Dying for some saltfish fritters!

Options
SereneRose
SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
I really love these and not had in time but i'm following a low carb diet due to medical reasons (pcos).
I know I must use plain flour but was wondering if I could get away with almond flour or coconut flour or flax meal?

I don't want to go off plan but the way i'm hankering...

Thanks!

Replies

• ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i love saltfish fritters but i am not an expert at making them. tried once and it was a disaster. i bought some saltfish over the weekend so might have another go in the coming days. i am interested to hear the answers to your query below also.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Its all about the temperature of the Oil, even if you make what you think is the ultimate batter they can still flop lol, and that might change if you use a different type of flour so I don't know.
  • ackeebee
    Options
    tony, perhaps you can share your recipe with me so i can give it a go this weekend:wink:
  • TonyStark30
    Options
    tony, perhaps you can share your recipe with me so i can give it a go this weekend:wink:

I'll either have to make some or find where I gave someone else the recipe. Some people use eggs and all sorts but as long as you get the batter right so its wet but not so runny, and the oil HOT, you don't need these things!
    If the batter isn't wet enough the Hot Oil will burn them before they cook properly, if you turn down the heat to compensate you just get greasy fritters that aren't crisp.
  • ackeebee
    Options
    thanks. i will try your tips. i don't like mine with eggs. eggs make them too soft and fluffy. i like mine thin and crisp.
  • abfit4life
    abfit4life Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would experiment with all three items you mentioned starting with flaxmeal as that will have the lease carb load. The flaxmeal will be a bit coarse almost like cornmeal. The coconut flour would have a smoother texture and taste more familiar. Make a small batch and don't forget to add baking powder to the mix. Now you have my taste buds on high alert. While I do have all 3 floursI do not have any saltfish. :(
  • ackeebee
    Options
    i didn't think baking powder was used in fritters? or is that just an addition in case experimenting with other type of flour?
  • abfit4life
    Options
    Baking powder will lighten the texture of the fritters regardless of the type of flour you use. The fritters will have more volume and it won't be as "crispy" as the more traditional one.
  • SereneRose
    Options
    Thanks for all the help once I manage to find almond flour at a decent price I'm going to try it out.
  • ackeebee
    Options
    Thanks for all the help once I manage to find almond flour at a decent price I'm going to try it out.

let us know how it turns out:wink:
  • ackeebee
    Options
    Baking powder will lighten the texture of the fritters regardless of the type of flour you use. The fritters will have more volume and it won't be as "crispy" as the more traditional one.

ok, i like my fritters flat and crispy. that is one of the reasons i don't like fritters made with egg as i find them too soft and fluffy
  • abfit4life
    Options
    Yeah I like the flat and crispy version myself if I'm using regular flour. However, particularly with flaxmeal, it could get tough so the baking powder will help out. I'm hoping to make some this weekend. I picked up some salt fish yesterday and it was not cheap. BTW, why is it that saltfish was considered poor people food. At $5.99/pound I had to think twice.
  • ackeebee
    Options
    let me know how they turn out. i might just give it a try. you are right, saltfish is darn expensive. i bought some a little over a week ago. also i tend to buy the boneless one which is even more expensive.
  • SereneRose
    Options
    Ok I have the saltfish luckily for a small pack here it's only £1.99 but still don't want to ruin it so I have coconut flour and milled flaxseed how do I use these? Any particular recipes?
    Usually I just do flour, chilli pepper, onion, seasoning and water but never used these flours before.
    Will coconut floor leave a strong coconut taste?
    Will flax make it grainy? Should I blitz it first in a magic bullet?

Thanks.
  • abfit4life
    Options
    I've never combined both coconut and flaxmeal so I have no clue how that combo would work. Use the coconut flour as you would regular flour and follow your traditional recipe. I would add a pinch of baking powder. As for the coconut taste. I don't particularly notice one but then again I love all things coconut. If you choose to add the flaxmeal that is definitely grainy so a couple seconds in the magic bullet might help smooth it out a bit.

After all this talk I'm seriously going to set up my own taste test this weekend using the almond meal, coconut meal and flaxmeal. The hunt is on for the perfect low carb saltfish fritters.

Now that could be a real challenge we take up...modifying traditional recipes into healthier alternatives.
  • SereneRose
    Options
    I've never combined both coconut and flaxmeal so I have no clue how that combo would work. Use the coconut flour as you would regular flour and follow your traditional recipe. I would add a pinch of baking powder. As for the coconut taste. I don't particularly notice one but then again I love all things coconut. If you choose to add the flaxmeal that is definitely grainy so a couple seconds in the magic bullet might help smooth it out a bit.

After all this talk I'm seriously going to set up my own taste test this weekend using the almond meal, coconut meal and flaxmeal. The hunt is on for the perfect low carb saltfish fritters.

Now that could be a real challenge we take up...modifying traditional recipes into healthier alternatives.
    This will be my challenge this weekend.
    First I will make a coconut for sample then a flax sample still can't get almond flour here at a decent price, £1.99 for 100g what a teef!:mad:
  • TonyStark30
    Options
    Anyone actually Made any fritters yet? Good friday will come and go lol
  • ackeebee
    Options
    lol, i still haven't had a chance to make any. the saltfish is still sitting in my fridge! yes i keep it in the fridge. between now and the easter weekend i will have a go.
  • SereneRose
    Options
    Same.
    Mine is in my fridge too haha. I plan to do it between now and easter when I have more time for all the trial and error may throw some "calm me down fried snapper" into the mix to ease my pain when it don't come out right lol.
  • abfit4life
    Options
    Got really friendly with some bun and cheese this weekend so I had to forgo the fritters for now....Gotta limit the "treats" because too much of a good thing was what got me started on MFP in the first place. Stashed my saltfish in the freezer since its going to be a while before I get to use it...Planning on heading "home" for Spring Break suh mi deh hol owt fi de real ting...Yes sah! Mi cyan wait!!