How do you keep carbs below 25?

Options
TempeB
TempeB Posts: 43 Member
I've been trying really, really hard to do this, but I find it almost impossible to do, especially given that all vegetables have some. Three here, two there, four there, it adds up so fast.

Replies

• kimmay172
    Options
    Cut out root vegetables. Remember that it is 'net carbs' - subtract you fiber when calculating the below 25 carb number.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of meat. :)
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Subtract your fiber. It got a helluva lot easier for me after I did that. Also, eat more spinach. It has protein AND fiber in addition to it's carbs, so IMO it's definitely carbs that are "worth" it.
  • sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I start my plan with the veggies I want to eat that week, then add meat, cheese, condiments to my plan. I plan it right here in the food diary. I use the recipe builder a lot.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Fresh meat has 0 carbs (chicken, turkey, beef, fish, pork).

Green and leafy vegetables have minimal carbs per servings.

My plate is filled with 6-8oz of protein (meat or eggs) and the other portion is 1oz of cheese (no more than 4oz a day) and 1 cup of a side vegetable (broccoli) and 1-2 cups of salad (lettuce, spinach and tomato). I still to oil dressing for 0 carbs or use regular dressing that has no more than 2 net carbs.

Snacks are a piece of cheese and a few almonds or some boiled eggs with a tsp of mayo.

I find it very easy to stay 20-25net carbs and be full all day.

I highly suggest the Reddit forum : http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/

From there you can find a variety of recipes and tips. There is also a recipe forum: http://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes

Net carbs = carbs - fiber
  • sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I eat a lot of fat. Triple cream brie - an ounce has no carbs. I liberally butter everything. I made a batch of oopsie bread the other day and ate a butter sandwich. I am not kidding! It was delicious.

Snacks are olives or small dill pickles, some cheese, some meat like salami or soprasata.

You can look at my food diary - it's open.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I need to make some Oopsie Rolls. I bough a large block of cream cheese (Froze 1/2) from a place like Sams Club and Costco. I wanted to start testing some of these roll , crusts, and pancake recipes I keep seeing.

Fat is your friend. Healthy fat. Its the world best appetite suppressant. No lie. True story.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling too!

Unless I eat too much below my BMR (2230) I cannot stick to 20 a day. Yesterday for example despite my best efforts it was 30.

Cheese has carbs, cream has carbs. Why, even the prawns I am eating today have carbs and when I make th marie rose sauce to go with them, that has carbs, too!

To those who say eat more protein - I would HAPPILY do so, but I am scared to. I keep on reading that protein foods can turn to glucose, too! But how much protein do I have to eat before this happens? Nobody can tell me. So I try not to eat more than 100g in a day, or more than 200g portion of meat at any one sitting.

Can anyone help?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and look at my diary. I'm close to that and almost always under when only net carbs are counted (carbs minus insoluble fibre).

Cream should NOT have carbs. Get the full fat kind. However, after a trip to the US, I know that the cream down there is pretty screwed up. Lots of bad stuff in it and very long shelf life. I would quit drinking it if I lived there; unless I could get it direct from a farmer. I'd go Bulletproof for sure! Same thing with cheese; there are some with zero carbs, but I limit cheese too.

Don't be scared of protein, but definitely, I try to be careful. Too much protein and/or carbs and then my fat gets too low. The fat is the number one, main important nutrient. Also, with a high fat diet, I don't have to eat huge volumes of food to fill up, so reduced veggies mean reduced carbs. (and no, I'm not saying "don't eat any veggies", but I have found that I am healthier on only a few cups per day).

Other than that, it's probably no biggie if your carbs are 10% of your calories. That's what my setting is at and most days I am nowhere close and I'm ketogenic all the time even over 20 grams.
  • gmansmom2
    gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling too!

Unless I eat too much below my BMR (2230) I cannot stick to 20 a day. Yesterday for example despite my best efforts it was 30.

Cheese has carbs, cream has carbs. Why, even the prawns I am eating today have carbs and when I make th marie rose sauce to go with them, that has carbs, too!

