nuts!!!

Options
jennaworksout
jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
I eat ALOT of nuts, ....almonds, walnuts, pistachios, sunflower seeds, etc, as long as I stay within my calories is this still ok? my macros aren't too out of whack on my fat either, usually around where it should be...just worried I eat too many nuts .

Replies

• Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Hmm... Well, none that I can think of - as long as you stick within your calorie goal, ie, are correctly measuring your intake of them, then sure, they should be fine. I wouldn't get a bulk of my calories from them, myself, more of a whole meal kinda guy.

There may be some PUFA, Omega 6's stuff or something or rather that someone else might/can share, I don't know too much about that and nuts (except macadamias have the least). IMO... Maybe replace some of the nuts with dark chocolate. :P
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you mean by 'lots'. While nuts are generally healthy in moderate amounts, there are things to keep in mind:

- most nuts are high in Omega 6s, and trying to lower that is a prime focus of paleo/primal eating.
    - roasting nuts oxidizes their fats, making them less healthy. Eat raw nuts if possible.
    - salted nuts can add unhealthy amounts of sodium. Eat unsalted nuts if possible.
    - if you are prone to arthritis, almonds can aggravate that.

Here's an article that will tell you pretty much everything you need to know:
    http://chriskresser.com/another-reason-you-shouldnt-go-nuts-on-nuts
  • jennaworksout
    Options
    i wouldn't say I eat bags a day, but 1/4 cup walnuts...and 1/4 cup almonds a day probably...my fats are on par, and I am usually within my calorie goal...not prone to arthritis...so I guess I'mm looking for cons of eating too many, and they are all raw, not roasted...and not every day do I go crazy eating them......every other day I will eat quite a bit if nuts, they are so easy to grab on the go
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't say I eat bags a day, but 1/4 cup walnuts...and 1/4 cup almonds a day probably...my fats are on par, and I am usually within my calorie goal...not prone to arthritis...so I guess I'mm looking for cons of eating too many, and they are all raw, not roasted...and not every day do I go crazy eating them......every other day I will eat quite a bit if nuts, they are so easy to grab on the go

Half a cup a day isn't too much - as long as you are doing well on Omega 3s to help balance it. I love my pistachios, and can go thru a cup or more in one sitting - which means I have to really watch when I eat them. :)
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Main "con" with nuts is if you're eating enough to get too much fat, which sounds like you aren't.

Some nuts have a lot more fat than others.. Cashews are pretty fatty compared to Almonds for example. Cashews are still fine just have a smaller serving of the higher fat nuts.

Personally, I avoid pistachios because they're processed with so much salt and test high for mold content.

It also helps if the nuts are raw and in their natural form, rather than toasted roasted salted or otherwise processed.
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    From NicoWoodruff:
    Main "con" with nuts is if you're eating enough to get too much fat

Extra-wrong, unless you're specifying too many omega-6s, like monkeydharma does:
    I don't know what you mean by 'lots'. While nuts are generally healthy in moderate amounts, there are things to keep in mind:

- most nuts are high in Omega 6s, and trying to lower that is a prime focus of paleo/primal eating.
    - roasting nuts oxidizes their fats, making them less healthy. Eat raw nuts if possible.
    - salted nuts can add unhealthy amounts of sodium. Eat unsalted nuts if possible.
    - if you are prone to arthritis, almonds can aggravate that.

Here's an article that will tell you pretty much everything you need to know:
    http://chriskresser.com/another-reason-you-shouldnt-go-nuts-on-nuts

Spot on!
  • jennaworksout
    Options
    thanks, sounds like I am ok eating themthe way I am!!