It Starts With Food...the Whole 30 Book

Options
debilang
debilang Posts: 874 Member
Hi Everyone, my name is Deb, and I have been on MFP going on 415 days. I am proud of this fact, because I never stood still long enough to be a part of anything for very long. A friend of mine on my pal list asked if anyone would be joining her on what she called Whole 9. That got me to searching because I have sooo much respect for her choices, and she was mostly a follower of Primal. I discovered W30 (a nice abbreviation from my new pal Delores), ordered the 30 days of email for $14 something one time fee. I know they mentioned on their site, that the program was free but, I just did not know where to start...sooo it has been well worth it for me. Several days into the program I was on their site logging my food, and one of their moderators befriended me. I am such an impulsive, she called me on the cheese I ate with my omelette. :laugh: It was in a good way, and I told her I would be ordering the book...and then I would "start over". Well, I have the book now. SOOO much information in it that I've "known", but is MUCH more clear to me now. Do many of you have the book? We can share our thoughts and revelations if you want. I figured this would be kinda my blog about my discoveries of W30 way of life. :drinker:

If you have the book, I found Pages 54 through half of 61 sooo eye opening. It describes a GOOD day, a BAD day...WHY...(if we are not doing W30 now), a few thought provoking questions were asked.

For instance:
1) Why do I crave sweets?
2) Why can't I lose weight, even when I am eating less?
3) Why do I get that 3 oclock slump every afternoon?
4) Why do I wake up at 2 and 3am every night?
5) Why do I get so cranky if I don't eat every 2 hours?
6) Where did this spare tire come from - when I eat soo healthy?

Many of these problems are my DH's. I have *got* to get him to eat healthier :embarassed:

Since I am a sugarholic (and I describe a bit in my Intro in the Welcome thread)...I went on a 30 day processed Sugar free way of eating that lasted 59 days. I felt AMAZING! At that time I continued to eat grains, but it was limited cause he also promote W30 (in a way), and my allergies went away. When I reverted, my allergies came back...and it took this long to *again* do something about it. I've yo yo'd all my life, I was "skinny fat", and I had a heart attack in 2009. My first grandchild was born on June 13, 2010. When my daughter said she was pregnant, I KNEW I had to get myself straight, cause I want to live into my 90's...as HEALTHY mentally and physically as possible. I have two grandkids now. They are 32 months and 13 months...and I have soooo much fun with them and my granddog. I take ALL of them for nice walks to the park...and get a LOT of exercise running around with them.

I am grateful for this forum. Thanks so much. Hope you will also share your thoughts about W30. Does anyone drink Chai Soy Latte's? I know the sugar content is high, and if I have it has a treat, I usually leave it as its own meal, because I am not usually hungry. I gave up coffee when I decided to DETOX...and now I am finding that Whole 30...is a grrreat way of detoxing, as well.

Thanks for listening :flowerforyou:

Deb:heart:

Replies

• LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 9. Going pretty good. My biggest struggle is planning and on a lesser level, cooking. I kinda wish I would have bought the book, still might. I definitely need to expand my food options but overall I like the program so far.

I haven't weighed myself - following the rules, I put the scale in the closet, lol but my clothes are already looser.
  • bump040510
    Options
    This is my 10th day on W30. No book here either. I'm feeling great though! I'm a bit of a research junkie, so I think I have read just about everything I can online about W30. Who knows, I might end up picking up the book.

Chai Latte's were my ULTIMATE favorite thing, but soy or not, I'm off them along with all of the other garbage that I was putting into my body. Well I made one with coconut milk the other day, and it was okay, but not something I HAVE to have. I went ahead and put my kettle away, so that I can really focus on drinking more water.
  • debilang
    Options
    I'm on day 9. Going pretty good. My biggest struggle is planning and on a lesser level, cooking. I kinda wish I would have bought the book, still might. I definitely need to expand my food options but overall I like the program so far.

I haven't weighed myself - following the rules, I put the scale in the closet, lol but my clothes are already looser.

