feed your tummy

Options
LauraDotts
LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
Just a heads up to all my keto friends.

After being in keto for 9 months I started having a serious problem with constipation. After every meal it felt like I had eaten lead. Went web searching for some answers. Turns out the problem is that I starved out all the good bacteria (flora) in my tummy. That stuff needs some sugar to flourish. So, I ordered a probiotic to restore what was lost and now I am actively adding some more "sugary" food to my diet to feed it. By "sugary" I mean a small portion of sweet potato several times a week a bit of 80-90% dark chocolate with real cane sugar in it, etc. I still keep my carbs low and stay in keto but some of those carbs have a bit more sugar in them.

After only 4-5 days of taking the probiotic my tummy troubles are improving. A much better solution than softeners and stimulants.

Replies

• missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Great info Laura!!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I've started taking Magnesium (specifically Slo-Mag). My regularity has dramatically improved.
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've started taking Magnesium (specifically Slo-Mag). My regularity has dramatically improved.

I just started taking Magnesium because I read that my lethargy after going of Phentermine may be caused by insufficient intake. What a difference! Makes little sense because I eat so much meat that is high in Magnesium. Still, what a difference!
  • LauraDotts
    Options
    I have been taking magnesium from the very beginning of my weight loss. But once the flora was gone that didn't even help.
  • Bill_from_Philly
    Options
    a tablespoon of coconut oil will um grease the wheels so to speak...
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    a tablespoon of coconut oil will um grease the wheels so to speak...

So will green tea. And celery. But I MUST try coconut oil. I've heard such wonderful, wonderful things.
  • LauraDotts
    Options
    Not even the tons of coconut oil I consume helped. LOL!