Continue losing weight or start building muscles?

Options
_SABOTEUR_
_SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
In total I've lost about 90lbs in the past 3 years (50lbs since May 2012). I've reached my initial goal weight of 205lbs (I am now 203lbs and 6ft4, BMI 24.7) and the absolute lowest I want to go down to is 190lbs.

I'm wondering if I should start to bulk (I currently do Stronglifts and Insanity at the same time in small calorie deficit) to gain muscle and then lose the remaining fat or if it will be better to lose the fat first and then start to build up my muscle.

I realise there are probably pros and cons to both, but I'd really appreciate people's opinions about which one will work best for me.

My only time limit goal atm is to look good with my top off in the summer. Dunno if that'll make a difference.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion..and I know we need to get back to you with your BF% estimate, but your BF% is too high to be ideal to bulk. I would look to go as low as you are comfortable and then bulk.

Rule of thumb: bulk at 10% or lower, cut at 15%. These %ages may well be higher if you do not have the LBM to support going as low as 10% and you may need to bulk at a higher BF%.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    Options
    Thanks, Sara. I realise I am nowhere near 10% and over 15% as well, so those benchmarks really help.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion..and I know we need to get back to you with your BF% estimate, but your BF% is too high to be ideal to bulk. I would look to go as low as you are comfortable and then bulk.

Rule of thumb: bulk at 10% or lower, cut at 15%. These %ages may well be higher if you do not have the LBM to support going as low as 10% and you may need to bulk at a higher BF%.

Can you please provide the guides for females, please? This is the gist of the question I've had.

Sorry to hijack a thread.

Thanks,
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Can you please provide the guides for females, please? This is the gist of the question I've had.

Sorry to hijack a thread.

Thanks,

19-27% is a reasonable ballpark.

A good read: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the response.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Thanks! (Bump)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    How long have you been doing Stronglifts or a similar program for?
  • _SABOTEUR_
    Options
    Thanks for article link SideSteel.

The article mentions body recomposition:

'fatter trainees can usually gain some muscle while losing fat with a basic recomposition plan'

I tried this using http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/ but the variance between exercise and rest days was about 1500 cals and I found this too difficult to maintain.

Is their any more literature you can recommend about body recomp? And what are your personal opinions about it?
  • _SABOTEUR_
    Options
    How long have you been doing Stronglifts or a similar program for?

Stronglifts for about 8-9 weeks. Before that I did dumbbell workouts at home 3 sets 6-10 reps of various exercises (more isolation exercises than compound). I worked to failure on most exercises, but didn't increase weight very often (about once a month). I did that for about 5 months between July and December.
  • SideSteel
    Options

'fatter trainees can usually gain some muscle while losing fat with a basic recomposition plan'

I tried this using http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/ but the variance between exercise and rest days was about 1500 cals and I found this too difficult to maintain.

Is their any more literature you can recommend about body recomp? And what are your personal opinions about it?

I don't believe it's necessary to take a cyclical approach unless there are preferential reasons for it. A steady intake will get you great results.

I think at least one issue you've had (and don't get me wrong, there are MANY people who would love to say they've lost 90lbs so you should be proud --- I'm just trying to clarify something here) -- is not increasing the weight as you are lifting.

Moving forward you should be attempting to increase strength as time goes on. This is pretty much mandatory and it will make a considerable difference in your physique over the course of time.

If you are lifting the exact same weight three months from now, at the same volume/density/etc, you will at best maintain LBM.

In your current position I would guess that you may be able to gain a small amount of LBM in a deficit, but that's a total guess on my part.
  • jimlambrt2
    jimlambrt2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    what sort of caloric surplus should I be using to build muscle. I don't want to put fat back on... is it possible to stay lean and build muscle?
  • _SABOTEUR_
    Options

I don't believe it's necessary to take a cyclical approach unless there are preferential reasons for it. A steady intake will get you great results.

I think at least one issue you've had (and don't get me wrong, there are MANY people who would love to say they've lost 90lbs so you should be proud --- I'm just trying to clarify something here) -- is not increasing the weight as you are lifting.

