge you to get your free T3 tested to see if you need to add T3 in pill form (either synthetic T3, or a combo T3/T4 med).
  • sharonmunday90
    sharonmunday90 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Well i went to my gp as i still dont feel 100%. Well whatever 100% is. :-)

When i spoke with my gp last week she said that the labs make the decisions to test t4 or t3 based on results. i havexa phonecall with her tomorrow so i will ask.

Thankyou everyone x its good to other opinions x
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    cytomel added to the regime will replace T3. I suggest you talk to your doc about adding it and reducing your levo dose. I found that when I take cytomel in the A.M. and then about 1 P.M. I have a lot more energy, feel better and do not take two hour naps in the afternoon.
  • sharonmunday90
    Options
    Thankyou. i will certainly see what she says tomorrow. im not holding my breath though. The uk sucks if you are hypothyroid :-(
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    Thankyou. i will certainly see what she says tomorrow. im not holding my breath though. The uk sucks if you are hypothyroid :-(

I have heard that. :( I honestly doubt she'll even discuss a synthetic T3 (in the US it's cytomel, not sure what the brand name is in the UK).

If she won't, then look at supplementing with selenium, zinc, iron and copper and see if that helps you feel better.
  • ginnylee75
    ginnylee75 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ok ive been hypothyroid forc19 years and my levothyroxine was increased in aug to 175 as i was feeling v poorly.

Results of recent tes

Serum tsh 0.08 waz 4 in aug
    serum free t4 23.0 never been tested before

does this mean overmedicating?

I am v reluctant to decrease as i felt so ill.

Any help?

I am on Armour which is T4 plus T3. (That is a desiccated Thyroid from pigs thyroid. Natural not chemical thyroid) I was still feeling poorly so my Endo gave me Cytomel. He didn't want to increase my T4. Cytomel is T3 only. Since that increase of T3 and not an increase in the T4 I am feeling so much better. As Shivits said, Check with your doctor. :drinker:

Wish you luck.

Ginny:flowerforyou:
  • sharonmunday90
    Options
    Well spoke to my gp and she said the figures arent too high and shes not concerned and to see what happens over time. hmph
  • sharonmunday90
    Options

I have heard that. :( I honestly doubt she'll even discuss a synthetic T3 (in the US it's cytomel, not sure what the brand name is in the UK).

If she won't, then look at supplementing with selenium, zinc, iron and copper and see if that helps you feel better.

how much of each should i take or can you but in a on supplement?
  • islandmonkey
    Options

how much of each should i take or can you but in a on supplement?
    [/quote]

I can't advise you on how much to take, but can tell you how much my doctor advised me to take daily - I would still confirm with your physican that those levels are ok for you before start them.
    -Selenium 200 mcg (I have 100 in my multi so take an additional 100)
    -Copper 2mg
    -Zinc 30 mg
  • sharonmunday90
    Options
    Thankyou. i will speak with my gp and my nutritinist x