To those who say eat more protein - I would HAPPILY do so, but I am scared to. I keep on reading that protein foods can turn to glucose, too! But how much protein do I have to eat before this happens? Nobody can tell me. So I try not to eat more than 100g in a day, or more than 200g portion of meat at any one sitting.

Can anyone help?

I looked at your diary - you have only logged food for 1 day in February so it is hard to make any suggestions that are specific. Here is what I have:
    1) Log your food everyday
    2) If you are on Keto set your macros on your food diary. Go to goals - chose custom - change fat to at least 65% (I do 75%) Protein to 25% and Carbs to 10%.
    3) Remove Sugar and add Fiber to your macros. You will need to subtract fiber from your carbs to get net carbs. You will try to stay low on your NET CARBS not carbs.
    4) Give this a couple weeks to work. If you are doing well consider increasing fat and decreasing carbs.

Hope this helps some.
  • gmansmom2
    gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've been trying really, really hard to do this, but I find it almost impossible to do, especially given that all vegetables have some. Three here, two there, four there, it adds up so fast.

Your diary is not open so I can't make any specific suggestions for you.

Make sure you are thinking about net carbs = carbs - fiber. It is much easier to get more veggies in that way. Stick with broccoli, asparagus, spinach, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, etc. Eat more cheese, nuts, butter, cream, and fresh meats and seafood.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options

Your diary is not open so I can't make any specific suggestions for you.

Make sure you are thinking about net carbs = carbs - fiber. It is much easier to get more veggies in that way. Stick with broccoli, asparagus, spinach, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, etc. Eat more cheese, nuts, butter, cream, and fresh meats and seafood.

Just a point on the net carb thing, be careful when adding foods to your diary that may be available in both USA and UK. I am in the UK and the carbs listed on the nutritional information is already "net". So when I look at foods here I list just the carbs.

Not a problem for most as we have different brands, but if its a brand in both the UK and USA make sure the nutritional info matches up to your packaging so you are using the right ones or you might end up eating more carbs than you think.
  • turbojam_rocks
    turbojam_rocks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have been doing LCHF for about 3 weeks now...I also find it difficult to stay under 30g aday.. most days I do,but i am somewhat of a coffeeholic.and most of my carbs are from sugar..Haven't found a sugar substitute yet that I like...And also I know this might be off topic but,,my first weigh in 2 weeks later I lost 3 pounds,,Then the next week..nothing..Is this normal? or am I doing something wrong?
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I have been doing LCHF for about 3 weeks now...I also find it difficult to stay under 30g aday.. most days I do,but i am somewhat of a coffeeholic.and most of my carbs are from sugar..Haven't found a sugar substitute yet that I like...And also I know this might be off topic but,,my first weigh in 2 weeks later I lost 3 pounds,,Then the next week..nothing..Is this normal? or am I doing something wrong?
    If you'd like, open up your diary and we can take a look and provide feedback. But sugar is a no-no. It's likely preventing you from maintaining ketosis. Are you monitoring ketosis with ketostix?
  • turbojam_rocks
    turbojam_rocks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I live in a small town,but as soon as I get to the city I will pick some up...My diary is open now,,and would really love any suggestions you might have:))) Thank-you
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My diary is open now,,and would really love any suggestions you might have:))) Thank-you

I glanced at your diary--now I'm no pro, but I would HIGHLY suggest you nix the sugar. It is not helping with ketosis at all, and even though it doesn't seem like much--it is with a low-carb diet. Also, drink MORE water. It might take a few days to get used to it--but try doubling what your water intake is. Add more veggies (my diary looks like crap as far as veggies go). The majority of the carbs you consume should come from veggies.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options

I looked at your diary - you have only logged food for 1 day in February so it is hard to make any suggestions that are specific. Here is what I have:
    2) If you are on Keto set your macros on your food diary. Go to goals - chose custom - change fat to at least 65% (I do 75%) Protein to 25% and Carbs to 10%.
    3) Remove Sugar and add Fiber to your macros. You will need to subtract fiber from your carbs to get net carbs. You will try to stay low on your NET CARBS not carbs.
    4) Give this a couple weeks to work. If you are doing well consider increasing fat and decreasing carbs.