Moving forward you should be attempting to increase strength as time goes on. This is pretty much mandatory and it will make a considerable difference in your physique over the course of time.

If you are lifting the exact same weight three months from now, at the same volume/density/etc, you will at best maintain LBM.

In your current position I would guess that you may be able to gain a small amount of LBM in a deficit, but that's a total guess on my part.

Thanks. I am now doing this with Stronglifts. I increase 2.5kg every session as the guide suggests. It's still pretty easy with deads and squats (both at 90kg now). Not so much with bench, shoulder and rows (45-55kg range at mo).
  • SideSteel
    Options
    what sort of caloric surplus should I be using to build muscle. I don't want to put fat back on... is it possible to stay lean and build muscle?

Generally speaking I'd start around 10% above TDEE and shoot for about .5lb/week or so rate of gain, but see below as this can vary based on training experience/etc.

You're going to put on fat while bulking but keeping your rate of gain somewhat reasonable will help to reduce the fatassery.

See here for some good brainfood: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html

EDIT: I linked this earlier in the thread, but if you missed it, read this too:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Thanks. I am now doing this with Stronglifts. I increase 2.5kg every session as the guide suggests. It's still pretty easy with deads and squats (both at 90kg now). Not so much with bench, shoulder and rows (45-55kg range at mo).

I think it would be beneficial to continue to do the Stronglifts program for a while longer before looking to bulk. This will allow you to get your form down better and make more strength gains, and therefore be at a higher potential for muscle gains when you do bulk.

So, in summary, and hopefully SideSteel will call me an idiot if he disagrees (which will be funny..and when I say funny...well....), but I would:

- keep cutting with a modest caloric deficit
    - keep progressing with Stronglifts
    - give it *at least* 4 months more of Stronglifts before bulking
    - if you get too thin for comfort prior to that, up your calories to maintenance
    - when ready (possibly in the fall), start upping your calories to get yourself 200 - 300 above maintenance to bulk.
  • SideSteel
    Options

I think it would be beneficial to continue to do the Stronglifts program for a while longer before looking to bulk. This will allow you to get your form down better and make more strength gains, and therefore be at a higher potential for muscle gains when you do bulk.

So, in summary, and hopefully SideSteel will call me an idiot if he disagrees (which will be funny..and when I say funny...well....), but I would:

- keep cutting with a modest caloric deficit
    - keep progressing with Stronglifts
    - give it *at least* 4 months more of Stronglifts before bulking
    - if you get too thin for comfort prior to that, up your calories to maintenance
    - when ready (possibly in the fall), start upping your calories to get yourself 200 - 300 above maintenance to bulk.

The only thing I'd interject with would be to check back with us via PM in about 4 week intervals. I'd like to see what changes you go through in about 8 weeks in terms of stats/lifts/etc. Hard to predict at what point you'll need to adjust intake.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    Options
    Thanks guys. I will do as you suggest. I think I'm just getting itchy feet as it's much slower progress, bodywise, now that I'm at a much lower weight.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Thanks guys. I will do as you suggest. I think I'm just getting itchy feet as it's much slower progress, bodywise, now that I'm at a much lower weight.

As you get leaner and leaner the smaller changes are more noticeable so you'll have that to look forward to.
  • jimlambrt2
    jimlambrt2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I had read that link.. thanks for the info! I'm going to stabilize at my current weight for a couple of weeks and then get started bulking up for a month or so.... sort of scary to put weight back on, but this time it's INTENTIONAL, which makes me happy.

Generally speaking I'd start around 10% above TDEE and shoot for about .5lb/week or so rate of gain, but see below as this can vary based on training experience/etc.

You're going to put on fat while bulking but keeping your rate of gain somewhat reasonable will help to reduce the fatassery.

See here for some good brainfood: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html

EDIT: I linked this earlier in the thread, but if you missed it, read this too:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    You guys bulking for the sake of bulking? Or doing it to get stronger? You don't have to bulk to get stronger technically
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    You guys bulking for the sake of bulking? Or doing it to get stronger? You don't have to bulk to get stronger technically

I cannot answer for the others but I am going to bulk soon to gain LBM, which among other things, increases your strength potential.