Choosing a food plan...

Options
I've only been going to OA for about two weeks. I hated the first couple of meetings I tried but luckily found one I liked this Sunday. I am struggling to figure out what I think my "abstinence" plan should be. I know for sure I don't want the HOW-type plan. I have been contemplating cutting out sugar. I don't crave it as often but when I do eat it I always binge. It makes sense to cut it out, but I feel like the "never eating it again" thing is getting to me. I binged a lot more than usual this week because I kept feeling like I had to eat whatever treats I wanted "one last time." I know the motto is "just for today" but I can't just ignore the fact that it's not actually "just for today"...

My ultimate goal would be to be able to eat everything in moderation. However, I've been on here for about a year and a half now and I just keep gaining and losing the same 10 pounds because I eat "in moderation" for awhile and then just start binging again. I have been thinking a lot about true "addiction" and how a drink will never be "just a drink" for an alcoholic, and perhaps sugar is the same for me. I thought maybe with the extra support I could make my "moderation" plan work, but I am also good at "gaming" the mfp system (if I only eat 200 calories for lunch, I can have 1000 calories of dessert for "dinner!")

Also, what else do you do besides cut out sugar? Snacking/grazing is not a huge problem for me nor is flour (never binged on grains/bread/etc.) Just that and stay within your mfp goals?

Replies

• ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    the best way to choose/design your foodplan in OA is:

--talk to a sponsor and other OA members
    --write a list of your compulsive eating history (what has worked, what hasn't)
    --write a list of trigger foods (ex: sugar, potato chips...u maybe have these, or different ones)
    --take it one day at a time.

you can read my food plan on my profile page. been in OA since 2005, and have learned what works for me (lost 65 pounds in OA early on, maintained for a while, relapsed, and now abstaining again). my page lists "what works for me"

in a nutshell, my abstinence is:
    --no sugar, or processed junk foods, no white flour
    --3 meals and 2-3 snacks
    --tons of fruit and veggies
    --no binging, grazing mindlessly, starving, etc
  • Lynn_is_happy
    Lynn_is_happy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I can't eat certain foods in moderation I had to make a list and sugar and white flour was on the top of my no-no list as my sponsor calls it. When I came into OA ten years ago, I was questioning the one day at a time philosophy and the I will never eat this stuff again too. I was not READY or WILLING to work the OA program. It is not a bad thing but I had to go out there and try to control my eating but what I didn't realize was that I have a disease and when I eat something and it triggers a eat as much as possible response or it gives me an emotional charge, then that is a food I need to avoid regardless. When I came into OA in August, I had hit a bottom and I was willing to give up those foods one day at a time. I was in so much pain and frankly was tired of the yo-yo dieting and all the diet fads out there. It didn't work because I have a food addiction. I read the pamphlet, Dignity of Choice which gives you a food plan and I talk with a dietician to confirm what I should and should not be eating. And, you know what-I am a lot happier not eating that stuff that I thought would make me feel good. It is not worth it. Be honest with yourself-are you ready to put down those foods and join the fellowship because I can promise you a better way to live that is free from emotional eating. I wish you lots of success in whatever you choose. We admitted we were powerless over food and our lives have become unmanageable. My life was an emotional mess and it was because I hid behind food to make me feel good. It made me feel like ****. I can see how my life was a mess and that I needed the rooms of OA to help me. I then learned to believe in a power greater than myself and I do believe that whatever is really working in my life and carrying me through hard times. The friendships in the rooms are remarkable and I appreciate everyone who shares. It is a gift to let go and have you all help me through. I hope this helps? Thanks for sharing, it was what I needed tonight.
  • kamuas
    kamuas Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    the great thing about the OA program is that you don't have to put it on yourself that you're never going to eat a snickers again. i know it's been holding me back as well, and i know how you feel. but if you truly work the program, then you ask your HP to give you the willingness to abstain from that food "for today" and you don't think of "never ever".... you lean on your sponsor and your support system when things are hard. i'm trying to develop my own food plan at the moment as well, and trying to determine what my triggers are and what abstinance means for me. good luck on your journey!!!
  • vatblack
    vatblack Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have found a way that is helpful to me most of the time. Unlike many of the members of OA and people here, I really struggle with the "never ever" again. I am one of those slow learners that get into it over time and not immediately. So, my progress is much slower but no less valuable!

I found out I was allergic to diary products, so in conjunction with a good food plan, I decided to let go of as many diary products I could. It works great for a while and then I'd binge. Works for a while and then I binge. What I have found is that, indeed, I'm powerless when it comes to restricting food. Food restriction is my TRIGGER. You will find that many people in OA talk about their triggers and I had to make peace with the fact that restricting food is my trigger.

