can I use Stevia in my coffee in the morning?

Options
judychicken
judychicken Posts: 937 Member
I have 3 cups of coffee a day can I use Stevia on this New program for me?

Replies

• Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    ...you could, but why ruin a perfectly good coffee?

IMO, it's a bad idea. You're trying to cut the addiction to sugar here, not feed it in another way.
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i've seen quite a few people talk about using coconut oil instead as a sweetener. but don't take my word for how it tastes or anything, i can't stand coffee in any form
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    i've seen quite a few people talk about using coconut oil instead as a sweetener. but don't take my word for how it tastes or anything, i can't stand coffee in any form

i can't stand coffee in any form

i can't stand coffee
    coffee

O.O
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I tried bulletproof coffee this morning for the first time and found I didn't need any sweetener at all. It tasted great because it had lots of delicious fat! Maybe check that out instead.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Your a big girl and can do whatever you want but I agree with the previous post here. Try your best to not eat anything 'artificial', read labels, artificial junk is hidden in processed foods. One excellent book out there is 'Practical Paleo' I recommend it in the book form, not kindle! It is awesome and full of great info!
  • shelleycc
    Options
    Yeah, I'm pretty much against all artificial sweeteners. My husband still uses sucralose in his coffee, but I am seriously eliminating artificial sweeteners from my kids' diets as best as I can. I took myself from (a) a touch of splenda in my coffee to, (b) coffee with a tablespoon of coconut oil stirred in and a touch of SweetLeaf stevia, to (c) coffee with just the coconut oil stirred in. I will let my kids have honey and maybe some sugar, but I think that artificial sweeteners are a nasty business, especially since my older boy has ADHD. Stevia is extracted from a plant, but I think the factories have artificial-ized the powdered forms just as badly as all the other little colored packets. If I remember correctly, agave nectar is packed-full of fructose, so that can be a big fat-maker for me.

Try a google search on "paleo artificial sweeteners" to get all the big guys' opinions on artificial sweeteners' role in a paleo lifestyle.

Sigh. Pick your poison, I suppose. Or better yet...none at all!
  • njdoll
    njdoll Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Not all stevias are created equal. Sweetleaf is a well regarded brand. Mark at Mark's Daily Apple has no beef with it. Can possibly has some health benefits (see link below) and if you like it in your coffee, get a good quality one. I use it myself.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/stevia/#axzz2LXEbvREu
  • 3rdxacharm
    3rdxacharm Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have been off diet sodas ( previously down to one a day) 5 days now in addition to weening off artificial sweetner in my bulletproof coffee. I have used one truvia packet and one raw sugar packet each day this week. Next week I think just the one packet of raw sugar.
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Stevia will drive your insulin response which it have lead you to be straving and tired later of the day. Think about it.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I don't consider stevia to be paleo, no. I don't drink coffee, though!
  • dwest1976
    dwest1976 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey to black coffee, but I find that vanilla Almond Milk gives it a nice touch of sweetness and takes the edge off when I need something less bitter.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    A while back I decided not to use artificial sweeteners. I was staring at my cup of coffee one day, thinking about how acidic it is, and wondering why people choose to drink it and then load it up with artificial flavorings. I wondered if people didn't like it as is, why don't they drink water, or tea? I decided to drink it black, maybe with some milk as protein from now on!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    IMHO, bite the bullet and drink it black. It's nasty at first, in 3 weeks you'll start to enjoy your black coffee.
  • evilmj31
    evilmj31 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I can't touch the stuff, all artificial sweetners make me sick...Stevia causes me to have horrible stomach cramps among other unpleasantness....but then again I don't drink coffee either.....so do what you have to do. But I am with the others, I avoid sugars artifical or otherwise anytime I can.
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    A while back I decided not to use artificial sweeteners. I was staring at my cup of coffee one day, thinking about how acidic it is, and wondering why people choose to drink it and then load it up with artificial flavorings. I wondered if people didn't like it as is, why don't they drink water, or tea? I decided to drink it black, maybe with some milk as protein from now on!

this is exactly my opinion on so many things. if you don't like it as is, then don't doctor it to make it palatable. just learn to like the basic flavour, or avoid it.
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I use liquid stevia in my coffee along with coconut milk, and in my sweet tea.