Fish oil dosage

Options
Desmonema
Desmonema Posts: 175 Member
Hi my primal/paleo friends!
I know the topic has been discussed many times already... and not everybody does agree with it. But for the ones among you that regularly take it, what kind of dosage do you use and on what did you base your choice? (Maybe you have literature recommendations here, books or anything that really states something of how much to use). I am happy with my own dosage, but would like to be able to refer people to something when asked about dosage.
Thanks for your help!

Replies

• Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this as well
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I take a tablespoon of Vitamin shoppes store brand Omega 3 fish oil. Lemon flavored and one of the only ones I could take with out burping later. Liquid for of course. Hate all the pills.
  • Desmonema
    Options
    So how many grams/milligrams of EPA+DHA do you get in total, that was what I was wondering about?
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    Okay One teaspoon has the following and I take three. I have many reasons, the main one is a good friend of mine was a pharmacist who got out of the business and started selling supplements and vitamins. He said if people only took one thing extra he would recommend fish oils, and most take far too little.

800 EPA /500 DHA

I take 3 times this amount!
  • Desmonema
    Options
    So you end up having about 2 and a half gram of it, right!? I am taking about 2 as well, am curious about the experiences of others with that...
    Did you notice any specific change/improvement from taking it?
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    Yes i think we are at about the same amounts! I think my joints feel better but that is also probably from the changes in my food too. IMO it is probably one of the most important supplements to take!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    My dr has me taking 1 TBS liquid fish oil a day. The serving size on the bottle is for 1 tsp. That contains 1600 mg omega 3's - 800 mg EPA / 500 mg DHA plus 300 mg of other omega 3's. So I guess I am taking 3 times that amount.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    My dr has me taking 1 TBS liquid fish oil a day. The serving size on the bottle is for 1 tsp. That contains 1600 mg omega 3's - 800 mg EPA / 500 mg DHA plus 300 mg of other omega 3's. So I guess I am taking 3 times that amount.

I found one I can stomach no problem, I take the same amount. It is the Vitamin shops lemon , no after taste!
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm taking Barlean's 1000 mg soft gels: 2 contain EPA 370, DHA 230, other omega3 150. I actually take 3 day, one with each meal. No burps.
  • Desmonema
    Options
    Keep it up guys, I think you are doing it right. Just read a publication today that found out that it REALLY improves joint aches and helps with rheumatoid arthritis. Very good stuff.
    I am taking Eskimo-3 fish oil BTW. I always try to find an oil that has higher DHA than EPA (DHA is better absorbed obviously) and without added Vit A. Overdosed Vit A is supposedly inhibits Vitamin D, so I do never opt for Cod liver oil or so.