Thanks **LB* :flowerforyou: for your input. I guess until I find more reasons to be a purist...I continue to weigh myself daily. I am now at goal weight, so I am happy. YES...PLANNING is everything. Yesterday, I made chili beans, and with the leftover turkey and hamburger, I made a dish with oyster beef sauce (store bought)...it has some sugar, but, for me miniscule compared to the bunches of spinach, carrots, and brocolli I used for this meal. It was SCRUMPTIOUS. I was really getting bored with roasted chicken and steamed veggies...I subscribed to Nom Nom Paleo, and she has some grrreat recipes, that I need to try. (Like cauliflower mashed like potatoes)...I heard about it, but never tried it. I felt a bit sick yesterday, my digestive track being put through the ringer...but today I am fine...Good luck to you...I am on day 19...and I absolutely have to say I feel really good :happy: Thx! Deb
  • debilang
    Options
    This is my 10th day on W30. No book here either. I'm feeling great though! I'm a bit of a research junkie, so I think I have read just about everything I can online about W30. Who knows, I might end up picking up the book.

Chai Latte's were my ULTIMATE favorite thing, but soy or not, I'm off them along with all of the other garbage that I was putting into my body. Well I made one with coconut milk the other day, and it was okay, but not something I HAVE to have. I went ahead and put my kettle away, so that I can really focus on drinking more water.

Thanks for the info **B** on Chai Latte's.:flowerforyou: I haven't had one for about 2 weeks, and glad to have your take on it. I *do* realize the sugar content is high...and *is* a treat, but, I will stay away, and just order regular tazo tea if I go to Starbucks. I drink a lot of tea at home already...but am a gold card member, and something about getting free drinks after buying so many. I think I like the savings part though:happy:

The book is very informative. I just got it because I did not know very much about whole 30. It is well written, but I find myself skipping pages, and now I am at the point of going from page 1 to the end of the book. I have already quoted some of the book in my MFP blogs for my Pals to read. It is a lifestyle for sure. I am on day 19, and I survived an surprise b-day outing and crab feed where there was LOTS of rice, bread, and pasta to go around. My family was supportive, and I survived :drinker: Thanks for your comments :) I will be sharing here what I am reading in the book, cause I just think it is awesome info...terms like "insulin resistance" ...that is a good start :happy: Stay strong...Deb
  • debilang
    Options
    My 20th day on W30. Yesterday, I had an intestinal tract irritation, and ate lightly, but, I feel great today. I truly believe I got rid of the toxins that was stored in my colon, eating so cleanly...so that is a good thought. :happy:

Continuing to read my book, and I am fascinated. The following is a summary of the section - Page 32 - Prime Rib vs Oreos They write:

"The problem [with] foods [that] are supernormally stimulating in the absence of nutrition and satiety [in essence] are empty calories...food with NO BRAKES.

The idea of food brakes can be explained by satiety and satiation...biologically speaking they are two separate and distinct concepts.

Satiety occurs in your digestive tract - specifically, in your intestines. When you've digested and absorbed enough calories and nutrients to satisfy your body's needs, hormones signal to your brain that "I am well nourished now" which decreases your desire for more food. Satiety can't be fooled or faked, as it is dependent on the actual nutrition in your food.

Satiation is regulated in the brain and provides more timely motivation to stop eating. It's based on the taste, smell, and texture of food, the perception of "fullness" even your knowledge of how many calories are in a meal. As you eat, you perceive various sensations ("this is delicious," I shouldn't eat the whole bag", or "I'm getting pretty full",) all of which send your brain status updates to help you determine whether you still want more. But unlike "satiety", satiation is an ESTIMATE dependent on your perceptions, not an absolute measurement."

I personally do not like Prime Rib. The example is given here, however. I consider any protein I eat (hard boiled eggs, roasted chicken, other protein)...in the same example as their example, so you get the difference of eating protein versus processed sugar) I am allergic to chocolate, but LOVE candy, and non chocolate cookies...the same example prevails.

"Prime rib contains complete protein, the most satiating of all the macronutrients, and naturally occuring fat which makes protein even more satiating. As you eat, you will find yourself wanting the prime rib less and less until you no longer desire the flavor or texture of the meat. This is satiation. Also, Prime Rib also takes longer to eat then processed food, which gives your brain a chance to catch up with your stomach.

Oreos are a highly processed food containing almost no protein, saturated with sugar and flavor-enhancing chemicals, and filled with added fats. As we eat the Oreos (generally at a much faster rate than prime rib) they move through us quickly and don't provide enough nutrition to induce satiation or satiety. So unlike prime rib, there are no "brakes" to decrease our want. In the case of Oreos, the only reason to stop eating is when our bellies are physically FULL, and we realize we're about to make ourselves sick from overconsumption. Those aren't brakes at all - just an emergency ejection seat."