Therefore, I've made a list of foods that I'd normally restrict. For me it is fast food, diary, and all sorts of salty snacks. I know those foods I cannot eat without control. So, I avoid them, but when I get that overwhelming urge and I fail to curb it, I try not to think it will be the last time so I have to eat as much as I can. I tell myself: "This isn't good for you. You know you are going to eat much more than it healthy for you. It is going to slow down your progress. It's probably going to make you feel physically sick." But I'd eat it anyway. I am honest about it and record it on here. Many times it shoots me over my calorie count. I cannot claim abstinence for that day. But I don't beat myself up about it anymore. I'm not losing the weight either. So, I'm taking responsibility and acknowledging the cause of eating the food and the effect it has. But I don't judge myself as a failure or a weak person or beat myself up about it anymore.

OA, for me, brought me to a place of self acceptance even if that means being big for now. I do find that more and more days I am being abstinent and more and more days I make good choices just because I do not want to deal with the calorie overload and I don't want to deal with the physical sluggishness the food brings. If I beat myself up about what I eat, I eat more. If I look at it objectively like a mathematical equation, it removes the shame and blame and the bad feelings and I'm left with a simple choice.

I am free to do whatever I choose. I have a choice. So, yes, I powerless in the face of these items, however, I can CHOOSE not to get overwhelmed - but if I do, I can choose to forgive myself and move on - without binging.

For me, choice, is important.
  • Terri_Wickwire
    Terri_Wickwire Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hi -- I've sent a couple of Friend Requests "out there" as I am a "retread" just returning to OA after a 15+ year absence. Today I've been using the tool of Writing and am in the process of defining my Plan of Eating and Abstinence. Damn, it's enough to make me want to run screaming into the street. I was in OA before for 6 years (90-96) and had a lot of recovery on the emotional, spiritual and physical level. Many things in my life have changed -- obviously -- the most of which is I've been able to stay below my highest weight, but I am angry so much of the time. And anger fuels a desire to eat. Stuff down the feelings.

I've found a group that I love on Saturday mornings, but just realized that every Saturday in March I have events scheduled for my business -- so I am currently formulating a plan of action to keep my sanity during that time, and find a new meeting to check in with weekly.

I'm really glad there is a group here on MFP that understands the OA concepts. I looked on Facebook but was unable to find anything -- plus remaining anonymous on FB is next to impossible. Here there is more a sense of community and an online meeting. So, thank you all for being here. I look forward to connecting. <3
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    PtownMama, thanks for the friend request:flowerforyou:

I am newly abstinent and have been on and off “my plan” for the past few years. I haven’t found a meeting that I truly love, so I don’t go as frequent as I should. However, I’ve been working on the steps with my sponsor and realizing a whole new set of challenges than the last time, which was almost 4 years ago.

I’m glad that you are all here!
  • Terri_Wickwire
    Options
    So a few days ago I started writing out my food plan, and yesterday received my OA workbook; coincidentally, I didn't log my food, made trigger choices and am in a state of unwillingness today. That whole "turn it over to HP" thing just really pisses me off sometimes. BUT, today I'm logging. I have a lunch date with a friend and KNOW that I can make a choice that won't put me back on the insanity track. I think a part of what's under the surface is that I have events booked for the next four Saturdays for my business, and my Home Meeting is on Saturday mornings. Baby steps ...
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Ptown, I totally hear the "turn it over" struggle. The mere fact that I use the word struggle is all I really have to say, right. When I catch myself struggling I have to say "surrender (the term works for me), surrender, surrender" over and over again. I wonder if it's worth a little planning for your Saturdays. Do you need to set an intention here, post in the morning before you head out, repeat a step of particular relevance out loud (in typecast :)). What would help?
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    p.s. Also just want to acknowledg that I know tomorrow is a Saturday. Deep breath!
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Wow, sometimes the higher power speaks to me and this is it.....

I'm really struggling with a food plan. I'm losing and gaining the same 3 pounds and I'm working my heinie off in the gym, so I'm frustrated. But I am hearing you all loud and clear today and I need to start with my triggers.

Thanks for this thread!

Jen
  • Terri_Wickwire
    Options
    I LOVE the LOVE that flows from OA -- don't care if it's at the end of a keyboard or a physical connection. I am so blessed and grateful that I finally was willing to return. It's really amazing -- although there IS a place in me that is totally pissed off that I "have to" return. Damn -- can't I just be "normal"??? Well, the obvious answer to that is NO. I am NOT normal, in the way that other people that don't have food issues are "normal". Duh. Let's see, I was in OA from 90-96, and just returned after 16 years. And while there are many things in my life today that are sooooo way much mo'better than it was when I left, there is a LOT that is not so good. And I would have to put food compulsion at the top of the "it sucks" list.

Food plan ... I started clarifying that on February 24th. Started -- and binged. One thing I am clear on -- I have to love myself through the process of figuring it out. Yeah, I know there are certain foods that when they are not a part of my insanity I live my life in sanity. And that is good. And, after this morning's meeting, I have a willingness to be sane. But there is still a place in me that is not happy about it.

The kicker is that my life works SO MUCH BETTER when I am abstinent, working the Steps, working the tools. Like -- a life Aha Moment! <3