Cervical Fusion

Options
breezylee75
breezylee75 Posts: 101 Member
Hello, in addition to extreme anxiety about going into the free weight section of my gym, I had a cervical fusion done about two years ago. I had therapy after and was given a list of doctor "approved" exercises-which included mainly the machines. I guess my question is if anyone else on here is in the same situation. Since then I have strayed away from the weight section and gotten involved in the cycle/interval classes at my gym. I would really like to give this training a shot, any help would be appreciated. Then the only obstacle would be to set foot into the dreaded unknown-who knows what would happen to me in there!!!! (Ugh!!!) I wish I had someone that would go in with me, but no one I know is willing to do this sort of thing. :(

Replies

• chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    This is definitely a question for your doctor! Good luck!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Definitely ask your Surgeon. After two years, I don't see how it would be a problem. Don't be anxious about the weights section. Once you go that first time, you'll realize it's nothing to fear! Hope you can join us soon!
  • breezylee75
    breezylee75 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,008 Member
    Options
    I think you can also investigate, with a personal trainer and/or physical therapist, whether or not free-weights are an option. Just because "some" of the moves may be on your "no" list, doesn't mean that:

1. other exercises might be just fine; or
    2. there may be "alternatives" that will work, even with free weights.

Looks like you have a number of conversations to have, shortly, before really hitting the weights!