Hmmm...I am happy to report that I haven't had to experience Emergency Ejection lately...lol... :drinker:

Til next time :)
  • bump040510
    Options
    Mmmmm Oreos! I stopped buying them a long time ago. Just like the book says...I never know when to stop. I can't eat just a few. They actually call to me all the way from the kitchen cupboard, no matter where I am in my house!
  • debilang
    Options
    Mmmmm Oreos! I stopped buying them a long time ago. Just like the book says...I never know when to stop. I can't eat just a few. They actually call to me all the way from the kitchen cupboard, no matter where I am in my house!

Food with no brakes...what a metaphor :ohwell: Before I discovered I was allergic to any kind of chocolate...oreos were my fave, too!!! I haven't bought them in years...but it was a grreat example :)
  • debilang
    Options
    Day 23 - I am FINALLY under my overall goal, but grateful to have lost a few more pounds because I am working on my BF%. This few paragraphs explain why we crave Sugar (to put it bluntly). I am a Sugarholic...My motto is ONE DAY AT A TIME :happy:

Page: 34 - 35 From my book "It Starts with Food"

Pleasure, Reward, Emotion, and Habit

"Pleasure, reward, and emotion are all interconnected in our brains. Reward circuitry is integrated with parts of the brain that enrich a pleasurable experience with emotion, making it more powerful, and easier to to remember. The combination of pleasure, reward, and emotion pushes you *toward* rewarding stimuli - including food.

The foods in question - *supernormally stimulating WITHOUT adequate nutrition to invoke Satiation. [These foods] tell the brain to release DOPAMINE, a neurotransmitter associated with the pleasure centr. Dopamine MOTIVATES your behavior, reinforces food-seeking (WANTING) and energizes your [choice of] feeding. It gives you that RUSH of ANTICIPATION before you've even taken your first bite. (You're daydreaming at work and start thinking about your favoirte cookie from the downtown bakery)...(For ME, it was doughnuts...OMG). You are visualizing the taste, the smell, the texture. You start to get excited and happy at the thought of picking up cookies on the way home. You WANT those cookies. (That's the DOPAMINE talking")

On the way home, you stop at the bakery, pick up a dozen cookies, and take your first bite before you have even pulled out of the parking lot. (Of course, because that cookie is SUPERNORMALLY STIMULATING, but lacking in nutrients that satieate, you don't stop at just one.). Immediately, the brain release opioids (Endorphins-the bod's own "feel food" compounds), which also have a reward effect. The release of opioids brings PLEASURE and EMOTIONAL relief, RELEASES stress, and generally makes you feel good.

Over time and with continued REINFORCEMENT, those dopamine pathways begin to light up at the mere suggestion of the food, like when you are driving past that bakery, see someone else eating a similiar-looking cookie, or watch a commercial for cookies on television. The DOPAMINE response (and the memory of the reward you will experience when you indulge) makes it all but impossible to resist the urge to satisfy that craving. Your WANT has turned into a NEED.

The Kicker?

You don't even have to be HUNGRY - because it is not about satisfying your HUNGER. It is about satisfying the CRAVING."

I love my new book "It starts with food". I will continue to share when I find great tidbits, such as this, and welcome your OWN favorite passages from this book if you have it :flowerforyou:

Thx:drinker: Deb
  • laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Already did two rounds (last year and this year), and starting another round today. Last time I pretty immediately reverted back to my full fat dairy and GF treats. I need to NOT do that. So here I am again. :) I'm a primal eater anyway, so when I deviate, it isn't too terrible, however I find that I eat more quality foods when I am Paleo (Whole30 compliant) than primal.
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    I'm on Day 6 and my kettlebell instructor loaned me her book. What an eye opener...and the bit about eating reduced fat/fat-free stuff. I feel free at last to eat properly. I thought I would miss dairy and grains (especially oatmeal and my pumpkin flax granola) but I haven't so far. So many recipes, so simple and being able to us good fats to cook in (coconut oil/ghee)

I feel satisfied earlier when eating and am not snacking on "healthy" diet bars or fat free yogurt. I'm already sleeping better and I've lost 2lb since last week.

I'm buying this book for myself this weekend, so I can give my loaned book back :)
  • lukaseem
    lukaseem Posts: 2
    Options
    I started the "Whole 30" on April 1. I'm on day six and in the throws of horrible sugar cravings, irritability and lethargy (or commonly known as "Carb Flu"). I've been eating more as the program suggests, but I feel weak and awful. I feel bad for my husband and child as I am definitely not my best self. I need some advice, love to get over this stage of the program. Anyone?