Am I doing this right?

Options
misskym
misskym Posts: 52 Member
I started on MFP/calorie counting on January 11th using MFP's 1200 cal/day goal. I ate 1200 calories, plus all of my exercise calories, for 2 weeks. I worked out any where from 5-7 days a week, and I lost 6lbs. I sprained (grade 2)/fractured my ankle on Jan 26th, and have since put exercise on the back burner because my ankle is still not healed. I started EM2WL the weekend I sprained my ankle, but I didn't do a reset. I started increasing my calories to get to TDEE-20% (light active), but primarily ate between 1520-1600 calories. I haven't lost any weight since injuring my ankle, but I've lost 0.50 inches from my hips and waist. My weight has fluctuated from 169.8-170.5 - just a few ounces back and forth.

I've decided to do a reset and find my TDEE. I'm lightly active (with the kids and working 12hrs twice a week with plenty of walking), so by Scooby and Fat 2 Fit's calculators, my TDEE is approximately 2146. I increased my cals by a 100 or so the first few days, and now I'm eating between 2000-2146. I ate closer to 2146 yesterday and found that I was hungrier in between meals than I was when I ate 1500-1700 cals. Is that to be expected? I think I was thrown off by my hunger yesterday.

I've only been doing the reset for a few days, so I haven't weighed myself to see if I've remained steady or gained. I figured I'd eat 2146 cals for two weeks, then weigh myself to make any TDEE adjustments based on any weigh gain or loss.

Does it seem like I need adjustments? Am I headed down the right path?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Sounds like right path for figuring it out.

But - if you plan on getting back into more exercise, knowing your current TDEE won't be useful then.

I'd actually suggest a block amount of calorie deficit that is close to 10-15% of what you think current TDEE is. Be that 250 maybe or less.

Track the weight loss and confirm it matches what should be happening. That will by confirm what real TDEE is for that level of exercise. Won't be useful later on, but still, you got the idea worked out now.
    Plus being on minor deficit this whole time will help metabolism.

Then when your real exercise level can be done, go on real reset which won't have to last as long, mainly just finding out what real TDEE is.

Hunger may be from metabolism.
    May be from problem that your meals and snacks aren't the same ratio of carbs to protein to fat meaning maybe more carbs sets off worse insulin response, leaving you with low blood sugar, feeling hungry.
    Then again, just eating more in one sitting does increase insulin response too.
  • misskym
    misskym Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you, heybales!

I think I will try 10% of what I think my TDEE is right now until I can get back into my exercise routine, then I will do as you suggest and start my reset then.

I have a hard time hitting my protein. When I ate 1500-1600 calories, I didn't pay much attention to my protein macro in terms of making sure I hit it every day. Now that I'm trying to get more protein in my diet, I'm watching that more closely and trying to eat more often (every 2-3 hour snacks with slightly larger meals) as best I can. But I'm hungrier!
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Thank you, heybales!

I think I will try 10% of what I think my TDEE is right now until I can get back into my exercise routine, then I will do as you suggest and start my reset then.

I have a hard time hitting my protein. When I ate 1500-1600 calories, I didn't pay much attention to my protein macro in terms of making sure I hit it every day. Now that I'm trying to get more protein in my diet, I'm watching that more closely and trying to eat more often (every 2-3 hour snacks with slightly larger meals) as best I can. But I'm hungrier!

Protein powder can help with you protein goals. Two scoops of mine in my smoothie with frozen bananas and strawberries gives me 48 grams of protein at 250 calories ( less the banana and strawberries ).