Hope this helps some.

On my profile it states that my food diary is kept on fatsecret.com, where it is public. I have logged faithfully every single day since 6th Jan. I am really sorry that you did not see that.

I use full fat fresh double cream and it DOES have carbs. It is written on the pot. I use milk in my tea. I never touch anything with sugar. I have rarely got my carbs under 30 -- the usual count is 30 to 45 - and I cannot get into ketosis (check sticks daily).

I have changed my goals on THIS site about ten times but next time I log in it has reverted me back to a high carb diet, so I have given up. I don't like the food tracker on here it does not recognise any of the things I eat. (I am in the UK)
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    I made a batch of oopsie bread the other day and ate a butter sandwich. I am not kidding! It was delicious.

You are my hero :-)
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Hope this helps some.

On my profile it states that my food diary is kept on fatsecret.com, where it is public. I have logged faithfully every single day since 6th Jan. I am really sorry that you did not see that.

I use full fat fresh double cream and it DOES have carbs. It is written on the pot. I use milk in my tea. I never touch anything with sugar. I have rarely got my carbs under 30 -- the usual count is 30 to 45 - and I cannot get into ketosis (check sticks daily).

I have changed my goals on THIS site about ten times but next time I log in it has reverted me back to a high carb diet, so I have given up. I don't like the food tracker on here it does not recognise any of the things I eat. (I am in the UK)

Take a look at my diary, and some of your other keto friends.. I regularly eat below 20g! Cheese shouldn't have carbs unless it's shredded or cubed or something. Though the last few days have been iffy because I was on the road all day..and had to eat at our aunts.. boo!
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    from turbojam_rock
    I live in a small town,but as soon as I get to the city I will pick some up...My diary is open now,,and would really love any suggestions you might have:))) Thank-you

OK. Here's what I see from your diary. Here are your last 7 days macros (darn MFP for not having the Pie Chart on the website, like they do on the IOS apps - that Pie Chart helps soooo much).
    Carbs Fat Protein
    12% 53% 19%
    32% 36% 16%
    11% 64% 22%
    9% 68% 21%
    13% 53% 32%
    10% 69% 21%
    8% 55% 26%

1 - Your daily macros are all over the place. Days where your fats are as low as 36%, 53% and 55% in all likelhood, you are no longer in ketosis. Ketosis needs fats. Protein and Carbs inhibit ketosis. Obviously, on those days, with your fat low, you've got higher protein or carbs going on. The basis of keto is ketosis, and this is going to block you.

2 - From your foods: the sugar cubes are a big issue, along with veggie wraps, french onion soup mi, and cool whip. All of those are boosting your carbs up. Wraps in particular are known for stalling people. Try using a lettuce wrap, or going the salad route. Try, try, try to find a sweetener that you can live with. For your morning coffee, drop the "table cream", and have heavy cream. instead of that 1 tbsp cream, have a 1/4 of cream. You will probably find you need a lot less sweetener when you add a lot more cream. That will also help boost your fat. Try adding a tsp of unsweetened cocoa to the coffee with your sweetener to give it a different flavor profile to "fool" your taste buds that are not liking sweeteners. (heck - maybe you can get down to a single sugar cube by using some cocoa and 1/4 Cup cream). My preferred sweeteners are erythritol, xyla, truvia and stevia. Some splenda also. The sugar is going to hold you back though, so try to power through your dislike.

3 - Water. Most days I only saw 4, 5, or 6 cups of water. Really challenge yourself here. Try to drink AT LEAST the 8 glasses, and try a few days of 12 glasses.

Some good things I saw were Peanut Butter, Cheese, and Bacon. Very good! Add the heavy cream, and make fresh whipped cream instead of cool whip (yes, need that sweetener for this too). Add more sour cream too.

Here's a great article on increasing those fats:
    http://www.carbsmart.com/10-healthy-high-fat-foods-perfect-for-nutritional-ketosis.html

Good Luck. You aren't far, just need to make some tweaks and you will be there!